Get ready for a lot more Kevin Harvick

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Jan 4, 2017.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Kevin Harvick wants to follow Jeff Gordon into NASCAR broadcast booth

The 2014 champion will call eight races this season

Kevin Harvick doesn’t plan to leave his post at Stewart-Haas Racing anytime soon, but he believes he has a future in television once retirement comes calling.

The 2014 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion was announced as a television analyst for eight FOX Sports Xfinity and Truck Series broadcasts this season. His part-time duties start with the Xfinity season opener at Daytona on Feb. 25.

He will also join the FS1 NASCAR Race Hub crew during the season, highlighting a rotating panel of current drivers and crew chiefs to discuss the latest news in stock-car racing. The 35-race Cup Series winner says he’s made such a large commitment because he’s trying to prepare himself for life after NASCAR.

"I really enjoy calling races," Harvick said. "I enjoy the perspective of sitting up there and trying to figure out what’s going on. I also want to be a part of watching these young guys come up through the NASCAR Camping World Truck and Xfinity Series and have the experience of having been in the booth when they raced because, ultimately, it’s something I want to do down the road when I’m done driving."

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/...cialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

FLRacingFan likes this.
  2. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

I guess the 5 is safe.

For now.

Charlie Spencer and DanicaFreak like this.
  3. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I imagine he'll replace Jaws at Fox when the time comes. Or replace Burton at NBC.

4. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

5. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

kevin setting up his after racing gig. I like kevin, like his knowledge.

cheesepuffs likes this.
  6. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Maybe someday, we'll be able to hear him call Keelan to the line @ the 2033 Daytona 500?

Johali, sdj and DanicaFreak like this.
  7. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

that would be awesome. REAL not fake emotion in announcers is needed

8. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Ya know, I enjoy watching Kevin race but if his retirement -guaranteed- Darrell getting out of the booth, I'd have to support that decision.

If it would get rid of both Waltrips and all the infield 'hosts', I'd support anyone currently active to retire, including Matt Kenseth!

9. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Honestly, I'd rather see him replace Jeff Burton at NBC. Maybe it can be a two for one special with Ralph Sheheen or Dave Burns being promoted to do play-by-play.

Can't believe I'm saying this because I can't stand Jaws as a commentator anymore, but Fox's coverage was so far superior to NBC's last year and literally the only change Fox made was putting Jeff Gordon in the booth.

I'll take Darrell Waltrip over the commercials on NBC any day. For some reason, all those NBC networks are terrible about commercials. MSNBC was dreadful on election night, SyFy has a commercial break every three minutes, NASCAR on NBCSN is LOL and USA Network is commercial city.

cheesepuffs likes this.
  10. 29-4

29-4 Team Owner

If Earnhardt retires first, which I would guess he will, I don't know where there'll be room on tv? Earnhardt impressed me a lot during his injury--I didn't think I had more to learn about racing at Talladega, but I sure did that day. Maybe DW is going to hang it up soon?

11. Charlie Spencer

I dunno about Jr. in the booth. His knowledge of its history would be an asset, but I haven't heard him much so I don't know how he'd present himself.

12. jws926

jws926 Team Owner

But, Jr never said he was going to TV when he retires, you are just sort of assuming that he will.

( Maybe he did say that and I missed it)

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  13. oldgoat

oldgoat Team Owner

I think that both Jr and Kevin would do good in the booth. The top of the lists to replace are the Waltrips. To me they are most annoying that there is.

14. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex I'm so unbothered and that is what bothers people

Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Chad Knaus pls.

Team Penske and FLRacingFan like this.
  15. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Everything's Great!

I'm not a fan of Harvick the driver, but I'm a big fan of Harvick the commentator. He's awesome in the booth.

16. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I would like Matt to retire the next time the wind changes. :D

17. Charlie Spencer

I could break that wind for you, if you'd like. :p

Team Penske likes this.
  18. Ford 222

Ford 222 Crew Chief

If it gets his ass off the track, the sooner the better. Then we won't have to watch him act like billy badass to all the young, new drivers with his team behind him.

LewTheShoe, oldbob and Team Penske like this.
  19. darlingtonfan

darlingtonfan Crew Chief

I'm sorry,but all the talk about some of these guys retiring makes me feel like I'm 90 years old.To be in your 40's and thinking retirement is unreal.The one thing Nascar has over other pro sports,we don't hear about our famous stars broke after only a couple years after retiring.

kymartin6 likes this.
  20. Simple Fan

Simple Fan First or Last

21. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

There's no such thing as too much Kevin Harvick!

22. Stewart Fan

Stewart Fan Team Owner

DW should've been replaced a long time ago. Gordon brought some much needed youth (in comparison) to the group when Larry Mac was demoted. Dw should go after this season.

23. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

He can go anytime.

24. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

:fixed:

25. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

While I like DW, I'm not a fan of him in the booth..... anymore. I think, like his driving career, he's in there well beyond his prime. I'd like to see him step out of the booth and move to do some fluff interviews and the like for FOX. He's a likeable guy IMO and I don't want to see him go away from the sport.

Team Penske likes this.
  26. Charlie Spencer

27. Charlie Spencer

It's not so much that Gordo brought relative youth to the booth as much as he brought recent experience. DW hasn't been behind the wheel in over 15 years. I like Larry Mac in the booth, but he too hasn't touched a Cup wrench in a similar amount of time. Their knowledge and experiences are mostly outdated.

DW is also prone to jumping to conclusions immediately after an incident. Replays prove him wrong far more often than they support him.

Great guy personally, but I don't like him in the booth full-time.

28. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

Putting drivers in the booth for the xfinity races is a good experiment.

One of the qualities for being a NASCAR driver these days is to be a good spokesman - commercials, interviews, etc. This will translate into a larger pool of future announcers.

29. MRM

MRM Team Owner

Seem to be several guys setting themselves up for a TV gig after their racing career. Problem is there are only so many TV gigs to go around.

30. The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy Stylin and Profilin

I think that DW needs to go and we need a crew chief in the booth. I like having a driver and crew chief in there because both offer a different perspective.

31. Charlie Spencer

I like it when a Cup driver who owns an X team is in the booth when one of his drivers does something that helps him gain more 'sperience than track position. :D

Zerkfitting likes this.