Great Gordon Article

One of the greatest drivers NASCAR has ever seen. His early numbers were obscene, and he was competing against another great. The 'what ifs' for Gordon are amazing too. What if Evernham stayed? What if the chase format, with it's 10 track champion, never happened and he got the 2 he won on yearly points? He could be pushing for 10 championships before he was 40.

Jeff has a lot left. Earnhardt won 3 after turning 40, and I think Jeff could do even better.

One of the greatest drivers NASCAR has ever seen. His early numbers were obscene, and he was competing against another great. The 'what ifs' for Gordon are amazing too. What if Evernham stayed? What if the chase format, with it's 10 track champion, never happened and he got the 2 he won on yearly points? He could be pushing for 10 championships before he was 40.

Jeff has a lot left. Earnhardt won 3 after turning 40, and I think Jeff could do even better.

Yeah, I have thought about these what ifs often. I would love to see Jeff get one or two under the chase format. I just wonder where it would place him on the "all time greatest drivers" list...I truly think he is the only one that can ever have a true shot at contesting Earnhardt and Petty as all time greatest.

If he and Rey had stayed together the way Chad and Jimmie has..there probably wouldn't even be talk about "Chad and Jimmie." However I am really impressed with the Jeff/Alan Gustafson combo right now. I think they can really do great things together.

Yeah, I have thought about these what ifs often. I would love to see Jeff get one or two under the chase format. I just wonder where it would place him on the "all time greatest drivers" list...I truly think he is the only one that can ever have a true shot at contesting Earnhardt and Petty as all time greatest.

If he and Rey had stayed together the way Chad and Jimmie has..there probably wouldn't even be talk about "Chad and Jimmie." However I am really impressed with the Jeff/Alan Gustafson combo right now. I think they can really do great things together.

Would love to see Jeff win this year, and I think he will. He's so damned focused this year. I think having his crew stolen last year put some steam under his suit. I truely believe that JJ and Chad got more out of the 24/48 relationship than Jeff would ever get, and he was sick of it. I like JJ, and he's already one of the best ever. I just feel that a 10 track championship isn't equal to a full schedule champ. But it is what it is. NASCAR picked 10 tracks, 4 of which JJ was already owning.

Would love to see Jeff win this year, and I think he will. He's so damned focused this year. I think having his crew stolen last year put some steam under his suit. I truely believe that JJ and Chad got more out of the 24/48 relationship than Jeff would ever get, and he was sick of it. I like JJ, and he's already one of the best ever. I just feel that a 10 track championship isn't equal to a full schedule champ. But it is what it is. NASCAR picked 10 tracks, 4 of which JJ was already owning.

I like JJ as well. I have a lot of respect for him, Chad and what they have done. However, it is time someone knocks them off...would LOVE to see it be the 24!! lol

That picture of Jeff Gordon in the link sure brings back some memories. One of the first times I saw him was on Thursday Night Thunder when he and Rich Volger got together @ IRP. He was asked immediately after the wreck if he would confront Volger. Gordon just shook his head and said, " no, but I wish I would".

I think he definitely has a few wins still left in him.

And yeah - I was also a hater back in the day, even though he drove a chevy. Would be nice to see him make a run for the championship this year.

He won the 1st Pocono race this year.

Great article.

I am another one who didnt root for Jeff early on. I haver disliked any driver but I have a few I woldn't walk across the road to talk to. I have also warmed up to Jeff over the years.

Back
Top Bottom