*getting on soapbox*

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
Two items that have steamed me just a little ---

1. Steve's wreck. Dale Jarrett loses his car, all by himself, and no one says a thing. He was lucky to not hit the wall. Steve loses his car, in almost the same spot, and people say he needs to quit racing.

2. Dale Junior's 2 tire stop at the end. Johnny Benson said that he did the same thing since the rights were only 12 laps old. Both finish in the top ten, yet people criticize Junior's crew, but not Johnny's.

*stepping off soapbox*

Just had to vent a little.

TRL, you have a good point, no comeback, but I guess it just goes to expectations....

Any given race, Schrader will finish 14th and have people commend him on it, but if Gordon finishes there, it's a dissapointment...

TRL, how dare you compare the two!!!!!! Everyone knows Steve can't drive and Jr has no idea what to do during pit stops!!! He can only pose for pictures and sell Drakkar!!!!

Dale Jarrett is the MAN!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'll put down my Jack and coke now.........

Just kidding with you TRL, I can't wait to hear how Jarrett was plowed into from behind and spun out and had nothing to do with it himself.....

On the first observation....one "sumbuck what happened?" compared to an ongoing string......

On the 2nd observation.....imo 4 tires would not have put either JR or Johnny in Victory Lane. Know when to hold em.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
Two items that have steamed me just a little ---

1. Steve's wreck.  Dale Jarrett loses his car, all by himself, and no one says a thing.  He was lucky to not hit the wall.  Steve loses his car, in almost the same spot, and people say he needs to quit racing.

Dale hasn't wrecked nearly every week.

2. Dale Junior's 2 tire stop at the end.  Johnny Benson said that he did the same thing since the rights were only 12 laps old.  Both finish in the top ten, yet people criticize Junior's crew, but not Johnny's.

I've heard people criticize Jr's crew for the strangest of reasons. But if two teams make the same call and it doesn't work out for one of them, they obviously didn't make the right call for their given situation.

Oh, I thought Jr did take 4, but it was confusing at the end so I'm really not sure (for real)

Jarrett had the car in the spring race, had the same notes to go on as they didn't make an aero change, and had the car to beat in the end......No offense, but why is there surprise he kicked butt?

Originally posted by fergy1370
TRL, how dare you compare the two!!!!!! Everyone knows Steve can't drive and Jr has no idea what to do during pit stops!!! He can only pose for pictures and sell Drakkar!!!!

Dale Jarrett is the MAN!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'll put down my Jack and coke now.........

Just kidding with you TRL, I can't wait to hear how Jarrett was plowed into from behind and spun out and had nothing to do with it himself.....

And you wonder why I trash your driver. You guys start it before it's even there.

I was thinking that very same thing about Steve and DJ while watching Inside Winston Cup, TRL. I know Steve has had his problems, but he's an awfully easy target these days for people predisposed to disliking him and DEI.

Kinda like George Bush.
sprachlos011.gif

Originally posted by fergy1370
Are you upset that I beat you to the punch? :D

No pun intended......;)

No, you didn't beat me to the punch, looking at my post you can see that I had no intention of trashing Jr.

Now you just look like an instigator.

Originally posted by abooja
I was thinking that very same thing about Steve and DJ while watching Inside Winston Cup, TRL. I know Steve has had his problems, but he's an awfully easy target these days for people predisposed to disliking him and DEI.

That's all it is, just people that don't like DEI?

I think there's more to it than that.

Well the bummer is that I DO like Steve Park. He is a very likeable guy. Whether he ever was or ever will be the wonderkid some people think he might be I don't know.....Big E saw something and that's all I know.

Any comments I make concerning Steve are not meant as derogitory in any way. They are simply my observations.

I like Steve Park too. He was/is the most talented driver on DEI.

But of course our opinions don't mean anything if we don't have our Bud pom-poms on.

I just love it when all these armchair Crewchiefs and Stockcar drivers come up with all the answers and "what I would have done" AFTER the event!!:) Anyone think that the CC's and drivers do something that would cause them not to win? They do what they think is best at the moment.......they don't have this great luxury of hindsight!!:) Speculating why Park hit the wall and DJ didn't is just plain assinine!! Someone says Park and DJ's spins happened at exactly the same place, exactly same situation........BS!! Park didn't have DJ's tires, was his rpm's the same? Are the two cars identical in horsepower? Was that rubber on the track the same temperture, thickness, did someone spit out the window? Geeze guys, get real.

Now......I'm off my soapbox!!

Sorry it took me so long to answer --- I went back to my race tape and checked. fergy, DJ was not hit from behind. He simply got loose, and turned the car.

