Ford Ecoboost?

Marcingak

Team Owner
They sponsor Roush's cars sometimes. Was wondering what you guys thought. Seems like a gimmick to me. I was looking at Ford's website and I noticed that the Ecoboost engines don't get as good fuel mileage. For Example on the Ford Explorer, the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 engine gets 20 mpg combined, and the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine gets 18 mpg combined. Isn't ecoboost supposed to increase fuel mileage?

Link: http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/specifications/view-all/

What does everyone think?

50229032.jpg

I think it is supposed to have higher numbers and better fuel mileage than their 5 liter V8 and be compared to that.

I think it is supposed to have higher numbers and better fuel mileage than their 5 liter V8 and be compared to that.
That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that the V6 Ecoboost gets worse numbers than their other V6 engines.

Like most gimmicks, add a fancy made-up name and BAM! "The new and improved super efficient formula using new patented super-stretchy foam-fiber technology!"

Leaves you like "wut?"

I've actually looked at it a lot and I think it's a pretty neat technology. I think they're still working on the V6s, but the inline-4 version of the EcoBoost engine gets pretty good gas mileage. For example, the 2013 Ford Fusion with EcoBoost - 28 mpg combined avg.

Between peak oil and Barack Obama's CAFE standards, we're all going to be driving four cylinder ****boxes sooner or later, so I appreciate Ford throwing a sweet turbocharger on there.

Mom drove a Kia for a while about 5 years ago that was advertised as "supercharged & eco friendly". There was a button on the dash that said "eco". You could turn it on or off. All it felt like was a delayed response in the throttle. Pretty sure Ford just ripped this off from Kia.

I would love to own a supercharged or turbo charged car

ok a couple comments:

first when ecoboost is on roush cars it means they are putting a last minute steeply discounted sponsor on the car. I am starting to think the sponsorship issues at roush are worse than any of us really know. basically rather than leave the car blank they pick up say 150 grand from ford for doing it rather than the 1/2 million plus they normally need for each race.

second ecoboost, I happen to own and ecoboost f150 its been a great truck. its has several advantages that are IMO cutting edge technology. with dual turbos and direct injection the engine in many ways drives like a diesel. you get low end power at low RPM. Its got more torque than the big block gas engines that used to be put in 1 ton trucks say 20 years ago AND its putting the torque out at 2000 rpm instead of 3500. thats why in many ways it drives like a diesel, which is a great thing. towing MPG is about the same as my 2011 f250 6.7 PSD, in the past gas trucks would be burning double the fuel towing. YES ecoboost is real at least in the f150. The advantages are likely less in small cars. Ford has an advantage with ecoboost, its not all about what engine is getting the best MPG.

I know they haul ass. As far as fuel mileage goes I'm not sure. But I know they have a surprising amount of power.

ok a couple comments:

first when ecoboost is on roush cars it means they are putting a last minute steeply discounted sponsor on the car. I am starting to think the sponsorship issues at roush are worse than any of us really know. basically rather than leave the car blank they pick up say 150 grand from ford for doing it rather than the 1/2 million plus they normally need for each race.

second ecoboost, I happen to own and ecoboost f150 its been a great truck. its has several advantages that are IMO cutting edge technology. with dual turbos and direct injection the engine in many ways drives like a diesel. you get low end power at low RPM. Its got more torque than the big block gas engines that used to be put in 1 ton trucks say 20 years ago AND its putting the torque out at 2000 rpm instead of 3500. thats why in many ways it drives like a diesel, which is a great thing. towing MPG is about the same as my 2011 f250 6.7 PSD, in the past gas trucks would be burning double the fuel towing. YES ecoboost is real at least in the f150. The advantages are likely less in small cars. Ford has an advantage with ecoboost, its not all about what engine is getting the best MPG.

Very insightful. :)

I haven't driven a Ford F-series newer than 06'. Had no idea

Of course that truck was badass too though.

Also, maybe a dumb question as I have done no research.. Is it still the "same" 5.4 engine in the f-150? Replacing plugs in that truck literally took 6 hours.

Last edited:
Very insightful. :)

I haven't driven a Ford F-series newer than 06'. Had no idea

Of course that truck was badass too though.

Also, maybe a dumb question as I have done no research.. Is it still the "same" 5.4 engine in the f-150? Replacing plugs in that truck literally took 6 hours.
Yeah that 5.4 is not a truck engine option anymore.

Back
Top Bottom