Future of NC short tracks

Here's what I've been able to find out about what's going on for other NC venues:
The governor said he plans to allow a capacity of 7% for large venues with a seating capacity of more than 10,000, effective Oct. 2. (He's talking about outdoor venues here.) Big tracks like the Charlotte Motor Speedway can take advantage of this. I'm not sure that any NC small tracks are big enough to qualify for that - otherwise, yes you are correct that outdoor venues are limited to 50 people.

Some NC small tracks may have already crippled themselves too much to salvage any remaining season this year.
Bowman Gray Stadium cancelled its season back in July. They don't race past the beginning of college football season, so they would be done by now anyway.
Caraway Speedway has placed some events on their schedule, but it remains to be seen if they will actually host them.
311 Speedway has gone publicly mute since its owner had his "Bubba rope" stupidness... the only way to tell if they're racing is to just show up - and watch out for wild-eyed locals with rifles eyeing you through their gunsights.
Ace Speedway decided to openly defy and fight the governor, and got shut down. Can't fight city hall...
Friendship Speedway tried to keep business as usual, under the radar... eventually they got ratted out so they're closed for now. Other tracks may be in the same boat.
Some of the kart tracks have tried to host races with social distancing rules in place, and under the radar. Apparently they have been able to get the hardcore teams to show, and they are still posting events.

The 7% capacity may have an impact on whether the Dirt Track at Charlotte can host the World Finals in November. With the World of Outlaws late models, sprint cars, and SuperDirt modifieds, no way they can pay the purse on just 7% capacity unless they get creative and sell a bunch of pit passes to anyone else that just happen go to the stands to watch. Other tracks have done this.

Short tracks will continue to be singled out and restricted far worse than other industries in the state because of the kerfuffle between Ace Speedway and the state.

I knew Carteret was gonna get shut down after what the crowd looked like on Labor Day Weekend.

Caraway Speedway has placed some events on their schedule, but it remains to be seen if they will actually host them.

Caraway Speedway and Orange County Speedway are opening with fans, even after Carteret was shut down. Orange County's trying to be cute and is selling non-essential pit passes to fans at the back gate then letting them go sit in the stands.

Hickory's been racing without fans and putting the races either on Speed51 or on Facebook Live.

I've been to some of these races where fans weren't allowed and it is kind of eerie.

311 Speedway has gone publicly mute since its owner had his "Bubba rope" stupidness... the only way to tell if they're racing is to just show up - and watch out for wild-eyed locals with rifles eyeing you through their gunsights.

Oh they've been racing, they just sell over 1,000 pit passes each week. They also keep posting political stuff.

These tracks don't get that they just make it worse when they do this Trump No More bull**** and Run Forest Run ****.

Oh they've been racing, they just sell over 1,000 pit passes each week. They also keep posting political stuff.

These tracks don't get that they just make it worse when they do this Trump No More bull**** and Run Forest Run ****.
I noticed Stateline in Lawsonville was running full cap (at least it looked like it from pictures), but they're so far out in the sticks no one seems to be bothered. Gotta wonder if the WoO Finals might get moved to Lancaster, Cherokee, or Lakeview SC. Have to imagine the books on a lot of these places that are getting scrutinized aren't looking so good... Damn shame.

I noticed Stateline in Lawsonville was running full cap (at least it looked like it from pictures), but they're so far out in the sticks no one seems to be bothered. Gotta wonder if the WoO Finals might get moved to Lancaster, Cherokee, or Lakeview SC. Have to imagine the books on a lot of these places that are getting scrutinized aren't looking so good... Damn shame.

It's really only asphalt tracks getting singled out and closed down. Seems like dirt tracks and drag strips can do whatever they want. Again, probably a lot to do with the feud between Jason Turner and the state.

Hadn't seen any news articles about 311, not even race results posted, since Fulp claimed he was quitting social media. He shut down the track website, and its Facebook page (and his old Twitter account) hadn't been updated in months (as of about three weeks ago, which was the last time I looked). He did advertise 311 on his tubing business website for a while, but appeared to stop doing that too.

Doesn't surprise me that he is still flaunting the rules, and still posting antagonistic political propaganda. But where is he posting it now?

Hadn't seen any news articles about 311, not even race results posted, since Fulp claimed he was quitting social media. He shut down the track website, and its Facebook page (and his old Twitter account) hadn't been updated in months (as of about three weeks ago, which was the last time I looked). He did advertise 311 on his tubing business website for a while, but appeared to stop doing that too.

Doesn't surprise me that he is still flaunting the rules, and still posting antagonistic political propaganda. But where is he posting it now?

They're racing tonight. They're probably doing a lot to stay out of the spotlight, but I've seen a lot of posts about 311 just today.

They're racing tonight. They're probably doing a lot to stay out of the spotlight, but I've seen a lot of posts about 311 just today.
I know it's a typical race night for 311, although the weather looks a little iffy.
But where are you seeing these posts about 311? Are they on individual accounts (no officially 311 track accounts)?

I know it's a typical race night for 311, although the weather looks a little iffy.
But where are you seeing these posts about 311? Are they on individual accounts (no officially 311 track accounts)?

Well, thanks, but I'm not going to sign up for Facebook and get into all of that mess. That's why I asked if it was individuals posting about what's going on at 311, instead of an official track account.

Back
Top Bottom