Funny Car body in the stands

That was scary. It dropped hole and that caused it to break a rod.:(

And they can't really tether the whole body????So what bigger or more burst panels???
That is one of the areas that is going to be looked at. There just isn't anyway to control where the body is going to go when it leaves the car. Now, that Don Schumacher racing has finished working on their canopy technology for their top fuel cars, they are going to start working on this funny car body problem. I think we will see some changes coming real soon.

I liked the suggestions they talked about sunday.

You can't tether the body. It'll just break out the piece that was tethered.

The burst panels aren't bursting. That's half the battle.

Why has FC never ran the vent hoses like TAFC do?

The side burst panels are a good idea too. Might be hard to implement, but that's what R&D is for.

I liked the suggestions they talked about sunday.

You can't tether the body. It'll just break out the piece that was tethered.

The burst panels aren't bursting. That's half the battle.

Why has FC never ran the vent hoses like TAFC do?

The side burst panels are a good idea too. Might be hard to implement, but that's what R&D is for.
What makes you think the burst panel is not blowing? We use nylon bolts that are designed to break any time there is the smallest amount of pressure built up under the body. But the problem is that with 10,000 hp it is just building more pressure then that size of the burst panel can handle. We are probably going to have to put a larger one or more then one on the front hood area and maybe some on the side of the car. But we have to get that pressure out from under the body before it builds up to much.

What makes you think the burst panel is not blowing? We use nylon bolts that are designed to break any time there is the smallest amount of pressure built up under the body. But the problem is that with 10,000 hp it is just building more pressure then that size of the burst panel can handle. We are probably going to have to put a larger one or more then one on the front hood area and maybe some on the side of the car. But we have to get that pressure out from under the body before it builds up to much.

Used to, the burst panels would pop off without much effort. Seems now either they don't know, or they're blowing instantaneously with the body coming off.

On the show, they were talking about the tubes out the window like TAFC or putting burst panels on the side. I think on the side, but tethered to the frame rail would be the best option (just to keep them from hitting the opponent, even if the body does come off).

Used to, the burst panels would pop off without much effort. Seems now either they don't know, or they're blowing instantaneously with the body coming off.

On the show, they were talking about the tubes out the window like TAFC or putting burst panels on the side. I think on the side, but tethered to the frame rail would be the best option (just to keep them from hitting the opponent, even if the body does come off).
How will you tether the side ones to the frame rails and the tethers not be in the way when raising the body??? The tethers would be so long they would drag the ground and no way to attach them after the body is down.

And hasn't Force and others already tried the tubes out the windows some years ago???

How will you tether the side ones to the frame rails and the tethers not be in the way when raising the body??? The tethers would be so long they would drag the ground and no way to attach them after the body is down.

And hasn't Force and others already tried the tubes out the windows some years ago???
That's the problem I had trying to figure it out. I guess you could tether the panels to the main body, but that would have it's own issues.

Remember when Todd Lesenko's car came off the ground because the body failed to separate? That kinda shows how much force is behind the bombs going off. Controlling that much pressure is hard, and keeping the other guy safe 30 feet away isn't easy either.

Oh, and Todd's burst panel didn't burst until the body was already coming up, and it sectioned out the whole area, not just the panel itself.

You could leave the burst panel off and you still are not going to keep the body on the car with that large of an explosion. It's just to much pressure to fast. I'm not even sure if putting larger and more panels will release enough pressure. But we have to try something. DSR and JFR are working on this problem.

Back
Top Bottom