Firestone's RedWall Tires

D

DanicaFan

Well, the IndyCar Series is implementing a new tire alternative tire concept this year. Firestone has come up with a new tire that is similiar to the current racing slicks but have a softer tread which provides more grip. These tires have red sidewalls. This will allow you to have a quicker lap time.

Each car will get 3 sets of the new red sidewall tires. Each team is required to use at least one set of these for at least 2 green flag laps for each road/street course event. A team can even use these tires during qualifications on road courses to try and obtain a faster lap time resulting in a better starting position. The team however must leave at least one set untouched to use during the race itself.

A softer tire for better grip will wear out quicker so the use of these will come down to good strategy.
I like this new tire concept. I think it will make for interesting strategies. Do you use them for a better qualifying run, start out with them during the race to get a headstart of use them late to gain positions and make a run for the checkered ?

Firestone has a good thing here. I think this will be another good addition to racing strategy. This new tire concept will start for the season opener at St. Petersburgh on April 4-5th.

Here is a picture of them...

Attachments

• redtires-inside-03242009.jpg
    redtires-inside-03242009.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 257
Well, the IndyCar Series is implementing a new tire alternative tire concept this year. Firestone has come up with a new tire that is similiar to the current racing slicks but have a softer tread which provides more grip. These tires have red sidewalls. This will allow you to have a quicker lap time.

Each car will get 3 sets of the new red sidewall tires. Each team is required to use at least one set of these for at least 2 green flag laps for each road/street course event. A team can even use these tires during qualifications on road courses to try and obtain a faster lap time resulting in a better starting position. The team however must leave at least one set untouched to use during the race itself.

A softer tire for better grip will wear out quicker so the use of these will come down to good strategy.
I like this new tire concept. I think it will make for interesting strategies. Do you use them for a better qualifying run, start out with them during the race to get a headstart of use them late to gain positions and make a run for the checkered ?

Firestone has a good thing here. I think this will be another good addition to racing strategy. This new tire concept will start for the season opener at St. Petersburgh on April 4-5th.

Here is a picture of them...

Not really a new concept, just slightly different than the one CCWS used.

that's what i thought. F1 has same deal too..but they use a green dot don't they?

From F1's site: A green band on the sidewall of the softer compound allows spectators to distinguish which tyre a driver is on.

I didn't like this in CCWS or F1 and am very disappointed IRL has adopted this policy. It's more micro-managing. I hope IRL doesn't go to forced pit windows like CCWS did a season or two back. Let the drivers race, and the crew chiefs determine their own tire and pit strategies. Very disappointing. :mad:

Today's race in Toronto is the first I realized there's red sidewall requirement.
OK, I'll apologise for being slow. Took me 15 laps today to finally do a Google search on what the deal was with the reds. On the bright side, that's when I found this forum.

Normally, I'd agree with aj, but this change, and those like it are more about tire research by the tire manufacturers than anything. Seems to be a fair way of getting real-time, real-race condition data on their tires.

Does complicate the strategy somewhat. But, all are on equal footing this way.

Two green-flag laps doesn't seem much of problem. Yet, that comes to one pit stop in reality.

...race on.

Back
Top Bottom