Four door Mustang

So you are killing off all cars except the Mustang and are going to build a bigger mustang

Turbo V8 to compete with the Euro cars. Testing comparisons between the three should be good. The Porsche is ugly, never was a fan. Audi's resale is a joke, dollars fly out of the tailpipe while it falls apart.

Basically a Falcon, but it won't fly here, dumb idea.
I am going with you are talking about the Australian Falcon, what year did this happen ?

Yes Australia's Falcon made by Ford, no way Ford competes with Audi, Benz, and BMW.
Ford has come a long way, but to go head to head with the big three from Germany, yeah, I am not sure that is going to work out good for Ford.

First , this whole thing has to be real , but not sure I am buying it .

Ford has come a long way, but to go head to head with the big three from Germany, yeah, I am not sure that is going to work out good for Ford.

First , this whole thing has to be real , but not sure I am buying it .
Oh i agree, why water down a muscle car, sounds like a gimmick to me.

The Mustang SUV will be even better. :rolleyes:

25-future-cars-worth-waiting-for.jpg

Turbo V8 to compete with the Euro cars. Testing comparisons between the three should be good. The Porsche is ugly, never was a fan. Audi's resale is a joke, dollars fly out of the tailpipe while it falls apart.

Yep. The “grand coupe” market has done well in the US. I think the Merc CLS was the first, followed by the Panamera, the 6 series GC, and the A7. Four door cars with coupe rooflines, beefy looks compared to the sedans, and usually pretty sporty.

Surprised the US models are just getting there.

As a GM/Chevy supporter I can’t help but be amused at the Mustang being turned into a Four Door, especially to compete with Audi and BMW. I would think That is a whole different deal market wise, people that can afford to buy those cars buy them for appearance and luxury. Will the Mustang offer that? Will the Mustang be offered in 2 door RWD package? I sincerely hope GM doesn’t get the idea to do this to the Camaro.....however I’m still waiting for Buick to remake the Grand National as a four door with 225HP super charged engine. Been waiting since I was a senior in college in 2008.

I drive an A6, can confirm everything you said. Except the falling apart bit. *Knocks on wood* I want to get out of it so badly, but the value fell off a cliff around 40k miles. As for the Mustang 4dr... man, even if it's an amazing car at a great price, using the name alone is just sacrilege.

The 4 dr Mustang concept has been on the drawing boards for a number of years. The market is changing and Ford doesn't want to put another Edsel on dealer's lots. There is also a mustang inspired crossover on the drawing boards. I give that a snowball's chance too. KWIM?

Where's our nascar apologist? This 4 door mustang is perfect for the cup series! They won't have to change the Fusion body at all, and then Chevy can release the 4 door mustang and everything is great! :sarcasm:

We need a four-door Camaro and then a four-door Supra and all will be right with the stock car world. Lmao.

For real though, this poor man's Panamera is ugly as balls.

The Mustang SUV will be even better. :rolleyes:

25-future-cars-worth-waiting-for.jpg
If Ford makes this, the Mustang II will no longer be the most reviled Mustang.

I’m not sure how well this would sell anyway. Slope-back SUV’s typically haven’t sold well in the US, as the roof design cuts severely into the rear cargo space. Plus, most of them have been ugly as sin (see Pontiac Aztek, BMW X6, Acura ZDX).

If Ford makes this, the Mustang II will no longer be the most reviled Mustang.

I’m not sure how well this would sell anyway. Slope-back SUV’s typically haven’t sold well in the US, as the roof design cuts severely into the rear cargo space. Plus, most of them have been ugly as sin (see Pontiac Aztek, BMW X6, Acura ZDX).

The Accord Crosstour was atrocious, IMO. IDK what the inspiration was.

I’ll believe it when I see it. This has been in concept for decades.

Ford has made some outlandish claims lately. Smells of a PR stunt to garner media attention to the brand.

Will the Mustang be offered in 2 door RWD package?
I'm not a car guy at all, but that's the question that I have.
The Auto industry in the past made numerous models that were 2 or 4 door, whats the issue here? :idunno:
I think it's strictly about the use of the Mustang name. Four doors automatically means it's a grocery-getter for soccer moms, so it can't have a sports car name plate; sacrilege, don't you know? If Ford had chosen to use any other name, this would be a non-issue.

At least, that's how this non-car guy understands the outrage.

I think it's strictly about the use of the Mustang name. Four doors automatically means it's a grocery-getter for soccer moms, so it can't have a sports car name plate; sacrilege, don't you know? If Ford had chosen to use any other name, this would be a non-issue.

At least, that's how this non-car guy understands the outrage.

I guess if you leave out the compete with Porsche and Audi part that some have chosen to ignore that makes sense, and an easily modded turbo V8 got to forget that also. It won't be cheap if they build it.

I guess if you leave out the compete with Porsche and Audi part that some have chosen to ignore that makes sense, and an easily modded turbo V8 got to forget that also. It won't be cheap if they build it.
As I noted, I'm not a car guy. I don't understand how competing with Porsche and Audi is different from competing with the other brands Ford already faces. As a non-car guy, if I drop the money I suspect this ride will cost, I'd expect it to arrive with an engine already configured for max performance.

Obviously, this car isn't aimed at me. o_O I won't be purchasing a Mustang (or any of its competitors I'm aware of), regardless of how many doors it features.

The same argument happened when Dodge reintroduced the Charger as a 4-door. The only 2-door models these days are small cars.

I caught a documentary on Netflix about the Mustang. I found it interesting; it was about the development of the 2015 and the covered the development of the first Mustang; the mantra was NOT to screw it up. Ford was considering making it a front wheel drive car like everything else on the road. But fans contacted Ford and persuaded them to change their plans.

Car Companies play with nameplates a lot. The top of the line nameplates of the 1950's became the base models in the 1960s.

The styling of the 4-door Mustang looks OK to me, there is probably a market of it.

Reactions: sdj
I’m not sure why Porsche or Audi were introduced as those customers would rarely be seen on the showroom of FIAT, GM or Ford dealership.

As a GM/Chevy supporter I can’t help but be amused at the Mustang being turned into a Four Door, especially to compete with Audi and BMW. I would think That is a whole different deal market wise, people that can afford to buy those cars buy them for appearance and luxury. Will the Mustang offer that? Will the Mustang be offered in 2 door RWD package? I sincerely hope GM doesn’t get the idea to do this to the Camaro.....however I’m still waiting for Buick to remake the Grand National as a four door with 225HP super charged engine. Been waiting since I was a senior in college in 2008.

If they are indeed following the European approach, the model is technically a coupe and will remain offered in the 2-door RWD version. But the 4-door grand coupe model is available.

This is what BMW does with the 6 series (replaced by the 8 series next year) and what Audi does with the A5. I think Merc does it with the CL.

I'm guessing all Ford cars will be Mustang based. At least the front clip has some character lines compared to the smooth noses on most cars.

Ford will only be making trucks, SUVs and the Mustang. They won't be making any other sedans so that's why they are offering a 4 door Mustang.

Exactly. If the Panamera or A7 customer is the target, the turbo V-8 model will likely be in the $60k bracket, which will kill it. Heck, a loaded Mustang GT is in the high 40s to low 50s.

Exactly. If the Panamera or A7 customer is the target, the turbo V-8 model will likely be in the $60k bracket, which will kill it. Heck, a loaded Mustang GT is in the high 40s to low 50s.

I think if the performance is there, it will be like a Vette, something that performs just as well but a better value in the same class. They say it would be on an already as built and produced Explorer chassis so how hard could it be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom