Happy at Home

tkj24

Team Owner
"I finally got that monkey off my back," said Greeneville’s Allen Johnson after posting his winning his first round win in a national event Sunday at Bristol Dragway.

"They keep reminding me that I have never won a round here," said Johnson, who eventually lost in the quarterfinals. ``Now they can’t do that anymore."

With Bristol serving as his home track, Johnson admitted there was always a little more pressure when they come home.

"There are a lot of people here and folks to attend to, but we enjoy it," said Johnson, who has two sixth place finishes in NHRA POWERade points. "A lot of people that help you throughout the year, it gives them a chance to enjoy what you do."

The Greeneville driver, currently fifth in Pro Stock points, has now qualified sixth or better in 10 of this year’s 12 events.

We didn’t have the weekend we were hoping for but we’re happy,’’ Johnson said. ``I had DNQ’d [disqualified] more than I had won rounds at Bristol.

"Now we’ll go to the western swing [Denver, Seattle, and Sonoma] with a little confidence, feeling good and maybe go out there and win one."

Johnson said it was definitely a victory for the team to put both cars in the field. Although they failed to move past that first round, he is delighted to have his dad back from his heart attack as they continue to work as a team.

Johnson’s father Roy suffered a heart attack in February while the team was racing in Phoenix. