Gordon to test F1 car

F

followthe18

From Jayki's:

F1 BMW Williams driver, Juan Pablo Montoya, is expected to try his hand at the American racing series, NASCAR, when he takes to the wheel of Jeff Gordon's #24 Dupont Chevy on the 12th of August. Meanwhile, Gordon, will take to the BMW Williams F1. Partly sponsored by BMW, Juan Pablo will return to the scene of the Brickyard's oval layout, where he won the Indy 500 back in the year 2000, while Gordon will lap the infield created for the Formula One series.

i think he should try it out and go over seas and race there a few years

hmm very interesting---whatever makes my jeffy happy. :)

I think it is interesting that Montoya would even give a stock car the time of day. I was under the impression that the open wheel guys, specifically CART and F1, thought very little of stock car drivers.

I doubt the JPM testing will mean anything.

However I wonder if Gordon racing in F1 will come to fruition. I highly doubt it, as he has no open wheel experience whatsoever, but it would be nice to have an American racing in F1.

I believe that if Jeff had not have jumped into NASCAR when he did and ended up running the IRL or CART that he would have ended up in a F1 car before it was all over. The talent is there, it's just the opportunity that never presented itself.

It still remains to be seen if the talent pertaining to open wheel cars is there. America's best (arguably) open wheel driver of the 80's and 90's got his butt kicked all over Europe in F1.

Exactly followthe18.

And, frankly, if anyone had the talent to be running in F1 they would already be running there.

And I'm not saying Gordon isn't talented, but Paul makes a good point. Those F1 salaries dwarf NASCAR's. If Gordon thought he could be there, I think he would have given it a shot already. And seeing Andretti flounder like he did, probably didn't help either.

He's definately one of the best NASCAR drivers of the last two decades but it's far too late in his career to start F1 now.

People dismiss F1 because the cars are "pointy" and "make funny sounds" and think it must be easy to run there because there's only 20 someodd cars in the field. If it were so easy to run in F1, alot more people would be in the series, and you would see close to 50 cars take the track, half of which are just filler cars anyway.

I should stop now...

Originally posted by followthe18
I think it is interesting that Montoya would even give a stock car the time of day.  I was under the impression that the open wheel guys, specifically CART and F1, thought very little of stock car drivers.

I know one of the CART drivers referred to Na$car as "a bucket of bolts".

Maybe Jeff wants to try a new ride in every avenue of his life.Change can be gooooooooood.:)

Schumaker thinks that IRL and CART are jokes, never mind what he thinks of NASCAR.

Well I think that Schumi is a joke. Put him in a BAR and lets see what he can do.

He think won a championship for Benneton. A far cry from Ferrari, Williams or BMW.

Followthe18 is exactly right.

He was a champion before he drove for Ferrari, with Benneton.

I have a question for you Paul. Why did Villeneuve leave Williams for BAR after he won the championship? I never understood that and I figured you might know...

At the end of 1997 Renault left F1, leaving Williams with Mecachrome V10 engines.

And in 1998 Williams failed to win a single race.

Oh, that makes sense. I liked him when he was in CART.

I think maybe Jeff needs to concentrate more on life-without-Ray and get his mind back on WC.Leave F1 to those qualified to be there.

Hey paul, sorry about all the NASCAR vs F1 stuff. I need to learn how to respect other people's opinions.

I think the "life without Ray" concern is old news. Been gone 3 years and he has won a championship without Ray already.

As far as F-1 goes. I am sure it is just for publicity. Jeff said he always wanted to drive one around, so now he will. Don't think he would ever leave Nascars big bucks for it though.

Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya to bring some attention to the U.S. Grand Prix at the Brickyard. The both will be runing a few laps around the track, but they will not be driving at full speed around the induvidual tracks.

I mean gosh, Jeff just wants to drive one, let him drive it. He's probably bored or something. ;)

I agree Gordon fan, the Ray news is old, old news. Been there, done that.

I thought I read that Schuey was the highest paid athelete in the world.

Well, lets clarify this and put it to bed. Gordon would not make near the money in F1 as he does here. He would not get all the endorsement money etc. I haven't seen the Schu in many commercials etc. That is all I meant. F1 would love to have a popular American driver, but Gordon won't be it.:D

Back
Top Bottom