Fuzzy's Triple Crown

• Thread starter Restrictor Plate King!
  • Start date
R

Restrictor Plate King!

So I noticed no one has said anything about the Triple Crown by Fuzzy's. I was thinkinng myself that it was about time but also, will anyone ever be able to claim it? Winning a 500 mile IndyCar race is tough enough to do once during the season, three times has proven to be nearly impossible. Looking back over the years, the last time one driver won 2 500 milers in the same season was Juan Montoya back in 2000 when he won the then IRL Indianapolis 500 & then the CART Michigan 500. Buddy Rice back in 2004 seems to have been the last driver to win two distance oval events of 400 or more miles in the same season. If you look prior to Montoya in 2000 you gotta go all the way back to 1991 when Rick Mears won both the Indy 500 & Marlboro 500 from the pole. As far as I know, the IndyCar Triple Crown has only been claimed once by Al Unser all the way back in 1978. Seems you may have a better shot at winning the Triple Crown of Horse Racing so IMO with that knowledge I think the payout for winning the "Fuzzy's Triple Crown" should be raised to $5,000,000 with $1,000,000 going to any driver who can claim 2 out of the three. A quarter mill for 2 wins years ago was Ok but this is the new era, payout should be bigger... Any thoughts...??

Interesting idea. But I think it might be hard to start a triple crown like tradition. I think NASCAR tried something like that in the 90's where a driver could win $1 million for winning 3 of the 4 big races - I can't remember what the four tracks were. Jeff Gordon won it and the tradition ended.

I'm thinking the drivers might have three tracks they rate higher than others. Maybe Indy, Milwaukee, and a road course (I'm drawing a blank trying to remember the name of the track with the downhill blind corner in CA).

I'm thinking the drivers might have three tracks they rate higher than others. Maybe Indy, Milwaukee, and a road course (I'm drawing a blank trying to remember the name of the track with the downhill blind corner in CA).
That's Laguna Seca, now Mazda Raceway.

Indycar and Fuzzy's have done a terrible job at promoting this. I've watched every race and surf lots of racing sites, but had all but forgotten about it. That might help start a tradition.

That's Laguna Seca, now Mazda Raceway.

Indycar and Fuzzy's have done a terrible job at promoting this. I've watched every race and surf lots of racing sites, but had all but forgotten about it. That might help start a tradition.

Same. It seemed like a cool idea, but they haven't mentioned it all.

Hopefully, it'll be mentioned a lot at Pocono, since it is the second "Triple Crown" race and the first one that isn't the Indianapolis 500. Come to think of it, I don't think there is much talk of the horse racing triple crown at the first event because it is, of course, the Kentucky Derby.

I'm kind of excited to see the IndyCars return to Pocono. I am too young to remember the last time they raced there. Since the track was built for IndyCars back in the '70s and the turns are even based on Indianapolis, Milwaukee and (the ill-fated open-wheel track at) Trenton, I expect them to put on a good show. I expect the low-to-moderate banking (14 degrees, if I recall correctly) to put on a good show with the single seaters, like Indianapolis or Milwaukee.

Cool concept, but I also kind of think of it as 500 miles or bust. ESPN/ABC only had a time slot for 400 though. Regardless, the drivers seemed like they're looking forward to it after the Tuesday test.

That's 4 time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, who won the Triple Crown in '78. 'Little Al' was only 16 then.
The head guy he talks about, Jim Hall, is the father of modern racecar aero theory. The Chaparral CanAm cars were pretty amazing.

Back
Top Bottom