Florida's coach to retire

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Urban Meyer, citing health reasons will retire as head coach of the Florida Gators after the bowl season. This seems to be very quick, but then I don't know all the background.

apparently urban's family has a history of heart disease and he's been treated several times for heart related issues. stress literally kills some people and if urban is a high risk candidate for a heart attack it seems like a wise choice to me. he has enough money to retire and will no doubt be doing tv work whenever he wants a less stressful job. now if he takes another coaching job it's fair to say he just he wanted to get out of his current job. that's hard to believe since most coaches would love to have his job.

Reports say he will be staying on with the University of Florida in another capacity. Maybe he just couldn't bear to go on coaching without Tim Tebow.

It's been reported now that he has had second thoughts and will not retire, but will take a leave of absence of undetermined length.

Another scalp on the wall of coaches fired, resigned or sick in Nick Sabans office.

Truly, Urban was afraid of what was going to happen to his empire after he loses all his stars and Tebow. The thought of going 7-5 next year gave him chest pains.

It's easy to pan Meyer on this, but have you ever heard of Skip Prosser? Skip was the basketball coach at Wake Forest and he fell over dead from a heart attack in his early 50's. I don't care what a man does, but his health is more important for his family than any sport.

I can't believe he pulled a Brett Favre here. I have a feeling this is partly an effort to try to keep recruits from bailing on them because of Meyer not being there. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up not caoching again.

Back
Top Bottom