Greatest IndyCar Driver Of Alltime

• Thread starter Restrictor Plate King!
  • Start date

Who Is The Best IndyCar Driver Of Alltime?

• A.J. Foyt

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Alex Zanardi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Al Unser

• Al Unser Jr

• Bobby Rahal

• Bobby Unser

• Danny Sullivan

• Dario Franchitti

• Emerson Fittipaldi

• Mark Donahue

• Mario Andretti

• Michael Andretti

• Rick Mears

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Sam Hornish Jr

• Sebastian Bourdais

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Restrictor Plate King!

K so we did this for NASCAR, how about Indy drivers. Who in everyone's opinion was the best?

Foyt.

And really, don't see how Sebastian Bourdais is in this list, but Jacques Villeneuve is not.

Wheldon doesn't get my vote, his body of work is to small for consideration.
But he deserves a mention. God rest his soul, he drove with the courage of a great.

That last green flag run, he drove his heart out, and forced the rookie error.

A.J from the roadsters to the rear engines, he was the best ever imo

So you mean all together greatest or Indy 500 legacy? Either way Foyt wins but all together greatest Mario is right behind as for the 500 Foyt wins that but as someone said I would give an honorable mention to Dan Wheldon.

Dan Wheldon impressive Indy 500 history

Wheldon 2003 - A fresh rookie to the brickyard running 5th flips over in the closing laps while having an amazing debut at Indy.

2004 - Wheldon leads 26 laps and finishes 3rd after losing a fuel mileage race to the rain.

2005 - Wheldon passes Danica in the closing laps for his 1st Indy 500 victory

2006 - Wheldon pretty much dominates all day until the last 20 laps he makes a pit stop and gets caught out when the yellow flag comes out. He still finishes in 3rd.

2007 - Run arounds 5th most of the day but falls back in the field after a pit stop and gets caught up in an accident and finishes a disapointing 22nd.

2008 - Qualified 2nd and took the lead in the opening laps and battled Dixon for the lead for much of the first half of the race and hung around the top 5 all day. Finishes back in 12th though.

2009 - Driving for the under funded Panther team at this point finishes in 2nd place in a race Castroneves dominated.

2010 - Once again driving for the under funded Panther team he starts towards the back to once again finish 2nd in a race dominated by Franchitti this time.

2011 - A one off ride with Sam Schmidt and Bryan Herta a team who never won a race. Runs in the top 5 in speed all month long. Runs most of the race inside the top 5 and after taking a late pit stop he passes Dixon and Kanaan but it looked as if he would finish 2nd yet again to rookie Hildebrand who was trying to win the race on fuel but in the final turn of the race he crashes and Wheldon slides by him for the win just before Hildebrand could limp his car accross the line.

Dan Wheldon's 9 year career he averaged a 6th place finish at Indy even considering crashing in two races he could of finished top 5 in.

Dan Wheldon I definitly wouldn't say is #1 all time but of the last decade I may say so.

Billy Vukovich deserves a mention too.

Long before my time, and anyone else's I suppose. But many know about his death while pursuing his 3rd consecutive Indy win in 1955.

Vukovich had a 17 second lead at the time of the wreck. It has been said that many drivers of that era believed that he was the best.

Gordon Johncock was a good one in my opinion.

The classic battle against Mears was great. He closed the door on Mears a few times, that may stand out most, it took nerves. Johncock won in 73, one of the most tragic May's ever, he knew the risk.

But in my opinion the quick entry in and out of the pits was the key moment.

A great drive

Back
Top Bottom