Ford returns F1, competes with Jaguar?

H

HardScrabble

Or will Jaguar drop out??

I admittedly don't follow F1 that closely so I have no idea what if any impact this would have. But I did find this news item and wondered if any of ya'll knew more about it.

Ford is preparing to return to Formula One in 2003 under its own name with the Jordan team, putting it in direct competition with its own Jaguar brand, according to press reports out of Europe Thursday. The unusual move comes from the fact that Ford has been dumping about 158 million dollars a year into the current Jaguar effort and needs a better showing for its investment. The team is expected to make a formal announcement before the Hungarian Grand Prix on August 18th.

Maybe Jaguar will get more competitive now. That would be really bad for that team if Jordon does better then them next year.

Jaguar F1 racing has to be the biggest disappointment I can remember for a long time. They should have left Jackie Stewart in charge.

;)

from what i've heard, Jag is done with F1 after 2004, i don't know if ford will be back to keep the FMC banner in or not

I follow F1 pretty closely and i havent heard of this, but there could be some truth behind it. Jordan is in desprate need of an engine manufacture for next year since Honda is going to back only one team and that being BAR. Jaguar has been a back runner for most of the three year project and has only a third place at Monaco last year to show for it. Jordan on the other hand does quite well with the little money and backing it has and would be ideal for a buy-out for a full Ford factory based team to compete. I guess Ford will reveal their plan in short time but it is quite possible.

Well from what i can see now after the press release is that Ford is going to give it all they got next year with the Jaguar team and if the results arent there than they will back out and either give-up or switch to another team. But so far the money that they have put into this project has been wasted and nothing to show for it.

Back
Top Bottom