Hall of Fame Ceremony tonight

Looking forward to it

I just can believe one of my childhood hero's is going to be in the Hall of Fame.... where did the time go. Seems like just 10 minutes ago I was watching Jeff win 13 races in 98 or being heartbroken he got taken out in the 14 Playoffs.

"The Vince Lombardi of racing."

Man that is a great comparison because everything Penske touched has been successful in just about any business venture on and off of the track.

Amazing and more than well deserved.

Damn it I cried....It was an incredible honor being a fan of that guy from when I was in 3rd grade his rookie year all the way through adult hood. You almost feel a part of the journey, hell I cheered for a kid when I was a kid. I miss watching that dude race every week, it will never be the same. All you can do is say Thank You....and Jeff Gordon will always be my favorite race car driver.

Just left the ceremony. Awesome night! I didn't take a ton of photos but I'll post what I got when I get a chance. Was surprised I didn't see JJ or Jr there. Unless they showed them on TV? Ran into Larry Mac, Mikey, Mike Joy, Byron, Knaus, Menard, Helton, Ricky Taylor, and Marty Smith in the little gathering area after it let out. Was a who's who of the racing world, good stuff.

Damn it I cried....It was an incredible honor being a fan of that guy from when I was in 3rd grade his rookie year all the way through adult hood. You almost feel a part of the journey, hell I cheered for a kid when I was a kid. I miss watching that dude race every week, it will never be the same. All you can do is say Thank You....and Jeff Gordon will always be my favorite race car driver.

Feel the same way and it's neat to see the same sentiments from others 25 years later on the internet. Really cool.

Just left the ceremony. Awesome night! I didn't take a ton of photos but I'll post what I got when I get a chance. Was surprised I didn't see JJ or Jr there. Unless they showed them on TV? Ran into Larry Mac, Mikey, Mike Joy, Byron, Knaus, Menard, Helton, Ricky Taylor, and Marty Smith in the little gathering area after it let out. Was a who's who of the racing world, good stuff.

Rodney Sandstorm was there? Sweet!

No they weren't there as far as the TV could tell. JJ was testing in Vegas so that may be something.

Very cool night though. Awesome you could be a part of it.

Rodney Sandstorm was there? Sweet!

No they weren't there as far as the TV could tell. JJ was testing in Vegas so that may be something.

Very cool night though. Awesome you could be a part of it.
Yeah none of the other HMS (and ex) guys were there besides Byron from what I saw. Kahne...Chase...Bowman. Kind of strange but you can't seat everyone I suppose. I really expected JJ to make the effort to get back there for his buddy like Brad and Joey managed to do.

I met him in 1975 at Myrtle Beach Speedway when he came to run a latemodel sportsman race the night before the Southern 500 in Darlington SC. My dad took me and my brother to the track early before all the fans showed up for the race. Back then the pit gates were open and they let fans go in to the pits to get autographs and meet the drivers, I knew who this man was because we had seen him race at Myrtle beach Speedway many times before and knew he was one of the best in racing. After he unloaded his car from the open trailer he fired the engine and was going to take the car around the track and bring it to the scales to be weighed, I was standing right beside the car when he looked at me and asked if I wanted to take a ride around the track! Imagine that! I was all of 13 years old and climbed in to the Coca Cola Chevrolet with Bobby Allison who took me on a slow ride around the track.That was it, I was done and forever a Bobby Allison fan. He asked me if i was going to Darlington the next day and I told him yes I was, he said if he won he would wave at me. I was sitting on the backstretch going in to turn 3 and watched Bobby win the Southern 500, I was beside myself with joy and then I watched him come down the back straight at Darlington with his arm out the window waving like crazy!( I know he was waving at everyone but to me he was waving at me) I was forever hooked. I got into racing with my brother who ran dirt in the early 80's then met Charles Powell III who was a local hot shoe in the South and that began my racing career.We won races all over the Southeast and he taught me things most people in racing didnt know. From there I went to the Dash series with him, All Pro Series then I moved on to the Hooters Pro Cup Series, Trucks and then in to the Cup Series. It was a dream come true. Its been a long journey, I lived it and loved it, you had to be there.

I met him in 1975 at Myrtle Beach Speedway when he came to run a latemodel sportsman race the night before the Southern 500 in Darlington SC. My dad took me and my brother to the track early before all the fans showed up for the race. Back then the pit gates were open and they let fans go in to the pits to get autographs and meet the drivers, I knew who this man was because we had seen him race at Myrtle beach Speedway many times before and knew he was one of the best in racing. After he unloaded his car from the open trailer he fired the engine and was going to take the car around the track and bring it to the scales to be weighed, I was standing right beside the car when he looked at me and asked if I wanted to take a ride around the track! Imagine that! I was all of 13 years old and climbed in to the Coca Cola Chevrolet with Bobby Allison who took me on a slow ride around the track.That was it, I was done and forever a Bobby Allison fan. He asked me if i was going to Darlington the next day and I told him yes I was, he said if he won he would wave at me. I was sitting on the backstretch going in to turn 3 and watched Bobby win the Southern 500, I was beside myself with joy and then I watched him come down the back straight at Darlington with his arm out the window waving like crazy!( I know he was waving at everyone but to me he was waving at me) I was forever hooked. I got into racing with my brother who ran dirt in the early 80's then met Charles Powell III who was a local hot shoe in the South and that began my racing career.We won races all over the Southeast and he taught me things most people in racing didnt know. From there I went to the Dash series with him, All Pro Series then I moved on to the Hooters Pro Cup Series, Trucks and then in to the Cup Series. It was a dream come true. Its been a long journey, I lived it and loved it, you had to be there.
Cool story you got to meet your hero!

Awesome to see Allison, Gordon and Martin get inducted. These were the guys I grew up with watching. To see their careers come full circle with HOF enshrinement really makes me feel old. Gordon seemed like he would be in his 20s forever in the mid to late 90's....

I guess I should have said why I felt the need to write this. Its because of Davey and his induction into the HOF. I got to know Davey while racing in the Southeast and I saw his desire, his comittment and his ability like his father. He was a great racer and on top of that, he was true ambassador of the sport. He loved it and he loved the fans and we miss him terribly.

Awesome to see Allison, Gordon and Martin get inducted. These were the guys I grew up with watching. To see their careers come full circle with HOF enshrinement really makes me feel old. Gordon seemed like he would be in his 20s forever in the mid to late 90's....
It’s unreal to me he’s almost 50! 50! He was winning races and winning championships against an established driver base where some of those guys were old enough to be his father. If you think about it, he’s the same age now that Dale Earnhardt was when we lost him in 2001. That’s incredible to me, and he still looks like he could pass for his early 40’s. Growing up watching Gordon like I did in his zenith, you think he’ll be in his 20’s forever, when they showed the highlight video right before his speech I could tell you in each clip where I was and who I was watching that race with....it all went by incredibly fast.

Dang it, I missed the first half and don't see any rebroadcast. Does anyone know if the ceremony is available anywhere to view?

Dang it, I missed the first half and don't see any rebroadcast. Does anyone know if the ceremony is available anywhere to view?
You can YouTube the individual driver speech you want to see. If I may make a recommendation, if you only watch one watch Roger Penske’s. The epitome of class, success, hard work and dedication. I was blown away watching it live on TV

Youtube:
LIVE: 2019 NASCAR Hall of Fame Red Carpet Show
Yes, I saw this, I was looking for the actual induction speeches, not the pre show.

You can YouTube the individual driver speech you want to see. If I may make a recommendation, if you only watch one watch Roger Penske’s. The epitome of class, success, hard work and dedication. I was blown away watching it live on TV

Call me youtube search challenged, but for Alan Kulwicki I could only find a brief 2 minute clip.
Yes, I did get to see Penske and Gordon.

As classy as Jeff Gordon was in giving his acceptance speech, when he started crying after finishing up I thought to myself, somewhere Dale Earnhardt is laughing his ass off.

All in all it was good stuff.

I did, But the best part was years later when I was spottting for Jimmy Spencer I got to tell Bobby that story in person and he hugged me and said he wished he remembered it but as long as I did thats what matters to him. I cant tell you how remarkable that man is.

Bobby Allisons story is unlike any other in all of motorsports. One of the most phenomenal human beings ever in my opinion. I would suggest to any of you, read his autobiography if you have the chance. You will also have a new found respect for Mr. Roger Penske. Both men are a cut above.

Back
Top Bottom