Green White Checkers

T

toddgee24

i think nascar needs to goto green white checkers with the new rule they have, DW brought this up during the telecast and i agree with him, he also said they need racing back to the line last lap, i also agree with this, leaders shouldnt be going through the danger zone at full speed they would be slowed by that time, i think these are two rules nascar needs to look at, any one recall a busch race last year where the caution wasnt thrown on a last lap wreck think it was kansas??

I'm all for the green/white/checkers finish. It works very well in the truck series .

I'm against racing when a dangerous condition exist regardless of it being on the last lap or the first lap.

There have been SEVERAL Busch races where NASCAR held the yellow flag until the leader crossed the start-finish line and then displayed it causing all kinds of confusion.

Hmmm...........let's see. We are the same group that called for no racing back to the flag during cautions. We got that rule. But boy are there some difficulties we never foresaw............and on what seemed to be a simple rule change. (Matt bringing out the caution a few weeks ago, pitting too soon, and then trying to lead a lap........or Jr's spin a at Bristol). On the surface, I could go along with either or both rule changes. But just because DW says he wants it, does not automatically make it a good change. And that rule about not scoring laps under yellow for the last 100 laps..........what about Pocono, Daytona, or Talladega? That is half or more of the entire race!! :blink:

I think g/w/c is good.. but i think the cation rule right now works.. even if nascar makes it all confusing almost every week. but while it is confusing it is a lot safer then the way it was before

Green, white, checkers is an accident waiting to happen. Throw the checkered flag away in this case and use the yellow, it is the only one the starter will need. It promotes a situation of Katie, bar the door, here come the wrecks and the only thing will happen once the green flies is another wreck with everybody from last to second trying to win the freaking race in the next two laps. Trouble is, there won't be a next two. There will be a caution flag.

G/W/C is a demolition derby in diguise. Does it really work in trucks or are trucks expendable ???

Racing back on the last lap ??? What do you want??? First the fans cry about safety now they want to race back to the finish on the last lap. A driver can get hurt just as easy on the last lap as any other.
NASCAR has done a good job of getting things straight with the holding of position when the caution flies, no need to change the rules. They work just as they are supposed to.

Now if you want to complain about some serious changes to benefit the sport, take away the "free pass rule" for the first car one lap down.

Once they do that, end ALL provosionals. Make the motto, 'go fast or go home". No champion provisional either. The problem is some guys don't know when it is time to hang up the helmet. If a top dog like Stewart or JGordon go home, tough nuggies. Guarantee next week they will be faster.

Originally posted by Whizzer@Apr 7 2004, 05:54 PM
Now if you want to complain about some serious changes to benefit the sport, take away the "free pass rule" for the first car one lap down.

Once they do that, end ALL provosionals. Make the motto, 'go fast or go home". No champion provisional either. The problem is some guys don't know when it is time to hang up the helmet. If a top dog like Stewart or JGordon go home, tough nuggies. Guarantee next week they will be faster.
Can't argue with most of what you said.........though I may differ slightly. But, you sure laid out some points to be considered. :cheers:

But, the part I'm quoting you on the "Lucky dog" pass and no provisionals will sure stir the fans up!! :D I could live with your suggestion, but I'm not sure many others could!! Just think, Kyle Petty, Darrell Waltrip, Richard Petty, and even my all time favorite would have missed quite a few races!! I think maybe allowing all teams to use one provisional and if they do wind up using one then they have to earn some minimum amount of points during the remainder of the season to get another.........and if it's too late in the season to earn the points for another, then tough nuggies!! And make it substainial...........say 180 points (equivalent to a win). I have no problems with the "Lucky dog" pass going away. :D

Ya know..............I've been thinking about this. NASCAR has a rule (well maybe not a rule but a policy) about this. It's called the final lap that will bring out the red flag............it appears to be about 5 laps short of the full, advertised lap count. Everyone knows what lap that is..........we don't need a Green White Checker rule!! :D :blink: :D :D

Better than taking the chance of wrecking like Whizzer pointed out. :cheers:

I agree, go fast or go home! I don't care who it is. I don't like the provisionals either.

I commend NASCAR for implementing the free pass(lucky dog pass) as it's made to compensate somewhat for lap down cars not being able to race back to the start/finish line and getting a lap back.I wouldn't mind seeing 2 drivers get the free pass with each caution.
Recall how sometimes 3 or 4 drivers would get Their lap back under the old gentlemen's agreement when They did race back to the line? ;)
Provisionals are needed to allow the top-name drivers make a race if They have a problem or whatever.It's these top drivers afterall that most fans pay to see. Jeff Gordon has only used 2 provisionals so why use Him in Ur example,there are quite a few other top drivers that would miss quite a few races and would've dissappointed fans. ;)
NASCAR has reduced the 7 provisional spots down to 5 spots,a move in the right direction IMHO.I wouldn't care to see less than 3 or 4 provisional spots. ;)
Overall,I think there has way too many changes in Nextel Cup already,yet more changes(ie. cut more spoiler,new tracks-delete old tracks) and etc. are coming.I'd rather see the current changes stuck with for awhle so as to better evaluate and then decide which is the best way to go with future plans,JMO ;)

For those Whom would like to see the provisionals abolished,ponder this:found at Jayski's site.

Provisonal Finishes in 2004: In 35 provisonal starts (7 races x 5),
drivers have accumulated: 0 Wins, 0 Top 5's and 1 Top 10's.

The drivers who have finished in the TOP 10 after using a provisional in 2004:
#24-Gordon, Daytona, 2/15, started 39th, finished 8th

The drivers who have finished in the TOP 5 after using a provisional in 2004:
none yet...

Provisional Starting Winners: Jeff Burton was the first driver to win from a provisional starting spot EVER at New Hampshire in 1999 and that is the farthest back any driver has won from since Kyle Petty won from 37th at Dover in June 1995(in 1995 37th was not a provisional starting spot). Bill Elliott also won from 38th spot in the 1988 Pepsi 400. In fact ALL the provisional starters for the race finished in the top 25 at NHIS(7-11-1999)
UPDATE: Add Bobby Labonte as the 2nd ever provisional winner by winning the 1999 NAPA 500 at Atlanta(11-21-1999)
UPDATE 2: Add Bobby Labonte as the 3rd ever provisional winner by winning the 2000 Southern 500 at Darlington(9-3-2000)
UPDATE 3: Add Elliott Sadler as the 4th ever provisional winner by winning the 2001 Food City 500 at Bristol(3-25-2001)
UPDATE 4: Add Ward Burton as the 5th ever provisional winner by winning the 2001 Southern 500 at Darlington(9-2-2001)
UPDATE 5: Add Bobby Labonte as the 6th ever provisional winner by winning the 2001 NAPA 500 at Atlanta(11-18-2001)
UPDATE 6: Add Jimmie Johnson as the 7th ever provisional winner by winning the 2003 Coca-Cola 600, Lowe's Motor Speedway(5-25-2003)

Amazing Finishes: Races won from a starting position of 35 or worse in the history of NASCAR
Started - Driver; Race
43rd - Johnny Mantz; 1950 Southern 500, Darlington
43rd - Fonty Flock; 1953 Raliegh, NC
39th - Bobby Labonte - provisional; 2001 NAPA 500, Atlanta
38th - Elliott Salder - provisional; 2001 Food City 500, Bristol
38th - Jeff Burton - provisional; 1999 Jiffy Lube 300, Loudon
38th - Bill Elliott; 1988 Firecracker 400, Daytona
37th - Jimmie Johnson - provisional; 2003 Coca-Cola 600, Lowe's Motor Speedway
37th - Ward Burton - provisional; 2001 Southern 500, Darlington
37th - Bobby Labonte - provisional; 2000 Southern 500, Darlington
37th - Bobby Labonte - provisional; 1999 NAPA 500, Atlanta
37th - Kyle Petty; 1995 Miller 500, Dover
37th - Lee Petty; 1959 Lakewood Speedway, Atl, GA
36th - Jeff Gordon; 2000 Diehard 500, Talladega;
36th - Kurt Busch; 2002 Old Dominion 500, Martinsville;
35th - Dale Earnhardt; 2000 Cracker Barrel 500, Atlanta;
NOTE: these are using Official starting spots, not if a driver has to fall to the back of the field using a backup or because of an engine change

I love the idea of green/white/checker.It works great in the truck series.

Back
Top Bottom