Finally! Points deducted

G

Gordon Fan

#48 team the first to lose points for an illegal part.

Good. I hope they continue and are consistant.

How do you know it's illegal? Do you have a link to a complete accounting of what occured? I would like to read it. Thank you. :) I just don't trust that NASCAR isn't doing a "make a rule as we go" sorta thing. :(

The only info I can find is posted in the Daytona Penalties thread. But the points were deducted.

Well Trish, if Nascar takes away points and levies a huge fine, I think it is understood that it was illegal.:D

Offset trailing arm mounting bolts are probably not addressed by name in the NASCAR rules. But the effect they have on the rear axle and the wheelbase of the car are addressed.

Essentially these type of mounts will allow the wheelbase of the car to change as the rear suspension is compressed by both aero downforce and centrifugal forces in the banking. The wheelbase of the cars is specified exactly in the rule book and an attempt by a team to alter this length during the course of the race is illegal. It would seem to follow that any parts which create this are also illegal.

Originally posted by Gordon Fan
Well Trish, if Nascar takes away points and levies a huge fine, I think it is understood that it was illegal.:D

Originally posted by trish
Naw...They make it up as they go.

They don't make up a lot of the rules. (Or at least I hope not). I do think they may be selective in the enforcement of the rules and what the penalty may be.
I'm also sure that they have to have some vagueness in the rules as the teams are constantly coming up with new ideas that no one had thought about before. I mean, come on, if NASCAR allowed anything on wheels to take the track you might have a race or something. The different manufacturers could try different things that might actually filter down thru their commercial line. We can't have anything like innovation and daring as a part of racing. Do you want to return back to the '50s and '60s?

Good explanation HS. I'm not sure that we should assume anything as far as the rules go though. That's what gives the teams the grey area they can be innovative with.

Originally posted by barelypure

They don't make up a lot of the rules. (Or at least I hope not). I do think they may be selective in the enforcement of the rules and what the penalty may be.  
I'm also sure that they have to have some vagueness in the rules as the teams are constantly coming up with new ideas that no one had thought about before.  I mean, come on, if NASCAR allowed anything on wheels to take the track you might have a race or something. The different manufacturers could try different things that might actually filter down thru their commercial line. We can't have anything like innovation and daring as a part of racing. Do you want to return back to the '50s and '60s?
I would like the racing to return back to the '50s and '60s. :lurking: You look familiar...it's the eyes. gray...?

Originally posted by trish
I would like the racing  to return back to the '50s and '60s.  :lurking:   You look familiar...it's the eyes.  gray...?

I was wondering the same thing trish... could it be?

:)

Originally posted by HardScrabble
Offset trailing arm mounting bolts are probably not addressed by name in the NASCAR rules. But the effect they have on the rear axle and the wheelbase of the car are addressed.

LMAO!!! Hey, that's pretty good!! Deserves and mention in any "UN Fair Advantage" re-publication.

Windsor

Sometimes innovation and fair play collide. Any sanctioning body will or has found itself faced with this dilemma. NASCAR is no exception. Witness the Firecracker some 33 years ago.

LeeRoy Yarborough started the 1969 Firecracker 400 with the tailpipes exiting under the rear bumper, rather then out the sides as was common practice. But the rule books said nothing about where the tailpipes had to come out of the car so he was allowed to run them that way. As it turned out when other drivers tried to draft off of LeeRoy's car, the hot exhaust gases blowing directly into their radiator caused the car behind his to overheat. Not to mention getting that cars driver sick and woozy from breathing carbon monoxide. Yarborough won the race. NASCAR rewrote the rules to say tailpipes had to come out the sides of the car.

What an evil way to wipe out the competition. LeeRoy Yarborough and his crew were geniuses! I wish I could have been around for those races. They were a helluva lot more interesting than what went on in Daytona last Saturday. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom