GM Getting Rid of Internal Combustion Engines, Will Go All Electric

They know how hard it will be. Polluted cities across the world are/will be banning internal combustion vehicles over the next 20 years, so it's a must have to stay in business for the long term.
The difference, France has the year 2040 picked, which is a more reasonable date IMO

So let me get this straight.

Tesla's electric vehicle sales are miniscule so far.

Electric vehicles have been on sale for around a decade WITH extra government incentives slapped on them, and sales are underwhelming. The public has had every chance to own electric vehicles and its just not coming to fruition. The demand isnt there.

Now GM wants to aim for an all electric vehicle line up? What a knee slapper.

The internal combustion engine is, and will be, the most economical tool of travel for quite some time.

Electric vehicles have been on sale for around a decade WITH extra government incentives slapped on them, and sales are underwhelming. The public has had every chance to own electric vehicles and its just not coming to fruition. The demand isnt there.

The internal combustion engine is, and will be, the most economical tool of travel for quite some time.

Did you ever sell your buggy whip manufacturer stock? ;)

In today's economy, technology moves so fast that entire sectors appear and disappear in less than a decade.

This is so ****** I can't believe it. The technology for electric powered vehicles is NO WHERE CLOSE to what it needs to be to replace combustion engines. Hydrogen fuel cells???? Is that a ****** joke???? With what hydrogen fill-up station network???? Hell, at least with hydrogen, I could (in theory) fill-up and keep driving my car without having to charge it for HOURS. Should I start getting quotes from electricians to install a docking station in my home so my vehicle won't need all night to charge? Guess I'll have to buy a GAS-POWERED generator so that when the power goes out I can still drive a car like my father with his gas engine could, and his father with his gas engine could.

I have a coworker with a Tesla,it's funny watching him plan trips around charging stations.It took him a couple days to make it from Charlotte NC to Orlando,Florida because the charging stations were full when he got there and had to wait for owners to finish charging their cars.If you were commuting around town it would work.

If this is real, the Xfinity Series should become NASCAR's electronic series until it really takes off. Or it might never take off which is my hope because I'd rather pay $10 gallon than have a weak ass electric car.

I just dont see a electric Camaro. Granted I've never seen an electric car in real life. Watched a few Formula E races and its nothing spectacular so far.

Good, the days of gas powered cars should of ended years ago. Glad to see auto makers moving forward with better technology, you cant improve on it without making the first important steps.

20 years? Kinda explains why my wife’s Chevy Volt was such a pos.

Good, the days of gas powered cars should of ended years ago. Glad to see auto makers moving forward with better technology, you cant improve on it without making the first important steps.
Pffft lol

Gasoline is still the easiest, affordable and accommodable fuel for vehicle travel. There will never be a 100% full alternative.

I think the perfect situation is people traveling in gasoline/diesel, electric, hybrid, and other alt fuel sources at the same time. The competition will drive down costs across the board.

More then likely your friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer, specializing their product will be good for the maintenance/repair side of their business.

Exactly I won't be able to work on my car anymore. I don't have a damn idea how to fix a hydrogen fuel cell haha

NASCAR managed to keep carburetor manufacturers in business long after fuel injection became the norm so is there any chance that the same might be true with internal combustion engines. :idunno:

Yep, it'll take a LONG time for the majority of cars on the road to be electric. Hell, hybrids have been around for almost two decades and they still only make up like 3% of all new car sales.

Call me when they produce an affordable 1 ton electric pickup that can pull m 14,000 lb 5er 900+ miles to/from the beach twice a year. Until then I'll continue to fill up @ the diesel fuel stops.

As a truck owner, I agree with this statement.

Yes the "better technology" of cars that can go 80 miles before having to charge them for hours so you can go another 80. It blows my 2010 Hyundai Elantra's 350+ mile range that takes 90 seconds to re-fill out of the water. Totally better than gas. :sarcasm:

"At some unspecified point..."

So unlike Volvo, GM doesn't have a time table. Some of y'all are acting like Chevy is going to swap out their inventory overnight. It's a first step, a starting point. They'll likely have overlapping platforms for years. I applaud them for trying to get ahead of the curve. Too many big industries work harder to maintain the status quo than they do on developing new technologies.

With that said, I won't buy anything from GM, regardless of propulsion system, until they get their quality up for the vehicles I'm interested in (i.e., cars and not trucks). If Consumer Reports gives them marks as good or better than their competitors' four-door sedans and hatchbacks, I'll consider them.

Up here in the northern latitudes in winter, the weak link in a car is the battery. There are a lot of unanswered questions like how long do the batteries last vs. a practical range (a worn battery doesn't have the range of a new one). I wonder what the range is when you turn on the heater? How will old batteries be recycled (there are pretty nasty chemicals in there) and how much will replacements cost? What happens when you run out of electrons on the highway? I can see a gas/electric hybird working but electric only won't work here.

Up here in the northern latitudes in winter, the weak link in a car is the battery. There are a lot of unanswered questions like how long do the batteries last vs. a practical range (a worn battery doesn't have the range of a new one). I wonder what the range is when you turn on the heater? How will old batteries be recycled (there are pretty nasty chemicals in there) and how much will replacements cost? What happens when you run out of electrons on the highway? I can see a gas/electric hybird working but electric only won't work here.
I spent $165 +tax on a battery for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler the other day. :mad: A regular car battery that only lasted slightly over 3 years. I can't begin to imagine the cost of replacing multiple batteries in one of those eco friendly vehicles.

I'm amused that this conversation is taking place on a technology that wasn't practical for consumers 20 years ago. Lemme see if I can find Dad's Hayes 9600-baud modem in the attic; man, that was FAST. The guys at Radio Shack could fix that with their soldering irons. Besides, nobody is going to bring cable or DSL out here in the suburbs.

So at some time in the near future will we go back to watching RC racing?

People are just to concerned about recharging times and availability.
No worries the car companies have contengency plans in place that will never leave a consumer stranded. Just trust the system, people.
key-500-smart-cars-wind-up-key_1wtmk.jpg

I spent $165 +tax on a battery for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler the other day. :mad: A regular car battery that only lasted slightly over 3 years. I can't begin to imagine the cost of replacing multiple batteries in one of those eco friendly vehicles.

I was told for the hybrid ford fusions if the batts break and its off warranty get rid of the car.
I was exposed to this when I drove taxi more often.

I'd be surprised if electric cars ever take off. Big oil lobbyists are more powerful than you think.

I'm amused that this conversation is taking place on a technology that wasn't practical for consumers 20 years ago. Lemme see if I can find Dad's Hayes 9600-baud modem in the attic; man, that was FAST. The guys at Radio Shack could fix that with their soldering irons. Besides, nobody is going to bring cable or DSL out here in the suburbs.

I see your point, but it goes both ways. Back in the 90's, some people thought cars would be flying by now. Technology is very fast to develop in some areas yet slow to adapt in others.

Back
Top Bottom