Gary Rossington - RIP

🥺
I will never forget Gary. I couldn't tell you how much that I have listened to him, for me it goes back to 1974.
Like Allen Collins, Gary was a great lead guitar player. But I will remember his work on the slide the most. "Tuesday Gone", Traveling Man", "Searching" just so many great songs before the plane crash.

They left Greenville in 1977 a day before my 16th birthday. It was just a week after they released the Street Survivors album. Musically speaking they were and still are the best I have ever heard the songs that fill my imagination the most.

Ronnie was the iconic front man and his lyrics probably left the greatest impression. But the best guitars I have ever heard was that triple guitar-attack with Gary, and Allen plus Ed King or either Steve Gaines complimenting them with a Fender. The extra guitar was never wasted.

There are others that played faster notes, and maybe doing more of the guitar gymnastic stuff that the guitars nerds love the most. But as for personal taste I have never anything better than the trio paired with Ronnie's lyrics. There are not enough superlatives.
Rest in peace Gary and thanks for an incredibile amount of great memories.

I will probably post some more later. Their music has been a great pleasure in my life, I listen to them at least three or four times per week, sometimes every day of the week. A lot of good memories to be posted are yet to be realized. There will never be a final thought.

RIP

Gary was the last original member that most people will think of and I think that is accurate.

Ricky Medlocke joined them in 1996 as a lead guitarist, but his earliest work with Lynyrd goes back to 1971 and 1972 on the drums, some of those songs are on "the first and last album".

But Gary was still the last living member for the most classic and famous line-up.

I saw the tribute tour concert in 1987. They wheeled Collins out in a wheelchair and the place went nuts.
It was a great show.

Back
Top Bottom