First Time Winners

Hey Hey Hey, musta done a little research there mustang...good job.

Okay here goes another.

15 times in the series since 1972 there have been multiple first time winners in a season. Is there a season in which there were multiple first time winners and those first time winners have all gone on to eventually become WC champions? What year and who were they?

Not quite, Bobby Allison's first win came way back in 1966, he won the championship the year Bill got his first win, 1983.

We've given the names in this thread, all ya gotta do is put them together. ;)

Another winner!!

NW comes through! With 17Fan right behind!

Again is seasons with multiple first time winners, there was season in which all the first time winners got their win at the same track. Right away that tells you there were two first time winners that year. Which track was it and who were the drivers?

Close, Spencer and Marlin did indeed get there first wins that season and both at Charlotte. That would have one of the answers to the next question, maybe you're psychic.

Jeff Gordon got his first win that season as well at Charlotte. So All the first time winners that season did not get their win at the same track.

The track is no longer in use.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Mar 10 2003, 02:49 PM
Close, Spencer and Marlin did indeed get there first wins that season and both at Charlotte. That would have one of the answers to the next question, maybe you're psychic.

Jeff Gordon got his first win that season as well at Charlotte. So All the first time winners that season did not get their win at the same track.

The track is no longer in use.
Everywhere I read, Spencer's first win was at Daytona.

Sorry both Spencer and Marlin did get their wins at Daytona, had my mind on Charlotte because of the Gordon win the same year.

In the year we're looking for there were two first time winners only and their wins that season came at the same track.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Correct, very good!

Now one last question before I go to dinner.

Aside from the Spencer and Marlin wins at Daytona in the same year, there was one other year during which two drivers scored their first wins at the same track.

Where and what year?

I may not be around for a couple of hours, I will be back soon as I can.

So we got:

Jimmy Spencer & Sterling Marlin at Daytona, 1994.
Ricky Rudd & Bill Elliott at Riverside, 1983.

And there's another pair?

The two drivers involved.

One won his first race here and never won again, he is still around but does compete in WC though he would like to.

The other won his first race here that same year, he has won 3 more times on the circuit, but not in over 10 years.

Both drivers can be seen on TV from time to time.

Schrader and Phil Parsons. Outstanding.

Next week, or this week I guess, the show goes to Darlington. The oldest of NASCAR's speedways, except when you figure that Indianapolis is way older, but I digress. This weekend teh "Lady in Black" the venerable "track too tough to tame" is on the schedule. Remembering that we are dealing with the modern era here, has any driver ever gotten his first win at Darlington.

If so who?

Lake certainly did, and to my recollection never won another WC race.

There is one other driver of the modern era whose first win came at Darlington.

Indeedy...

Seems there are 11 tracks which the WC circuit has visited every year starting in 1972. Not surprisingly everyone of these tracks has given up a first win to some driver or another. Which of these 11 tracks took the longest to have a first time winner visit its Victory Lane?

Oh boy...

Are these the tracks?

-Daytona, Talladega, Richmond, North Carolina, Atlanta, Bristol, Darlington, Martinsville, Lowe's, Dover, and Michigan.

My guess is going to be Atlanta.

Good try, But Pocono did not host its first WC race until 1974.

Mayfield won there in 1998 and stands so far as the only driver ever to win his first race there.

Those are the 11 tracks, and yes Atlanta is the answer.

The cirucit ran twice a year at this track every year and not until 2000 did it yield up a first win to a modern day driver. Jerry Nadeau.
It then gave up another first time win the following year.

Of these same 11 tracks, is there one or more which has given up only one first time win in the modern era?

I'm gonna guess Flyin'Ryan at Dover

Kel

Cool quizzes but I am giving up, my connection rate is so slow it takes 2 minutes just to refresh the thread. Have fun :)

:bounce:

Kel

Michigan is the only one to my knowledge which has only given up one first time winner.

Pocono has only given up one as well, but is not a member of the tracks which held races for the Winston Cup since its inception.

I f someone else would like to continue the quiz, please feel to pick it up. As for myself I'm off to the hospital to stand watch for a few hours.

Thanks all and have fun!!

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Mar 10 2003, 08:37 PM
Michigan is the only one to my knowledge which has only given up one first time winner.
Even though this isn't a question...I know it was Dale Jarrett that got his first win at Michigan in 1991 in the Wood Bros. #21...I believe subing for an injured Neil Bonnett.

Dale was driving the Wood Bros car for sure, Neil had suffered very serious injuries the prior year in a crash at Darlington if memory serves. Dale drove the remainder of the 1990 and pretty much the full 1991 season for the Wood Bros.

Just a very short time before winning the race Michigan, Jarrett had announced he would be leaving the Wood Bros after the season to drive for the newly formed Joe Gibbs Racing operation.

Back
Top Bottom