Hall of Fame Voting

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Thoughts....

I struggle with HOF's generally. Hard for me to get my head around who deserves to be considered great and who doesn't. Discussions that give credit or discredit a guy's career are really rough--especially if the guy is no longer with us. I feel this way regardless of sport. The NASCAR HOF has really put a microscope on the processes used to determine greatness. What are the qualifications for being on the voting panel. Does anybody even know? Would Moody be the first guy in your mind to be considered an expert in this sport? Frankly, we all have a HOF in our minds--and there is nothing wrong with that.

I struggle with HOF's generally. Hard for me to get my head around who deserves to be considered great and who doesn't. Discussions that give credit or discredit a guy's career are really rough--especially if the guy is no longer with us. I feel this way regardless of sport. The NASCAR HOF has really put a microscope on the processes used to determine greatness. What are the qualifications for being on the voting panel. Does anybody even know? Would Moody be the first guy in your mind to be considered an expert in this sport? Frankly, we all have a HOF in our minds--and there is nothing wrong with that.
I know you're not a Moody fan by any means but yeah, 35 years broadcasting the sport, interviewing drivers, attending almost every race over that time period witnessing many of the drivers capabilities first-hand..... I think he's pretty qualified to render his opinion in the process.

I know you're not a Moody fan by any means but yeah, 35 years broadcasting the sport, interviewing drivers, attending almost every race over that time period witnessing many of the drivers capabilities first-hand..... I think he's pretty qualified to render his opinion in the process.

Fair enough....Just wish he would can the annual dissertation about the process which only highlights his significance in that process. I felt that his show encouraging callers to lobby for drivers they felt deserving was unprofessional and childish. Kind of like a kid shunned in elementary school paying back the world. How did he get on the panel? How does that work?

The downside of this is that when you get to know these people too well, your objectivity sometimes suffers.

Fair enough....Just wish he would can the annual dissertation about the process which only highlights his significance in that process. I felt that his show encouraging callers to lobby for drivers they felt deserving was unprofessional and childish. Kind of like a kid shunned in elementary school paying back the world. How did he get on the panel? How does that work?
I don't listen anymore. Got rid of Sirius about a year or so ago. From what I remember of him doing that, hearing fans opinions on his show weren't much different that reading them on here. I'm also guessing that he looks proudly on his being part of the process. I know I would if it were me and I can only guess you would to if you were selected to be on that committee. As to how they get to be part of that board..... I don't have a clue who selects them. When I do look at that list, I do wonder about some of the other names on there and why they would have been selected but it really doesn't matter that much as they are getting people in there that seem to be deserving IMO.

I still hope to get there some day to see everything. Might have to hit a future All-Star race and take it all in then.

The downside of this is that when you get to know these people too well, your objectivity sometimes suffers.
I'd guess that's why it takes more than one person's vote to get someone in there. We all have opinions. Everyone has favorites. Human nature. I think I'd rather have people in there that actually can vote with knowledge on their side.

I'd guess that's why it takes more than one person's vote to get someone in there. We all have opinions. Everyone has favorites. Human nature. I think I'd rather have people in there that actually can vote with knowledge on their side.

You can have a lot of knowledge without being personally connected to them.

Wow, a little surprised at Davey getting in already. I'm glad his father got to see it though.

Gordon not getting 100% is a joke!

I mean it's extremely clear that Jeff Gordon is what the definition of Hall of Fame is but probably those people whoever they are felt like it was too soon and Jeff is so young that he'll clearly have a significant amount of time to be voted in anyway

If I had to guess it was probably people who voted for RP and Earnhardt and since they ended up not being unanimous either, they wanted to spoil the show for those that voted for Jeff.

Moody hiccups France.

Really surprised 2 people didnt vote for Jeff, I guess they were of the thought of if Petty and Earnhardt weren't he should be either.

A strong class imo. Penske would have been #5 imo, not Kukwucki or Allison they are more solid imo.

There should not be a HoF if Kukwucki isn't Hall of Fame material.

He was a genius and old school, as true grit as it could ever be.
The close of 1992, down the final 8 or 9 races it is one of the most incredible stories ever. You can't create better fiction or a fantasy than that story.
Anybody that saw it and took it in is fortunate. It was pure greatness.

Good group got in. I am good with all of them.

Interesting note, When the VP of marketing and development, was giving the opening speech thanking their NASCAR broadcast partners, they did not mention FOX at all o_O, kinda thought that was weird and I am guessing FOX will not be too happy either.

I'm not surprised, Davey was special and I'm glad Bobby got to see it too.
Oh I agree he was special, my dad rooted for him so I know all about him, but it seems like more of a "what he could have been" vote than anything else. He would've gotten in eventually, it just seems too soon for me personally.

Bobby Labonte would have been my vote.

Simply put growing up in Chicago area, Michael Jordan was my childhood hero. But Jeff Gordon was a damn close second. I don’t care he wasnt unanimous, that’s for others to worry about. It’s surreal to see someone I cheered for through grade school, high school, college and finally adult hood make into a hall of fame, I was invested man. A bad day at the track for Jeff would ruin my day for me, even when in 2014 I was 29 years old when Kez went for that “open” hole and ruined Jeff’s last real chance at a championship, I was in tears. Dip$hit. 1998 ( I think) , when Rusty punted the 24 at Richmond I was pissed but elated when Jeff got him back at Bristol in 02 to win the Sharpie 500. So many memories of cheering for the guy on Sundays with my family, I’m glad JG is in it was a true honor being a fan of his. 1998 will always be awesome watching him win 13 but 2014 was awesome too because I enjoyed it as an adult. The 97 Winston Million/Southern 500 win still gives me goosebumps. There was also a lot of heartbreak, I never thought he’d win his last championship in 2001.Never. Thanks Chase, Playoffs, Playoff Grid or whatever other bastardized way they use to crown a champion. The good times outweigh the bad times though, not even close. To me there’ll never be another Gordon, while I was and am a fan of others (Schumacher, Dale Sr, Dale Jr, Tony Stewart, Chase Elliott,Bill Elliott, Sebastian Vettel to name a few) JG is my all time favorite race car driver. The time watching him during his career went fast but what a journey it was. When people ask me who my favorite race car driver is for the rest of my life , I’ll always say Jeff Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom