Foyt To Field 2 cars At Indy

A

Awesome_Bill

As If 1 car wasnt bad enough, ol AJ has now entered a second car to be driven by P.J Jones. Now instead of just having 1 car pack it up early, He'll have 2.

2nd Foyt car enters the Brickyard 400: A.J. Foyt has hired P.J. Jones, son of 1963 Indianapolis 500 winner Parnelli Jones, to drive the #50 Conseco Pontiac in the Brickyard 400. Foyt contacted Jones, who was in town to drive in tonight's USAC Silver Crown feature at Indianapolis Raceway Park, and reached an agreement earlier today. Foyt will file the second entry tomorrow at the track. Mike Wallace is slated to drive the No. #Conseco Pontiac in his second race for Foyt. "Originally, I had planned to run two cars at Indy, which was why Mike Wallace tested here a couple weeks ago in the #50 Conseco car," Foyt said. "After Stacy Compton was released, I decided to run just one car but that became an issue for NASCAR. They told me yesterday that they were going to penalize my team quite heavily because they thought I was trying to get around the limited testing issue. Well, that was the last thing on my mind, but I told Mike Hillman [crew chief] to enter the second car. I called P.J. about driving it and he said he'd love to. "I considered hiring his dad Parnelli but I couldn't get him off the golf course," Foyt joked about his longtime rival and good friend who retired from driving race cars in the 70's. "I am excited about this opportunity to run at the Brickyard, even if it came at the last minute," Jones, from Torrance, Calif., said. "We'd like to be more prepared but we'll just do the best we can. It'll be fun to drive for A.J. at Indy." Jones, 33, did run a stock car here at the first open test in 1994, but did not compete in the inaugural Brickyard 400 in 1994 (although Foyt did for what turned out to be his last Winston Cup race). Jones started racing midgets and sprint cars in California in the late 1980s. Dan Gurney hired Jones to race in the IMSA GTP series in 1992, and Jones won five races in two seasons, including an overall victory in the Rolex 24 in 1993 at Daytona. He also ran six races for the Melling Racing team that year, with a best finish of 9th at Watkins Glen. Jones concentrated on NASCAR racing in 1994, winning twice in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. He returned to Gurney's All-American Racers team in 1996 to drive in CART, staying there until 1999. Jones joined Patrick Racing in 1999, earning a career-best second-place finish at Nazareth Speedway. Since 1999, he has raced in the NASCAR Busch Series and in selected USAC Silver Crown Series events. He finished fourth in the Silver Crown feature at the Copper World Indy 200 in March at Phoenix International Raceway. Jones will race at IRP tonight and strap into the #50 Conseco Pontiac tomorrow afternoon when the Winston Cup teams practice for Saturday's qualifying session.(A.J. Foyt Racing PR)(8-1-2002)

So the old guy is giving a kid a break. Maybe the break of a lifetime. You find fault with that?

So now we know who two of the 40 or worse finishers will be...

Gotta qualify both of 'em first. May not be an easy task. The 14 car is probably safe on owner points.

The 50 won't qualify. He's just entering it b/c NASCAR said they would penalize him if he didn't.

didn't PJ race to old 55 jasper car when that team ran 2 cars??? at least for a few races.

Considering the primary car doesn't look like it's going to make the race, I shall wish PJ Jones good luck.

Originally posted by 71Fan
So the old guy is giving a kid a break. Maybe the break of a lifetime. You find fault with that?

This is no Break of a lifetime. you know as well as I that the car he'll be in will be junk as will the 14. He most likely wont make the field.

Is Derrik Cope trying to qualify again? Just don't want to hear John Roberts in the booth ( on Nascar This Morning) lament about the provisional rule again. Sorry but regulars and past Champs DO deserve a spot in the race guys....

Well get Ready HH. Hes out First On saturday. Get those Ears Ready for Roberts.

So it will be junk compared to the monster teams. What's the big deal? These are some of the fastest cars on the planet and calling any of them junk is just something I don't normally do.

Foyt Racing's nascar effort is young. And it's not like a lot of the mega-teams are going to share info with the strugglers. That his team is even making races (especially with the stinky prov rules) at all is a tribute to the man and his machines.

As for the prov stuff.....my first thought is go fast or go home, and my 2nd thought is that not charging the top 25 teams for provs used is a joke. If there is going to be prov rule at all, imo it should be an accross the board rule. NASCAR fans wonder why fields are sometimes short and the answer is because the big money has chased the backyarder away.

The term "junk" probably should not be to any car capable of passing the WC inspection process and running a lap within shooting distance of the top teams. But on occassions we are most guilty of exaggeration when making a point.

I would question Foyt's dedication to getting the second car in the field since he wanted to withdraw the entry until NASCAR sorta bullied him into maintaining the entry. But the testing rules are pretty clear and if he did not enter the car he would have to be charged somehow I suppose.

Provisionals are used in many racing series, including the bullrings around the country. The rules for provisionals at those places aren't even written, usually called track or promoter options. They are okay as far as they go.

IMO, 7 spots are too many and even if you're the #1 team in the history of NASCAR if you use a prov you should absolutely be charged with its use. If you go back just 7 or 8 years you'll find that only 2 prov spots were routinely allocated for WC races, why the nymber grew so large today frankly eludes me.

I'm not totally against the prov rules. Fans come to see certain teams. The larger the fan base the more money generated. Win/win situation.

One of the things I heard years back was that many of the teams balked at coming west....to a roadcourse of all places....where the local boys regularily ate the big kids lunch for them. We always delighted druing the early days at Riverside. Even with the prov rule it seemed like more than just few teams found themselves packing up early. Gurney's record speaks for itself during that time.

And the Sportsman Races were as good as they get. Anything that even slightly resembled a stock car was on the track. Lots of the guys knew better than to even think about winning but dern if that was gonna stop them from running. Same with Cup. Just making the Cup race at Riverside for most all the local boys was reward enuf. Make enuf money for tires and gas and plan on rebuilding the car to have another go at it next year. I imagine the early days at Pheonix were the same way.

Ya woulda loved it HS. It was racin....and it was fun.:D

Back
Top Bottom