Going To A Race

D

dan

i am one who conplains about the cost of a race the amount of mony that is made at a race but i feel my cap locks comming on again:THERE IS NOTHING LIKE GOING TO A RACE i have been to just a few tracks, indy, daytona,michigan and bristol and for us poor folk they are expensive but i have never had so much fun (execpt for small dirt tracks) or have i met somany nice people as i have at a race track. some people may have too much to drink but their friends take care of them, not sure i have ever seen a fight at a race. race fans are just out to have a good time. who has been to the most tracks (dif tracks)

Dan,You have added a new meaning to shorthand.:p I wish I could afford to watch racing on TV.:p

:) pb this does not mean the track at espn,tnt,speed,fox belive it or not these are not tracks

I got a field down in SE Ohio,Let me set some seats up,sell you some beer,and you won,t even know there not a race going on.:)

dan, you are so right. There is absolutely nothing like attending a race. I've been everywhere from the big tracks to the shortest tracks. The feel of the cars as they blow by you. The sights, the smells, the noise --- there is nothing like it.

I've had to cut waaaay back on my going since I retired, though. *sigh*

Let's see: Las Vegas, Texas, 'Dega, Daytona, Bristol, Dover, Darlington, Martinsville, Michigan, Homestead, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Indy. Will add Richmond this fall. Love them all. :loveya
(well, maybe not Homestead--LOL)

:) texasracelady: have your ears recovered from bristol that is a good track full of action i like michigan most people think it is borring but if you have a need for speed that is a good track

Not sure if we can say this on this forum
GOD BLESS AMERICA

TRL,Did you know Dan is going to retire in about 72 hrs.I may send him to all the races.That way he can stay out of trouble.:)

Originally posted by dan
:) texasracelady: have your ears recovered from bristol that is a good track full of action i like michigan most people think it is borring but if you have a need for speed that is a good track

Not sure if we can say this on this forum
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Dan,
If we can't I'm outta here. You bet your bippy we can and will say it!
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
There you go!

No problem at Bristol --- had my headset on and my scanner going! Of course, it took a while for my ears to recover from some of the "chatting" going on between driver and crew chief. hehehe

I enjoyed Michigan for 4 years. Sat in turn 1 -- could look straight down pit road.

Being at the track for a race is an entirely differnet deal from the TV. The colors are sharper and brighter thanthe screen can show. Plus ya get all the sounds and smells. Not to mention you really can feel the electricity in tha air.

Been very lucky in my time to get out to more WC races than I can honeslty count. Not to mention the BGN, and manyother series outside of NASCAR. Looking back if given the opportunity, there is not one I've been to that i would rather have passed. Only more that I wish I could hve seen.

As to the tracks, of those currenlty on the schedule there are few I've yet to see. Chicago, Sears Point, Kansas, New Hampshire, and Las Vegas. Of those gone now, went to Wilkesboro, Nashville, and Ontario. Buncha short tracks and bull rings long gone as well.

Never been to a boring race. :)

Television has a hard time with some races. They apparently feel compelled to concentrate on the front runners at least 80 or 90 percent of the time. Sometimes there may be nothing much happening at the front of the pack, but almost always there are battles for position somewhere. And the drivers fighting for that 20th or 25th spot are beating feet just as hard as the leaders to get that move up.

Plus for me, at the track I check out who's struggling, who's smooth, or how this rookie I've never seen race before is handling his ride.

Something is always cooking in the pits, even while the cars are on the track, add the radio chatter and timing different cars to see who's fast and who's falling off. Comparing intervals to see how fast the gap is closing or if its widening.

For me there is so much to do and so little time, never thought about boring.

In 1993 I went to the first 20 races with the 75 WCup team!
I made it to every track on the schedule at that time!
there definately is nothing like being there, When your standing in the infield @ Bristol & a car drives down in that corner! WOW
The sparks fly ! It's the wildest thing I've ever witnessed! Turn 1 @ Dover is the same!

:leap:

:beerchug:

:calpping:

For me, attending a race provides more color, excitement, and comraderie than I get sitting at home by myself watching it on television. Nothing was cooler to me than getting to meet people in the parking area at Charlotte. Going to the Bristol night race was one of the most exciting things I have ever done (and I've done some interesting things). Not a bad seat in the house, and we got to walk down to the fence and feel the hot rubber slap our faces as the field roared by. Even going to Pocono, a track that was miserable to watch a race at, was cool because I got to barbecue some kielbasa and walk in the stands around the track after the race was over and most everyone had cleared out.