Paul, I know DJ hasn't wrecked every week. I wasn't using any other race, other than Michigan.

Perhaps I should have said that Park's "an awfully easy target these days, especially for people predisposed to disliking him and DEI". Sure, he's not 100% right now, but that doesn't mean he'll never be. I say the true test is next season. If he can't pull together a top 15 points finish, then dump him. Ricky Craven didn't exactly light the track on fire after his wreck.

BTW, Paul: where exactly does one purchase Bud pom poms?

Sorry it took me so long to answer --- I went back to my race tape and checked.  fergy, DJ was not hit from behind.  He simply got loose, and turned the car.

Paul, I know DJ hasn't wrecked every week.  I wasn't using any other race, other than Michigan.

If we were to look at only that race, then there's no reason to think anyone should retire. I don't think anyone would be calling for Park's retirement if he had only spun at MIS this past weekend.

It's hard for me too TRL, been pulling for Park's success for a few years now...I really like the guy.

And he's the only New Yorker in Winston Cup that I truly like.

Well, him and Tommy Baldwin. :)

I have no use for the Bodine clan.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but they don't kick! Why is it so bad to point out that Steve Park couldn't miss a wall so help him, but it's OK for everyone to poke fun at Jimmy Spencer? He does have fans too ya know...I've met all four of them. If it is all right to say that, to paraphrase some on here, Spencer is a dirty driving, fat, no talented hot head, then it should be all right to be just as harsh on someone who hasn't missed a wall in I don't know when. I bet anyone that Park has wrecked more often this season than Spencer has spun anyone. Oh, wait a secong, NOW I get it....Park's a "hottie", right? :bleh: Because most certainly no one would blindly defend him just because it's a DEI car...we all know better than that...:rolleyes:

Hmm, TN Ward Fan, you have a point (damn, that hurt to say!) :)

I don't think Park is a "hottie", nor do I think any other man is.....but he is one of my favorite drivers. That is why I will defend him.

Do I think he should have sat this season out? Yep, most definitely. I wish he would have at least stayed out of W.C races the rest of the year. Maybe hit a few Busch races just to keep in touch with the tracks and the cars, nothing too drastic. Next year, he would have had plenty of tiem to heal and get back into the swing of things and hit the track running....

It is amzing how people will go off at the drivers of DEI cars though....one is gay, one is brian damaged, one thinks he is a model, ect, ect, ect.....

Just as amazing as people go off on Kurt Busch and Jimmy Spencer and Todd Bodine and Tony Stewart and...the list goes on and on. One should fly because his ears are so big, one only races because there is food at the finish line, one is bald, one is a brat. That stuff is all ok to say, as it's not making fun of Jr.

Almost like what it was like when Sr was driving...a genius move for him was called dirty driving if another driver did it.

Stop pretending to be a tortured martyr because you're not.

people predisposed to disliking him

Or just maybe it's because people are concerned about him and the potential (very real) for a serious head injury that would change his life forever?

Every time I see Steve spin, my heart stops. More for him than ost drivers because of the numerous hits he has already taken. The cumulative effect could cost him his ability to speak or think clearly.

It's not criticism.

And DJ won the race...best car....darn good driver.

Well, Lizzy, you beat me to it! Since I don't (I don't think I have) talked about any other drivers--in public- I just wanted to say, if I
mention Steve not running it's the worry of his recovery. I'm sorry, I've always liked Steve, have nothing against any of the DEI drivers but Steve is not the same right now. Having dealt with a major head injury incident (my son's) and as part of my job for many years, every time he spins and hits (especially if his head gets knocked around) increases his chances for a less than 100% recovery. If you listen to his speech pattern now and note his affect, you can tell things aren't right yet. I for one can't wait for him to start having the consistent runs that he probably should've, would've, could've had pre race injury. I like the guy for real.
Now, TRL, being a DJ fan I must say I'm glad he won and I'm glad that in no interview did I hear him blame anyone for spinning him. I did note the announcers were looking for an excuse though. They didn't find one. Also, I never even thought that Steve's spin was anything more or less than DJ's. LOL
I won't get into the tire thing cause I haven't a clue what they should do. Whatever any of them did I guess either worked or not.
I certainly can't complain, DJ first and TS second--can't get much better than that if you're me. LOL

TRL,DJ has had his share of blunders thats for sure,they all have for that matter.But Steve does seem to be a bit out of focus of late,and he is a sure target for critical remarks.Someone will take his place someday,and it may be a favorite,or not.Just happens this time it is.:)

Back
Top Bottom