First corner melee results in penalties...

B

BebiF1

Ralf Shumacher was handed a 10 grid spot penalty for his "avoidable accident" that caused several cars to end up with damaged. Shumacher stated that he didn't make any sudden moves and the other two(Rubens and Raikonnen) had time to move out of his way. All three drivers were called to the stewards office after the race for a little chat.

My opinion is that these guys don't watch Nascar. When you get three wide going into a corner someone has to lift. Usually the fool on the outside or the chicken in the middle. I don't think it was Ralf's fault entirely but do think Rubens was an innocent bystander as Raikonnen made a brave move with wheels in the grass to get by. Ralf once again isn't paying attention and moves over into another car(Rubens) and the chain reaction starts there.

I think if Ralf would have held his line, Raikonnen would have lifted being on the outside, and Rubens then would have possibly lifted also to not take Ralf in two wide. All in all it was a racing accident in my mind. Stuff happens but its a shame those three had to be knocked out because with them in the race, it might have been really good having another three cars battling for the win and Juan might not have run away.

Its also worth mentioning that Willams have appelaed against the decision and will go before the FIA in Paris later this month. Where the penalty could be overturned. I hope it is, it was just a racing incident after all, and Ralf did lose out in a big way..

Accidents are prone to happen from time to time, and we don't see people getting penalties for sticking their car down the inside and not make the corner and take two cars out, do we?(Jensen Button and David Coulthard) Those are avoidable accidents, and in situations where the the one who causes the wreck gets knocked out himself, I believe should not be penalized. It was bad enough he lost up to 10 points for the mistake.

Back
Top Bottom