Got me ridiculed back then........

D

DE Wrangler 2

And will probably get me ridiculed again.

Way back in the 60's and 70's when all this drug business was so prevailant in our society I was very much anti-drug.......I spoke out and was almost ostracized for it. Well I'm going to say something again.

I've seen several threads start out innocently about something that someone wanted to say and someone (actually just a very few someones) seem to think it's fun to put up some picture depicting drug use.......ha ha!! And the posts seem to come out of nowhere. Witness the thread "About Kat". I know I'm not the only one in this world that NEVER "experimented" with all those drugs that went on when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's but it sure seems that way......everyone just goes along with the "joke". Well I don't consider it a joke.......I find it offensive. I'm no prude and for the most part very open minded and tolerant.......but, just tonight there are two threads going in "Chit Chat" that are exhorting the use of drugs (either by implying it's "mind opening" or by it's just fun). It seems that about once or twice a week someone has to change the subject of a thread to something about drugs......why is that? Someone just the other day posted a thread about Hurajama (in my research for this post I forgot to go and look up the proper spelling of the man's name.....the Japanese driver attempting to run the Dover race this weekend) and mentioned the word "rice" in the title......boy did he get jumped!! All you people were so "offended" by the "racial remark"........but you let something, to me, that is at least as offensive just slid by.....even follow along with the "fun"!! Well, I'm offended but posts with pictures like this:

And this:

If I ripped my knickers with a few of you..........so be it.

Those pics didn't post so here they are one at a time

I may have not grown up with the drug culture as some of you have, but I still have a stand on it. I agree with DE 2. I don't want to hurt any feelings, but drugs are something I can not stand! I had to watch my dad ruin his life with drugs and alochol. I never did and never will want any part of that. I know these posts are suppost to be in fun, but cleaning up after him when I was 11 or 12 was not "fun". I don't push my views on anybody, and I don't bring up politics, or religion. I come on here to have fun, talk racing, and sit back and enjoy. So if I made anyone mad that's how the chips fall. I just don't see the fun in the pictures. If that's is funny to you so be it, but posting them on the board is everybody's business, or at least in my thoughts it is.

Those people are hurting themselves, if you view drugs as dangerous. However, using racial slurs hurts other people. I know you're smart enough to see the difference between smoking a joint and calling someone "rice".

When you go to a race, do you reprimand the people drinking beer?

I grew up with the drug culture of the 60s, but never indulged. No money and no opportunity. Probably not enough courage to go against my parents.

I do not condone drug use. However, I'm a realist. I know people make that choice, and I know that millions see nothing wrong with that choice.

Each person has to make the choice for themselves --- whether it's illegal drugs or even legal drugs, such as cigarettes or alcohol. I do find the photos distasteful, personally. But, I also find them a very sad commentary on the lives of the people indulging themselves. Actually, I think I find the photos more pitiful than sad. Certainly there is no humor in them for me.

Two words......What Sixties?

And kids? Take a tip from an old man. You really don't want to go there. The streets and prisons in our country are full of folks young and old who thought a bit of "fun" wouldn't hurt.

And parents? Take a tip from Carroll (Archie Bunker) O'Conner. "Get between your kids and drugs. Any way you can."

DE: I'm really sorry if I offended you with anything I may have said.

I do not advocate the use of hard drugs, and think young people should be shielded from ALL drugs, including alcohol and marijuana. If I had indulged in either when I was a student (even a college student), I'd have learned very little and would probably have gotten into lots of trouble along the way.

I did not grow up in a "drug culture". In fact, I led an extremely sheltered life for most of the last 30 something years. I did not hang out with people who did drugs but, in my mid to late 20s, did date a guy for way too long who was an alcoholic and a cocaine addict. I never, ever touched coke, but I've witnessed first hand what both of these substances can do to the human body -- and mind. It made him an awful person, one I'm glad to be rid of today.

As for marijuana, I will openly admit that I find it absurd that it is illegal, while a far more heinous drug -- alcohol -- remains legal. I think most people who perceive marijuana as a much bigger problem than alcohol feel that way precisely because they've never experienced it. It does not give you hangovers. It does not make you violent. It is not physically addictive. As for the gateway theory, I don't buy it. People who move on to destructive drugs such as cocaine and heroin are inherently troubled, and would have done so anyway. In my opinion, the single most destructive thing about marijuana is that buying and using it is illegal in this country, except in certain states (California included) that say it's suddenly okay for medicinal purposes. I find that extraordinarily hypocritical.

One last note: I did not post those photos, but simply made veiled allusions to a fellow adult. I will reiterate that I don't feel that ANYONE younger than legal drinking age should be doing drugs of any kind.

Sorry for the length of this rant, and sorry again if I have offended anyone else, but this is how I feel. I will not retract anything I've said here.

DE, I would like to offer a huge apology to you and any others who were upset or offended by that picture of the big joint. I only meant to be funny and I was wrong.

