Future of NASCAR

Cholo

Team Owner
WIth Jr joining Edwards, Gordon, and Stewart on the sidelines and Johnson, Kenseth, and KuBusch all long in the tooth it's time to look ahead to who the next dominant stars will be. Kyle Busch and Keslowski are still only early 30s and have a lot of good days ahead. There are several young drivers like Blaney who don't have much of a body of work yet that could also be stars. Looking at established young drivers though I put this together as a gauge of where guys are in their careers.

Kyle Larson 24 years old 119 starts 48 top tens 2 wins
Joey Logano 26 years old 299 starts 143 top tens 17 wins
Chase Elliott 21 years old 49 starts 23 top tens 0 wins

Some may argue Austin Dillon is a top driver but the stats say otherwise. He has the same number of top 10s as CHase Elliot who is five years younger and has way less than half the starts.

Austin Dillon 26 years old 129 starts 23 top tens 0 wins

I'm not as concerned about the new drivers taking over for the legends. These guys will eventually make a name for themselves. People thought the same thing when Cale, Richard, Booby, and those guys left around the same time.

My concern for NASCAR is two things. One, Brian France. He doesn't get it. He's messed up a good thing and might not get it back. Two, most of the major team owners are 65 and up. When these guys start retiring or even pass away, who is either going to buy one of these teams or even move up from Xfinity?

Between kyle, joey and chase, nearly half of all of their starts have top 10s.

Impressive.

Most of Joey's wins and top tens have come in the past 5 years too

I'm not as concerned about the new drivers taking over for the legends. These guys will eventually make a name for themselves. People thought the same thing when Cale, Richard, Booby, and those guys left around the same time.

My concern for NASCAR is two things. One, Brian France. He doesn't get it. He's messed up a good thing and might not get it back. Two, most of the major team owners are 65 and up. When these guys start retiring or even pass away, who is either going to buy one of these teams or even move up from Xfinity?

You'd think someone would step up and buy the teams. I could see Junior becoming a part owner of a major team and maybe taking over the reigns one day. Same for Gordon.

We only have room for 40 drivers per race. We could lose another
half dozen to retirement next couple years and have their seats filled quickly
with some pretty good talent.

What cracks me up is that everybody says Larson and Elliott are the future when Logano is only 26 and has about 10x the wins lol. Larson, Elliott, Blaney, Jones, and Buescher (in good equipment) are the next wave of contenders, but Logano, Brad, and Rowdy are still gonna be the dominant drivers.

What cracks me up is that everybody says Larson and Elliott are the future when Logano is only 26 and has about 10x the wins lol. Larson, Elliott, Blaney, Jones, and Buescher (in good equipment) are the next wave of contenders, but Logano, Brad, and Rowdy are still gonna be the dominant drivers.

Logano has also been in cup since he was 18... not saying that he isn't top-tier but it's a bit early to say that the other 5 aren't going to be right there with Jolo, Kez, or KyBu... Blaney has been keeping up with his Penske teammates in his sophomore year.

Agreed. I'm hoping JG takes over for Mr. Hendrick. I think Tim Cindric will take over Penske... I think JD was supposed to take over JGR, now I have no clue what direction they will go... and then there is RCR and CGR... who knows.

Iam worried about the next wave of owners after Penske, Mr H, Richard Childress, Roush cant do it anymore. There really are no up and coming teams/owners on the way
I have no doubt that those owners have plans in place for who will take over their organizations when they step away, it would be silly to think otherwise

Nascar needs new and younger fans to join the party and so I don't think the recent and impending retirements will have any impact seeing they are not presently following the series.

Logano has been in NASCAR for almost 10 seasons and 300 starts.

In about 5 years, there won't be more than 25 drivers qualifying for the [your name here] 400's. Nothing any board room can do to fix it at this point, the trend is downwards and it isn't stabilizing anytime soon.

Kurt is like 37 I think. He'll probably be around at least, until 40. Now don't yell at me, I'm purely guessing.

Rowdy, Brad and Joey will rule the next half decade (at least) or so with Larson, Elliot, Blaney, Jones, etc becoming the new crop of soon to be established stars.

Iam worried about the next wave of owners after Penske, Mr H, Richard Childress, Roush cant do it anymore. There really are no up and coming teams/owners on the way
I have no doubt that those owners have plans in place for who will take over their organizations when they step away, it would be silly to think otherwise
In the entire history of Nascar, there has been just one successful passing of a team to a younger generation... when Petty Enterprises transitioned from Lee Petty control to Richard Petty. It is extremely optimistic to assume today's aging owners will completely rewrite that historical pattern. This precarious condition is why the charter system got done, and more needs to happen to make team ownership economically viable.

