Fuel

F

foehammer111

Not sure if any of you guys play video games, but if you do I can highly recommend Fuel. I picked this up last week for the Xbox 360, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Fuel is made by Codemasters, who are best known for their Colin McRae and Race Driver games. It's set in a post-apocalypic North America where global warming has left large areas of the western USA un-inhabited. Thrill junkies have organized a racing series in the wasteland, where drivers complete for precious fuel. That's it for the story.

Fuel's selling point is the massive gameplay area. Most devs go on about the massive size of their game, but Fuel actually backs it up by being certified in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest playable area in a video game. To be exact, Fuel has over 5,500 miles of terrain.

Codemasters didn't make this a gimmick either. Lots of the races are designed to take advantage of this by being 30 miles or more in length. As you complete career races, you unlock more of the 70 vehicles in the game, and open up new areas of the map. It's also possible to drive across the entire map without skipping. Some of the achievements even revolve around this.

The landscape changes gradually as you travel, with each area revolving around a theme. You'll race in everything from snow capped mountains, to forest fires, to ruined cities, to tornado ravaged plains. The races are varied, and include closed curcuit races, point-to-point, chopper chasing, and destorying other vehicles. Races can be both on-road, off-road, or a mix. You can also create your own races, and share them online with friends.

My only gripe about Fuel is that there are some minor graphical issues. The framerate is very smooth at all times, but there is some occasional pop-in. Some textures (especially the shadows) are very pixelated, and you have limited car/driver customization. The career events don't differ enough from the challenge events which are, well, more challenging. And because of the huge open-world nature of the game, it can be very easy to get lost. Thus making you rely heavily upon your map screen.

Overall, Fuel is an excellent game with some minor presentation issues. The game can basicly be summed up as "Mad Max: the game" minus the weapons. It is focused on exploration and a huge world as it's selling point, and it works. This style of racing game wont appeal to everyone, but for those looking for something different should checkout Fuel.

A-

Back
Top Bottom