Formula E

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
I read Formula E will have its first race Sept 13 in Beijing. There are 10 teams, 20 drivers, and 40 cars. Andretti Motorsports is one of the teams. The cars are spec and they run 30 minutes so to complete the 45 minute races the pit stop involves changing cars. The only driver name I recognized was Katherine Legge (she drove some Indycar races).

Electric drive has huge torque and the power is instant. The cars have about 270 hp. The first 10 races will be on street courses because they present the best way to show what torque can do. Racing with torque vs. horsepower could be different.

Wikipedia has good basic info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Formula_E_Championship

The official site:
http://www.fiaformulae.com/

Worldwide popular drivers in this series:

Jarno Trulli- Has over 300 Formula 1 starts
Nick Heidfeld- longtime Formula 1 driver, most recently with Lotus
Jaime Alguersuari- Former Formula 1 driver
Sebastian Buemi- Former Formula 1 driver
Lucas di Grassi- recent Formula 1 driver
Mike Conway- IndyCar road course ringer
Bruno Senna- nephew of Aryton Senna, former Formula 1 driver
Nicholas Prost- newphew (I think) of Alain Prost
Frank Montagny- very stout world endurance driver
Karun Chandhok- Former Formula 1 driver
Possibly:
Scott Speed- Formula 1, NASCAR and Endurance racing

This is a VERY impressive lineup for a single seater formula-style series. You could compare it to IndyCar's lineup.

The cool thing about this series is the tracks are catered to the low horsepower but high torque. These things are impressive in close corners. I'm excited.

Worldwide popular drivers in this series:

Jarno Trulli- Has over 300 Formula 1 starts
Nick Heidfeld- longtime Formula 1 driver, most recently with Lotus
Jaime Alguersuari- Former Formula 1 driver
Sebastian Buemi- Former Formula 1 driver
Lucas di Grassi- recent Formula 1 driver
Mike Conway- IndyCar road course ringer
Bruno Senna- nephew of Aryton Senna, former Formula 1 driver
Nicholas Prost- newphew (I think) of Alain Prost
Frank Montagny- very stout world endurance driver
Karun Chandhok- Former Formula 1 driver
Possibly:
Scott Speed- Formula 1, NASCAR and Endurance racing

This is a VERY impressive lineup for a single seater formula-style series. You could compare it to IndyCar's lineup.

The cool thing about this series is the tracks are catered to the low horsepower but high torque. These things are impressive in close corners. I'm excited.
That is a stacked grid. No Trulli Train, hopefully.

Andretti's Formula E twitter feed reported a win and third place in the test race. It'd be nice to see an American team show their prowess in a worldwide championship.

Here are some times posted.

BvbGcNsCUAAtrOu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you. I'm extremely intrigued. Especially since the torque level was described as similar to the 2000 CART cars (without all that crazy horsepower of course).

They should be hard to handle in close quarters. And the field is pretty damn good.

Best thing about this series is having something to watch during the winter off season. Looks like 1 race a month for the next 10 months. Has anyone on here seen or heard how they sound? Guess we'll find out soon enough the 1st race is next Sunday the 13th, I already have my dvr set.

Freaky quiet, I expected to hear more tire squealing.
You can hear the tires squealing on the new F1 cars and they have regular engines.

I don't think the tires are getting that much traction. They look like shifter go-kart tires to be honest. Since Formula E is trying to cap car costs at 350k Euros, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using off-the-shelf racing tires from some other formula. I suspect that's why they aren't squealing. But you certainly can hear them going over the kurbs though.

The Grid: Driver and Team breakdown for FIA Formula E kickoff
Tony DiZinno

Sep 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Leave a comment
010714_fe.jpg
AP
My MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada provided an overlay of the FIA Formula E Championship yesterday. In case you missed that,or my interview with series CEO Alejandro Agag earlier this year, here’s the links.

Meanwhile, here’s a more in-depth overlay of the 10 teams and their drivers:

AMLIN AGURI: Katherine Legge, Antonio Felix da Costa

The Aguri squad sees ex-F1 team boss Aguri Suzuki and fellow members of the now defunct, but plucky underdog Super Aguri Formula One team re-emerge. Mark Preston is the team principal and technical director Peter McCool is a top shoe.

On the driver front, Legge has reinvented herself as one of racing’s more versatile drivers beyond her open-wheel career. She has taken up residence as one of the DeltaWing drivers, and also made a cameo in a Honda Civic Si at Road America. She should be able to come to grips with the new car rather well.

Da Costa, meanwhile, was famously passed over for a Scuderia Toro Rosso race seat this past fall while Daniil Kvyat got the nod. Since, the Portuguese driver has made it to DTM, but had a difficult season. He’ll miss the season opener due to his DTM commitments, and a familiar face to open-wheel racing aficionados is set to fill in.

ANDRETTI FORMULA E: Franck Montagny, TBA

One of two U.S. squads, Michael Andretti’s ever-expanding racing portfolio will now see an entry into FE. Knowing his propensity for success, it would be hard to imagine the team not being a contender.

Montagny is a solid, veteran shoe but limited in terms of recent open-wheel running. He made an IndyCar cameo at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, and while he enjoyed himself, he mainly felt it important to reacclimatize after a five-year hiatus.

The second driver (or drivers) remain a mystery, as Andretti FE takes a page out of Dale Coyne’s playbook.Scott Speed (Red Bull Global Rallycross) and Matthew Brabham (Indy Lights) race for Andretti in 2014 and have already tested; likely these two and a combination of Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti are possible to fill the void. Alternatively, Andretti could opt for a single European shoe for consistency’s sake. Stay tuned.

AUDI SPORT ABT: Lucas di Grassi, Daniel Abt

The Germans will likely be a force to be reckoned with. The Abt team has enjoyed a wealth of success in DTM and now head to the open-wheel ranks.

Di Grassi has relevant hybrid experience with his Audi sports car career in the team’s R18 e-tron quattro hybrid, and is another who’s reinvented himself since his F1 race career ended.

Young Abt has starred in GP2 and GP3, and this will be his first opportunity to make a major name for himself on a wider scale beyond the junior ranks. He made his name known to IndyCar teams in Fontana; expect they’ll be watching him closely this winter.

CHINA RACING: Nelson Piquet Jr., Ho-Pin Tung, Antonio Garcia (reserve)

Although the team has had experience in A1GP, Superleague Formula and FIA GT1, it’s still a bit of a mystery on the world stage. But it has a capable team principal in Adrian Campos.

Driving-wise, Piquet Jr. makes his open-wheel return after his recent experience has been in Red Bull Global Rallycross and NASCAR.

Tung is a solid second driver and could surprise. He’s done well in his international sports car outings this year, racing with OAK Racing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and Asian Le Mans Series. Garcia, when he gets the chance to race, should also make some noise.

DRAGON RACING: Jerome d’Ambrosio, Oriol Servia

The second U.S. team, Dragon Racing had a propensity to underachieve during its IndyCar career, although there were times Sebastien Bourdais punched above his weight over a two-year period. Jay Penske’s team does have a solid driver lineup, though.

D’Ambrosio never properly got to show what he could do in his F1 stint and while he hasn’t raced regularly the last two years, he could well surprise.

Servia, who will fill in for Mike Conway at least at Beijing if not for more, remains a dependable hand who rarely makes mistakes and almost always bags a result – usually without the TV cameras noticing.

e.DAMS-RENAULT: Nicolas Prost, Sebastien Buemi

If I had to pick an early season favorite, e.dams would be the team I’d monitor. Jean-Paul Driot has a stellar record in European junior formulae over 25-plus years; Alain Prost provides the necessary support alongside.

Both Prost and Buemi have made strides in sports car racing the last several years, Prost with Rebellion Racing and Buemi with the Toyota Hybrid program. They’re quick enough, young enough and determined enough to want to deliver. My only concern – and this affects both of them – is a mindset one since they’re both accustomed to sports car endurance races, and yet have to amp up for single-driver sprints now.

MAHINDRA RACING: Karun Chandhok, Bruno Senna

Mahindra is partying like it’s 2010 and it’s actually called HRT, because Karun Chandhok and Bruno Sennaare teammates again. OK not really, but still, that’s going to be my go-to joke for this team this year until they deliver the results on paper.

Thing is, for both drivers, they’ve never had the top-flight opportunity either has deserved. Chandhok’s F1 stint was only that partial season with HRT and a one-off with Lotus (now Caterham) in 2011, and he’s had to make miracles happen with lesser rated co-drivers in LMP2 sports cars over the years.

Senna, meanwhile, has grown instrumentally the last few years after his post-HRT run. He was respectable at Renault (now Lotus) in 2011 and was more consistent with Williams in 2012. Since driving for Aston Martin in GTE in the FIA WEC, that’s where his career has really taken off. It remains to be seen whether he can reacclimatize back to an open-wheel car after his recent GT time; Chandhok may have the early edge. A fascinating inter-team battle to watch.

