Front Brakes

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
I don’t even know what a front brake job costs these days. I just replaced the original pads on my car today. I got 123,000 miles out of them.
I bought a premium set of pads for $66 and paid a local repair shop $20 to turn the rotors. I remember when it was $5/ea. to resurface rotors. I could’ve went to my buddies house and used his brake lathe for free. Out of convenience, I chose to just let the guy around the corner spin the rotors.
Still, front brake job for less than $90.

I don’t even know what a front brake job costs these days. I just replaced the original pads on my car today. I got 123,000 miles out of them.
I bought a premium set of pads for $66 and paid a local repair shop $20 to turn the rotors. I remember when it was $5/ea. to resurface rotors. I could’ve went to my buddies house and used his brake lathe for free. Out of convenience, I chose to just let the guy around the corner spin the rotors.
Below is what I posted in the Vacation thread last June. This was in Utah.

The front brake pads on the truck squeaked once as I expected from all of the mountainous traveling we've done. I took it to a local shop attached to a NAPA parts store to get the pads brushed and deglazed or changed and the rotors brushed or turned just to be on the safe side. 45 minutes later I was presented with a bill of $348.41. New $50 heavy duty pads were listed on the bill at $109.54, $194.75 labor the tax, supplies and even a credit card fee were added. I just smiled, paid it and went on my way. We're on vacation and wont let rip off artists spoil it for us.

Below is what I posted in the Vacation thread last June. This was in Utah.

The front brake pads on the truck squeaked once as I expected from all of the mountainous traveling we've done. I took it to a local shop attached to a NAPA parts store to get the pads brushed and deglazed or changed and the rotors brushed or turned just to be on the safe side. 45 minutes later I was presented with a bill of $348.41. New $50 heavy duty pads were listed on the bill at $109.54, $194.75 labor the tax, supplies and even a credit card fee were added. I just smiled, paid it and went on my way. We're on vacation and wont let rip off artists spoil it for us.
Damn.

Not gonna tell you how much my place of business would charge... :oops:

CC fee is a bit much though.

The specialty shop I used to work at was $120/hour

The local truck accessory shop I helped at betwene jobs is $40/hour

Most mechanic shops are between 80 and 120.

We are at $159. The labor rates have skyrocketed in the area the past few years. You'll always find the ones that are still in the same low rent, two bay spot for $120 or less, but yeah....

I haven't had a rotor resurfaced in a decade or more, new replacements are cheap as hell. I was buying semi-truck drums new for 45 dollars apiece, I changed them every brake job and never had one resurfaced, they are always full of tiny cracks.

I haven't had a rotor resurfaced in a decade or more, new replacements are cheap as hell. I was buying semi-truck drums new for 45 dollars apiece, I changed them every brake job and never had one resurfaced, they are always full of tiny cracks.
For rotors, I don’t buy Chinese crap, they don’t last. When I worked for Chrysler they had junk Chinese rotors that were so soft the pads outlasted the rotors. Pads would actually wear the rotors down to the fins.

Back
Top Bottom