I first went out on my own in the '60s and was, for a few years, a "Flower Child" living on Beacon Hill in a total drug culture, but never used drugs of any kind myself. In fact, I never had my first taste of alcohol till I was 21.
I did try pot after my divorce, didn't like it and certainly do not advocate underage use of anything mind altering.
As abooja said, there are differing views on use of marijuana and I do have friends who indulge. I don't judge them. I have also way distanced myself from aquaintances who use hard drugs, and I never tried any of them, out of choice.
In closing, I again apologize and will NEVER post that or any other drug type picture again.

Okay......first let me say I asked for nor expected an apology from anyone. But I do thank you for them anyway.:)

Now.....perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I was a little miffed at the posts since it has happened before on several occassions, and from the title of the thread there's no indication that drugs are going to be subject (which, in all cases, that certainly was not the subject).......it's the "out of thin air" post that I find offensive. Not only offensive (I'm speaking for myself only here) but in extremely poor taste......and it's continued for several more posts as people who think it's funny jump in with their little drug jokes or comments. No thought is given to the fact that someone (me and, I'm sure, a few others) just might have a problem with chit chat of that nature (offense or any other aversion to the subject). I, personally, really don't care if any of you use or have used drugs, advocate the use of drugs, deal in drugs or not. I did not start this thread to discuss drugs......I started to tell some of you that I don't appreciate the innocent starting threads being changed to a thread to demonstrate your brand of humor concerning drugs.......I simply find it offensive and way out of line. Perhaps there could be a board created on this forum that allows the open discussion of drug use and humor......label it such and I would not go there.

Now for some direct answers to a couple questions posed to me. Paul you misunderstood why I mentioned the "I smell rice......and it drives a ford" thread. I was trying to point out that almost before any replies were made it seemed the whole board jumped the poster of that thread. All condemning his subject (which, by the way, I think I indicated that I too thought was offensive......but I seriously thought the subject was about something else entirely or I would have never even opened the post). The threads last night got into an offensive subject, but not one person offered any condemnation......it was a comparsion. Like I said, I was miffed last night when I wrote what I wrote......I didn't make myself clear.

The other question about do I reprimand beer drinkers at the races. The short answer to your question is: "No I don't". Without getting into a long discussion about drugs (be it legal or otherwise......cigarettes or alcohol) there are two reasons. First it's none of my business (remember, alcohol is legal). Second if someone wants to pay $6.00 for a twelve ounce bottle of Miller, Miller Light, or MGD (evidently Miller has the consession at California Speedway......you can't get a Budweiser there) then I figure they aren't smart enough to bother with anyway. But if I see someone drunk and causing problems near me or providing alcohol to minors then you can bet your butt I will say something.....to security, not them directly. I yes I do drunk beer and occassionally a good whiskey. But, I stay where I'm at when I do or arrange for transportation. I also smoke cigarettes but I don't blow my smoke in people's faces (actually I look for a smokers area so I don't have to worry about the non-smokers).....and I never offer cigarettes to people or expound upon any benefits of smoking. In other words I try not to offend.

With the exception of one poster so far to this thread I've heard a number of excuses or explanations about everyone's feeling about drug use........and I'm not going to expand much here. Everyone thinks that an occassional use of a little marijuana is no harm. Gee, everyone does it........no big deal. Problem is, it's not a legal drug (dispite anyone's belief that it's legal here in the state of California.......that is not true. It's a citation offense for 1 oz or less........jail for more. Medicinal purpose.......you better have a perscription and that perscription better be valid. You and the Dr who wrote it go to jail if is not a valid perscription. Don't come to California thinking it's legal......they are cracking down quit heavily on abuses). Causes no problems for me? Wrong, I have to pay for those police who are required (remember, it's illegal) to investigate, arrest, and provide evidence. The prosecutor has to prove it in court, and the jails have to house all those people. That is money that could be spent on something much more important. I don't want to hear the arguments that because of this cost to the public that marijuana should be legalized........change the law first before you start your using (not use first and then change the law). Is marijuana a gateway drug? I don't know.........I've heard it both ways. At the moment I fall on the side that it is......simply because so many marijuana users also use harder, more dangerous drugs (that is a fact as well as an observation). With this short explanation I am finished with my thoughts on drugs.......to each his own.

In my initial post, I stated the I'm open minded and tolerant. I just want to reiterate that.......I'm not mad or upset with anyone in particular. I just want some consideration for something I think is offensive. Some way that there is a tip off that the subject will be offensive so I don't go stumbling in and find it. There are threads that the title will give a hint of the possible subject and if I think it's going to something I don't like I simply don't open it. But to have an innocent sounding title and for the first few posts it follows along the titles apparent subject....then bang, out of nowhere, comes pictures or someone expounding the benefits of offensive material. That was the main point in my thread.

I'm not holding any ill feelings towards anyone......I enjoy posting and teasing and acting stupid with all of you. Thanks for wading through this.

Back
Top Bottom