That having been said, I generally have a better idea of who's doing what when I watch races on television. But maybe that's because I need more sperience. It's difficult balancing the scanner, headphones, programs, camera, binoculars (some tracks), purse, souvenirs and a 16-oz Bud all at once. Maybe I'll practice this weekend in my bedroom. ;)

Abooja, get all the practice in you can.;) When you move down there you will need it.

Right on, Tabasco! Because, if I do move to NC, I'll be going to 15-20 Cup races a year. :D

Not to mention, the occasional road trip to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, and Florida. :hyper:

Omigosh, why am I still here??!

Been to pheonix about 9 times, sears point 5 or 6, a couple at vegas and california speedway once. liked them all. I really want to go to daytona at least once. My big goal is a night race at bristol, which will probably cost me a fortune but would be worth it.:beerchug:

Grew up at Riverside, getting passes from Dave when the Cuppers were in town (or over at Ontario) and camping out in the infield at almost every major and a whole lot of minor events ever held there.

The three day SCCA weekends were the best. Sometimes as many as 500 or so cars with inspection and qualifying on Friday, the next two days would be racing from right after sunup to sundown. If you live any where near a road course I would highly recomend an SCCA weekend adventure.

When Vegas first opened, I had two start/finish tics about 30 rows up but their pooter crashed and they lost my spot. Didn't go the next year but spent the next 2 in the wooden grandstands off of turn three but would wander over near the line as soon as the race got under way. This year I got a comp tic from a friend who runs a concession. Haven't missed a Cup qualifying session or Busch race here yet.

Qualifying has always been one of my fave days at any track. Hardly anybody around but folks who really know about and enjoy auto racing. Wandering around the track getting the view from all over. At Riverside you could walk along the infield fence as the drivers walked the track. Some of them would come over to talk. I even had the pleasure of advising Lake Speed on the best way thru the esses back when he was a rookie.

One of the great joys of Las Vegas Motor Speedway for me is The Bullring which puts on nascar weekly racing every Sat night...Stop by In and Out for burgers and shakes on the way, and stay late to hang in the pits with the drivers and teams afterwards.

Also been to Orange Show, Perris, and Corona Speedways in SoCal, and must raise my voice to add to those who say there is nothing in the world like being there, but have to add that to me it hardly matters what kinds of cars are on the tracks or who the drivers are. It's just plain fun. :D

Am hoping to get to Little Pocono....errrr Pheonix this year for the first time. I'm thinking I'll buy a really good set of binocs and sit up on the hill with a battery operated TV unless racer8 can recomend some really good cheap seats.;)

I agree 71fan, qualifying day is the best day to be there. even though I have only been to 5 or 6 searspoint races in the last 12 years i almost always go on friday for practice and qualifying. It is also a great time to buy t-shirts etc. without the crowds.

TV just cant show what a race really has to offer...as said before it makes some races boring. But I will say TV shows stuff that you cant see at the track, as the track shows you stuff that TV cant.

There's just nothing like seeing a race in person. You miss so much on TV, it's not even funny. Sometimes there are spins or great battles that the TV never shows. And there's nothing like the roar of the race cars going by you at speeds exceeding 140mph. For those of you that have gotten to do a driving or ride-along experience, you also know there's a big difference from watching the race and being in the cars. If you ever have the chance to do that, do it.

I've been to a number of Busch and Truck races at Nazareth and have seen the Cup cars practice and the Arca cars race at Pocono. I'm going to my first Cup race next weekend at Pocono, and am planning on going to Dover's Cup race next year. I'm excited, I've been a fan for so long, but just never gotten around to going to a Cup race. So I'm excited.

actually the best place to me Is one of the people at the track who decides what camara goes on tv at one time cause he can see what any camara can see at all points of the track

:p I foregot when at the race track you do miss something that only radio and tv can give you COMMERCIALS

You also miss some little things. I was at the inaugural Homestead race. It was as boring in person as it was on TV.

But 2 things made it memorable:

DE playing bumper tag with the pace car on the parade laps. *whomp* right in the ass end. hehehe

Dale Junior and crew and Dad celebrating the BGN championship riding up and down in the pickup truck.

Rusty doing a polish victory lap at Bristol, at night, with fireworks going off.....That is what racing is all about. You don't get to enjoy all that watching it on TV

Back
Top Bottom