TRULLI: Jarno Trulli, Michela Cerruti

Give Jarno Trulli this – the Italian is certainly not lacking for ambition. But having completed a late takeover of the Drayson squad, although still using some Drayson electrical technologies, Trulli will likely find out quick that being a driver and being a co-team founder at the same time is a mammoth challenge.

And the concern is that this affects him behind the wheel, too. We’ll see how Trulli’s management structure works – but like for Ed Carpenter in IndyCar, it may take time for Trulli the driver to fully hit his form while Trulli the owner gets the team up and running.

Teammate Michela Cerruti is very much an unknown quantity. She’s raced AutoGP and the Blancpain Endurance Series, and does have podiums in both. Young and full of potential, but it remains to be seen how she’ll exploit it.

VENTURI: Nick Heidfeld, Stephane Sarrazin

The team has the star power of Leonardo DiCaprio as one of its four co-founders, and Venturi Automobiles have been a solid electrical vehicle leader in the marketplace.

Heidfeld and Sarrazin, like others, have specialized in sports cars after their F1 careers came to an end. They’re both solid, veteran shoes who don’t make many mistakes and have occasional speed to burn. Sarrazin should be quicker on paper, but Heidfeld could surprise. I’d be surprised if this team isn’t a winner in its first season.

VIRGIN RACING: Jaime Alguersuari, Sam Bird

Alex Tai is the team principal but Sir Richard Branson is the face of Virgin Racing, which re-appears on the motorsports scene after prior stints as Brawn GP sponsor and as the team precursor to what’s now known as Marussia.

Alguersuari has something to prove after being chewed up and spit out of F1 by Red Bull, via Toro Rosso. He’s still young enough – he’s only 24 – and will be motivated to succeed in this season.

Bird is one of racing’s rising stars. He was woefully unlucky to have never had a proper F1 shot after his GP2 career, and since has been ridiculously fast driving an AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia in GTE in the FIA WEC. We’ll see whether his natural speed can translate into FE this season.

If they had a problem with the sound of the F1 V6 they'd have a fit about the sound of these cars. But they race like regular cars (including bad driving). I can't figure out how to describe the sound - screaming tweeting?

Track was too narrow for my tastes, causing follow the leader, like lead and follow laps at a drivers ed class at some road courses. The noise was like an electric go-kart in an indoor track.

Cars were slow. The high-pitched whining sound is annoying. Giant RC cars. Disappointing.

A few thoughts after watching the first FE race:
1. Wasn't a very good track layout. Not much in the way of passing opportunities. With a better track these identical cars would allow the drivers to put on a better show.
2. I think they've assembled a really good group of drivers for this series.
3. Ironically, Prost swerving into Heidfeld at the end looked more like a Senna move than something that the Professor would approve of.

If they had a problem with the sound of the F1 V6 they'd have a fit about the sound of these cars. But they race like regular cars (including bad driving). I can't figure out how to describe the sound - screaming tweeting?
Sounded like electric golf carts to me. But maybe I spent too much times on a golf course in the summer? Hmmm, I wish a cute girl selling beers on a push cart would come through my place right now.

Can't say much he looked in his mirror seen he was passing and swerved into him. Very lucky he didn't kill Heidfeld
I felt the same way. I expected condemnation of Prost but have heard nothing. He actually bad mouthed Heidfeld afterwards.

What did he say about him? I went to bed right after the conclusion of the race and missed the post race interviews.
I was goona say I heard him say Heidfeld tried a suicide pass but I found this quote on the net....

With Heidfeld stating to TV media afterwards that he felt Prost was fully to blame, Nicolas himself laid the blame at Heidfeld’s feet saying that he felt the German driver had made a ‘suicide jump’. After the race, it was announced that Prost would incur a ten place grid penalty for the next round in two month’s time. He has now apologised for the crash.

http://formulaspy.com/news/formula-e-news/prost-apologises-final-corner-crash-5822

The apple doesn't fall far..

There's a lot of bugs to iron out but I really enjoyed it. I watched it late last night and was pleasantly surprised at pretty much everything about it. If the power ever gets bumped up when new manufacturers step in, this could be pretty cool. Lose the damn DJ though. Techno and racing?

Ugh.

Sure some of you saw this already, but (my future wife) Katherine Legge had a good op-ed on Racer about what it was like to drive and race the Formula E cars.

http://racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/108433-legge-racing-formula-e

I have to say, I was kind of negative on the series and thought it was a money/time sink so the FIA could be more green for green's sake but it really has kind of captured my attention after that first in-car video and the first race. It's not perfect and the cars are hella slow but I don't know, think there might be something here.

Back
Top Bottom