Former NASCAR driver John Andretti battling cancer

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
:(

It's one of the most emotional stories Dave Calabro has covered. In fact, it brought him to tears.

Longtime friend, beloved race car driver and dedicated "giver" to the community, John Andretti, reveals to Dave that he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer.

Dave traveled to North Carolina where John and his wife live. The three spent time at home and in the hospital, where you'll see John's playful sense of humor as he sits in a hospital chair with chemo pumping into him to kill those cancer cells. "Chemo sucks a lot," Andretti says honestly with a laugh, "I don't think anybody walks out saying 'Man this is great. Give me more!'"

http://www.wthr.com/article/dave-calabro-follows-john-andrettis-battle-with-cancer

Stage four colon cancer has a very small survival rate.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html

He also got Cale Yarborough his only win as a team owner ('97 Pepsi 400 at Daytona).

Mark Martin was involved in a last lap crash while running sixth, relegating him to a 27th place finish. Mark Martin ended up finishing third in points that year, 29 points behind that damn 24 car. But I ain't mad or anything. :mad:

I started becoming a fan of John's when he somehow managed to keep the Front Row Motorsports car in the top 35 all season long in 2009. Ever since then FRM has taken off as a team and is respected in the garage.

I started becoming a fan of John's when he somehow managed to keep the Front Row Motorsports car in the top 35 all season long in 2009. Ever since then FRM has taken off as a team and is respected in the garage.
That's the last time I went to Martinsville. My deceased friend went with me and was impressed that I followed John the entire race running 15/25th the entire race. Friggin' Sadler spun him out with very few laps to go, which kinda ruined a valiant effort from John. These things I'll remember always. BTW, Taco Bell car.

Dear God. This is just such awful news. I always regarded John Andretti as a personal favorite. Just so classy and likable IMO. He built nowhere near the racing resume of his legendary uncle Mario, but he always has had a very similar class and likability. I am devastated for John and his family.

Praying for a recovery. It does happen.
pray.gif

I recently found my 43 John Andretti ball cap in the attic recently. I wear it proudly every day.

John Andretti drove some sharp looking cars when he was in the 43.

He was one of my favorites, and criminally underrated. Not only did he race in NASCAR and in IndyCar, he also ran a Top Fuel Dragster in NHRA.

John Andretti drove some sharp looking cars when he was in the 43.

He was one of my favorites, and criminally underrated. Not only did he race in NASCAR and in IndyCar, he also ran a Top Fuel Dragster in NHRA.
Yessirreee! John was always my underdog driver. I was a die-hard Rusty fan, but I wanted John to win more than Rusty. Rusty had won enough, and my Earnhardt buddy called me the day John was dominating the Pepsi 400 and said, "You better get over here, John is dominating".

A friend of mine works at the IMS museum. This from him a bit earlier ...

"Pleased to report some good news. Carolyn Andretti, John's sister, was at an after hours event this evening at the museum. She told me the prognosis was good in that the cancer was treatable with both surgery and follow up chemo. She also said he was in no pain and just hoping his treatment goes as planned."

A friend of mine works at the IMS museum. This from him a bit earlier ...

"Pleased to report some good news. Carolyn Andretti, John's sister, was at an after hours event this evening at the museum. She told me the prognosis was good in that the cancer was treatable with both surgery and follow up chemo. She also said he was in no pain and just hoping his treatment goes as planned."
That's good to hear. You know, I'm human too. As much **** as I talk, it hurt me pretty bad to hear John had cancer. I've had family fade away really quickly from cancer. It's not a pretty sight.

I first knew of John Andretti as a top fuel NHRA pilot in the Taco Bell dragster.
I bet I have a picture of him in that car in '92 or '93 if I dug around . Saw him
at the Atlanta round.

Back
Top Bottom