First ever provisional

Yes, that's Jeff Gordon's first provisional he's ever used.

Did he bobble in qualifying or something???

No bobble really, car just ran like sh!t! :D

Jeff ended a couple of streaks this season, Losing, DNF and now provisional;

There are only two types of teams when it comes to stuff like qualifying, those who have had a miserable day, and those that are going to.;)

WOOHOOO!! Maybe his car will be the same on race day, one can only hope.

Hey, give the guy a break. He isn't competing for the championship this year, is he?

i knew he was struggling but didn't think he'd be that far back.....but this is the kind of thing that usually ends up with Jeff winning or atleast close to it....

Originally posted by hooty3181529
.....but this is the kind of thing that usually ends up with Jeff winning or atleast close to it....

No matter what you think of him pro or con, we all know he's a fierce competitor. He'll pick himself up, dust off a bit, make adjustments tomorrow and give it all he's got on Sunday.

Say what you want about the 4 Time Cup Champion, but 10 years without using a provisional was incredible in this day and age.:D

Haha, Paul very true. He might start bumping people out of the way to get to the front.

RPM, another year without him competing for the championship another year I'll be happy.

That's right, if Gordon isn't doing well, he might become more dangerous on the track than Robby Gordon. Should be interesting to watch.

Originally posted by Gordon Fan
Say what you want about the 4 Time Cup Champion, but 10 years without using a provisional was incredible in this day and age.:D

i think thats an understatement....lol

Maybe he was just too close to his old home and couldn't keep his mind on the track. May of had visions of running over a former Miss Winston. Or maybe her voodo was working.

stupid Jeff.. I think Gordon will keep his cool. I think he is in control of is feelings.

Ciggie wrote: "another year without him competing for the championship another year I'll be happy"

Well, he has been in contention for 8 years in a row and won 4 of those, which is half by the way. No wonder you are so miserable!:D

I'm a Jeff fan, but I have to say, he didn't look good in qualifying. It's just not his year. But, the first time he has had to use a provisional, is a pretty impressive record.

Just wait till next year, he'll be champ again.:D

Doesn't bother me at all that the jeff has struggled this year. As a team with Ray in the highest funded car out there he was practically unstoppable. Without Ray his humanity is beginning to show.

I think when they were in the shop painting cars, they mixed up the #24 and the #25 :D

Originally posted by mngopherguy
I think when they were in the shop painting cars, they mixed up the #24 and the #25 :D

That explains it. Bet Nemechek is finially happy to get some good equipment for once.

The fact that Jeff was the first car out in qualifying and the track was so slick played the biggest role in his provisional status. DJ went out a few cars later and said something to the effect of "slickest I've ever seen it" and that was with a little (very little) rubber down. It may have been downright trecherous for Jeff, track temp was way up there!

The ten years without a provisional is an awesome accomplishment (and several of them years have been without Ray, btw) and something that team and Jeff should be VERY proud of. Forgive me for asking but could that be 10 years without being CHARGED for a provisional cuz it seems to me I recall Jeff winning one from like 37th or 38th late in 2000 or early 2001. Do stats show just provisionals charged? Incidentally he will not be charged for using this one either.

Kel

DJ, this was the first time Jeff had to use a provisional, period. Doesn't matter if it's charged or not --- he's never used one before.

I doubt that streak will ever be broken.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
if it's charged or not ---

Maybe this is a good opportunity to explain charged/uncharged provisionals.

If you are in the top 25 in points, you may use as many provisionals as you want --- they are not charged against the team. If you fall out of the top 25 during the year, provisionals are charged against the team.

Each team outside the top 25 at the beginning of the year, gets 4 provisionals. Every 9 races, they get 4 more.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes this gets confusing.

Thanks TRL, your right that streak will live forever!

Provisionals are "Charged" only if owners points are 26th or worse, Alaska...only charged provisionals add up to prohibit a car from making the race.

Kel

Nobody ever accused me of being a Gordon fan (at least not twice they didn't), but to me that is the most impressive thing he has accomplished.

Thats ok. He'll be back in 2003. Just look at 2000 to 2001, at least this year he is higher in the pionts than 2000 (9th). In 2001 he won the Championship. Maybe that is in store for next!

Originally posted by 71Fan
Doesn't bother me at all that the jeff has struggled this year. As a team with Ray in the highest funded car out there he was practically unstoppable. Without Ray his humanity is beginning to show.

First, define struggle?

Highest funded car? You mean to tell me that Hendrick has more money than Penske? Not hardly.

I have a few questions as well.

Is Bobby LaBonte the R&D car for Stewart? Rusty for Ryan? Burton for Busch? etc. etc.

That's what I thought.......NO

Beating the boss, so to speak, has been apparent this year. I really wish they would go back to the tires they had about 3 years ago, then we would see what everyone is really made of.:p

Originally posted by Excellerator
Thats ok. He'll be back in 2003. Just look at 2000 to 2001, at least this year he is higher in the pionts than 2000 (9th). In 2001 he won the Championship. Maybe that is in store for next!

You got that right Excell!

Some just love to hate Jeff because he is just that dang good!

Back
Top Bottom