Ford to build electric F150

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DanicaFreak, Feb 7, 2019.

1. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatu...t=Native-NF&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT

If you thought pickup master Ford was just going to lie down in the face of an apparent onslaught of EV trucks from Rivian and Tesla, you thought incorrectly.

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that president of global markets Jim Farley confirmed at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in Detroit that Ford will not only be releasing a hybrid F-150 in 2020, but has plans for a full-EV version, too.

2. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

At least it should be able to haul the damn batteries.

dpkimmel2001 and DanicaFreak like this.
  3. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

Electric has the advantage of instant torque. A hybrid truck if designed right could be 12 kinds of awesome

4. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

Country songs in 2025:

“Gotta full charge on mah truuuuck, gonna head to the river and drink me some beer...”

jws926, Johali and DanicaFreak like this.
  5. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Forget Hybrids. Battery only or go home.

6. gone

gone Team Owner

Electric for trucks makes a lot of sense. Electric motors make a lot of torque, and do it over a much wider rpm range than a petro fueled engine. Trucks are intended to move heavy loads, and torque is what they need to do it.

Yeah, battery range and charging times aren't where we'd like them to be... yet. And the technology is still expensive due to newness and little economy-of-scale... so far. But it has improved a lot within a relatively short time, and looks like it will continue to do so.

Tesla actually was the first American brand to talk about a future electric pickup offering, but Ford has been first to make a definite public commitment to hybrid and pure electric pickups. GM has mentioned it a few times but has been vague. Have not heard from Ram (Dodge). Then there are American start-ups like Rivian, but they appear to be underfunded concepts at this time.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, and when...

7. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Call me when it can tow my 12,000lb 5er 600 miles/12 + hours to the beach without having to stop for a recharge.

TexasRaceLady, ToyYoda and Johali like this.
  8. Magnethead

Magnethead Admin & Resident Techie Staff Member

FCA's newer rams feature something like a 60 HP electric motor on top of the engine I believe

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019 at 2:38 PM