Food for thought

paul

Team Owner
Was just thinking about something...

The black flag rule states that a driver has five laps to pit if he is black flagged. Could Jr have ignored the flag and still won the race being that there were less than 5 laps to go?

He still would have been moved to the last car on the lead lap. If you remember last years Aaron's 499 Kenny Wallace passed Sterling Marlin under the yellow line with a few laps to go and finished in the top 10. After the race NASCAR moved his finishing postion from that spot to the last car on the lead lap (21st postion).

Yep that is exactly where Junior should have been placed too, on the tail end of the lead lap, however it is a moot point now. On to the next race!

Let's get over this topic...Its over...now Martinsville!

Originally posted by paul@Apr 8 2003, 02:41 PM
This is a different topic! Come on!
I know but Its still over the whole Jr. act.
:salute:

OK no one is allowed to talk about this topic anymore...I'll send out a mass email. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by paul@Apr 8 2003, 02:45 PM
OK no one is allowed to talk about this topic anymore...I'll send out a mass email. :rolleyes:
Man Paul!! You are some character!! :) You just dont lift!

I made a post asking about the rules and how it would have been applied...and I don't like being told what not to post about.

Originally posted by paul@Apr 8 2003, 02:47 PM
I made a post asking about the rules and how it would have been applied...and I don't like being told what not to post about.
Just relax Paul...It was just a post!! :D

Actualy I think its 3 laps not 5, but I could be wrong

Yes driver "X" would be moved to the tail end of the lead lap. If driver "X" did not pull in before the 3 or 5 laps was up then there scoring card would be pulled and they would stop being counted.

Here is my question if driver "X"'s car got pulled and pitted to fix the problem or take the penatly would the driver be able to go back on track and star gettign scored again, just x amount of laps down?

Well, remember when Stewart didn't come in for his black flag awhile ago at Daytona? He finished I think top 5 somewhere put was placed at the end of the lead lap.

Originally posted by 66mustang@Apr 8 2003, 04:11 PM
Well, remember when Stewart didn't come in for his black flag awhile ago at Daytona? He finished I think top 5 somewhere put was placed at the end of the lead lap.
Pepsi 400, 2001 at Daytona. He crossed the line in 6th place, but had dipped below the yellow line with a couple laps to go, so he was put last on the lead lap, which was 26th.

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@Apr 8 2003, 03:58 PM

Here is my question if driver "X"'s car got pulled and pitted to fix the problem or take the penatly would the driver be able to go back on track and star gettign scored again, just x amount of laps down?
Yes, a driver that ceases to be scored after allowing the 3 laps to pass without pitting, can return to the race after serving his penalty or repairs. And yes they are shown however many laps down that they were not being scored as well as however many laps they lost by making the trip to pit road. The only reason that you saw the drivers in the other examples here dropped to the end of the lead lap cars is because there was not enough laps of racing left for the powers that be to know where that drivers position would have fallen to had there been adequate laps for it to shake out.

Cale is the only driver that I know of that refused to answer a black flag and was no longer scored, but after 4 or 5 laps he took care of his problem ( I'm pretty sure that was for a dragging peice of metal) and ended up finishing the race 6 laps down. Michigan, but I couldn't tell ya what year.

At that time I believe it was 5 laps but now PB4510 is right, the rule is 3.

Kel

Back
Top Bottom