In the entire history of Nascar, there has been just one successful passing of a team to a younger generation... when Petty Enterprises transitioned from Lee Petty control to Richard Petty. It is extremely optimistic to assume today's aging owners will completely rewrite that historical pattern. This precarious condition is why the charter system got done, and more needs to happen to make team ownership economically viable.
Time will tell what is going to happen, all we can do is speculate, while not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but what happened in the past may not happen in the future.

Roger Penske doesn't have a succession plan in place? Hendricks? Gibbs? Childress?

I find that difficult to imagine.
Yes, most successful businessmen have no clue to how create a succession plan...<sarcasm>

If they race, someone will win and someone will become a leader. Things just happen that way.

Roger Penske doesn't have a succession plan in place? Hendricks? Gibbs? Childress?

I find that difficult to imagine.
Roger Penske said last summer that he has a plan in place for his team to continue, so one could assume Team Penske will carry on over the longer term. Perhaps successfully, at least one would hope so.

What about Hendrick or the others? We always see speculation that Jeff Gordon will take over HMS... but what does that mean? Do we expect Mr. H to gift ownership of HMS to Gordon? Do we expect Gordon to buy the team? It would be normal and expected that Rick Hendrick's companies pass to his wife and family. Do we expect Mrs. H to be a dominantly successful Nascar team owner? What if she chooses to sell the assets to Auto Nation or something?

What if Hendrick's wife does get it and sell to an enity we've not at all familar with and they decide to disband the whole thing?

What if Hendrick's wife does get it and sell to an enity we've not at all familar with and they decide to disband the whole thing?

Who knows what Rick has planned for his race team, auto dealerships and other holdings? IDK what the race team brings to the bottom line but someone may think those resources could be better utilized elsewhere.

Roger Penske said last summer that he has a plan in place for his team to continue, so one could assume Team Penske will carry on over the longer term. Perhaps successfully, at least one would hope so.

What about Hendrick or the others? We always see speculation that Jeff Gordon will take over HMS... but what does that mean? Do we expect Mr. H to gift ownership of HMS to Gordon? Do we expect Gordon to buy the team? It would be normal and expected that Rick Hendrick's companies pass to his wife and family. Do we expect Mrs. H to be a dominantly successful Nascar team owner? What if she chooses to sell the assets to Auto Nation or something?
I expect people to make declarations about the future of their privately held enterprises when it pleases them to do so.

I expect people to make declarations about the future of their privately held enterprises when it pleases them to do so.
And, to tell the truth, it's not our business to know. We may have hopes, we may be disappointed when the time comes, but we have no
say in the matter. Unless of course, some of us hit the lottery, pool our winnings and buy them out.

Thing is the world ain't gonna end 'n neither is NASCAR.

Earnhardt's gone after this season. Maybe Patrick. The right sizing of the show will continue.

The open wheel stuff Patrick was participating in is still alive.

Some of us just love racing, that's why we are fans. I've been watching for around 50 years, and have liked some drivers more than others. but there was never a time, when I considered not watching, because someone retired. Today I have no favorite driver, and haven't had one since Petty retired. That's when I realized the race is the thing. Drivers (and owners, think J.D.Stacy) come and go, but the race is still the thing. Even with Brian France's temporary leadership? NASCAR will survive, I have no doubt.

Logano has also been in cup since he was 18... not saying that he isn't top-tier but it's a bit early to say that the other 5 aren't going to be right there with Jolo, Kez, or KyBu... Blaney has been keeping up with his Penske teammates in his sophomore year.
JGR couldn't give Joey a ride that was competitive. The proof is as soon as he got to Penske he started winning. Joey's team mates at JGR also held him back. You may remember as soon as Joey got into another car Hamlin tried to wreck him a few times. Since he went to Penske he has one of the best records.
Blaney is doing good because he has good team mates unlike what Joey had at JGR.

I'd be concern for the future of the sport overall. Honestly I think in the near future, NASCAR is going to have to do a huge overhaul of it's entire racing program or the decline will get to a point where the France family will have to declare bankruptcy.

I'd be concern for the future of the sport overall. Honestly I think in the near future, NASCAR is going to have to do a huge overhaul of it's entire racing program or the decline will get to a point where the France family will have to declare bankruptcy.

The only really good thing you can say about Nascar is they have one heckuva great broadcasting deal and that helps skew the reality of what their future will end up looking like. IMO Nascar will always be around but will be much smaller with fewer cars, series and race dates.

The only really good thing you can say about Nascar is they have one heckuva great broadcasting deal and that helps skew the reality of what their future will end up looking like. IMO Nascar will always be around but will be much smaller with fewer cars, series and race dates.

If I was other racing series like ARCA, World of Outlaws, etc. I'd be looking for an opportunity to edge in on NASCAR's territory as the premier stock car series and start chipping away at it.

Back
Top Bottom