"flying" cars

J

jep88fan

I noticed when Keselowski went around that the flaps didn't deploy as quick as usual. I also noticed it on golden boy Carl's last year. Could it be that the wing is blocking airflow from the flap? YouTube it and watch if you don't have it tivod.

What say you?

I noticed when Keselowski went around that the flaps didn't deploy as quick as usual. I also noticed it on golden boy Carl's last year. Could it be that the wing is blocking airflow from the flap? YouTube it and watch if you don't have it tivod.

What say you?
That's why NASCAR is getting rid of it.

Who knows for sure. However, with the public being so negative about the wing and TV agreeing with it, one can only think that is the reason the cars get airborne. As an old timer in this sport, I've seen more cars with spoilers get airborne than those with the wing, but who cares anyway? It's a good angle for argument for those who would like to see that wing go away. Doesn't matter to me as I've seen the rear end of cars change drastically in all sorts of racing series. I'm not an areonaughtical engineer, but like most others, it does make sense that that wing helps to lift the cars when moving backwards. I'd be willing to waqer a weeks wages that NASCAR has checked that out. That might be the reason they are making the change, but what do I know?

I would really like to see them get rid of that cowcatcher/plow on the front of the cars.

over and out

there were a lot of remarks when Newmans car flipped end over last year while sliding backwards and not hit... that had to open their eyes... it makes you wonder how they didn't catch that in tests before using them .. of course that's assuming they are the cause... but it sure looks like the reason because the flaps worked very well before this wing thing

I sure as heck can't say with any certainty that the wing on a stock car makes them flip when going backwards. It happened before the wing era, during the wing era, & probable long after. I can say one thing with certainty, race cars of all types, wing or no wing, going forward or backward or even sideways are capable of becoming airborne @ high speeds.

Not NASCAR but flying cars none the less.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIJ4q3PD57A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALk5f5JHzM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

NASCAR concerned with flying cars, vows action

An excerpt from the 'flying car' article posted @ nascar.com.....

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Despite NASCAR president Mike Helton's concern about Brad Keselowski's airborne car Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, don't look for a solution to flying stock cars in the short term, if ever.

While preventing cars from getting airborne is a worthy goal, the violence and unpredictability of NASCAR racing probably makes it unreachable, Cup Series director John Darby said Tuesday.

And Darby reiterated that the coming return of spoilers on the back of Cup cars was largely an aesthetic change, not a functional one.

"The one thing that's very, very hard for us to deal with is there's a huge difference between a car being lifted off the ground by air and being knocked up into the air by another car," Darby said. "So the biggest roof flaps in the world or the biggest parachute in the world may not bring a car back to the race track once it's catapulted up off the race track from the forces of another car.

"We can test and we can make additions and we can do everything we can to help keep the cars on the ground -- a car that spins and turns and wants to come up, but the aero devices won't let it. What's hard to do is to displace the energy of a second car being involved and physically pushing the car up into the air."

Full article here..... http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/03/10/nascar.concerned.flying.cars/index.html

Helton sounds like a man getting ready to testify at a large law suit ... Newmans car went over as it was rolling backwards and lifted without the flaps raising ..it seems the flaps have deployed on all occasions in the past .. no doubt cars will go airborne if hit the right way flaps or no flaps but we've seen the flaps always at least come up on prior accidents

Indy cars, super mods and several other racing series cars go airborne at 190 to 200 MPH. A jumbo jet lifts at about 180 MPH. :confused:

What the heck does everyone expect?

The only solution to this problem is to run V4's or V6's and severely limit the HP and the speed. BORING.

If you look at it.The flipping probably has more to do with the rear bumper being higher than the front bumper.I think they should leave it alone or we will end up with a splitter front and back.

I don't remember a problem with these cars getting airborne-

Pettysbird.jpg

ESPN's Ed Hinton had it right: "If Keslowski's car got airborne, it isn't Carl Edwards' problem, it's NASCAR's problem".

If you look at it.The flipping probably has more to do with the rear bumper being higher than the front bumper.I think they should leave it alone or we will end up with a splitter front and back.

That would be called a Diffuser. Creates a vacuum between the car and track. Other than that, you're correct.

When Kurt did his reverse lap, the hood cowl vents came up, not not the roof flaps.

That would be called a Diffuser. Creates a vacuum between the car and track. Other than that, you're correct.

When Kurt did his reverse lap, the hood cowl vents came up, not not the roof flaps.

Great point. the way I see it the wing blocks air flow to the roof flaps and even though a spoiler can create lift when turned around I have seen many times when the roof flaps deployed and set the car back down, not always but alot compared to the wing of which I never see the flaps deploy until it's too late.

My understanding is that the roof flaps are forced open by air from inside the car.. not air from outside the car.They are a factor in forcing the car back to the ground ,not a factor in prevent it from lifting off.But I am in no way an engineer,perhaps there is someone else who knows.

I don't remember a problem with these cars getting airborne-

Pettysbird.jpg

ESPN's Ed Hinton had it right: "If Keslowski's car got airborne, it isn't Carl Edwards' problem, it's NASCAR's problem".

If Carl hadn't *intentionally* wrecked Keselowski, Kez's car wouldn't have gone airborne.

Yeah,why can't they make the splitter six inches shorter on each side to prevent it cutting down the other cars tires when they come into contact?

Back
Top Bottom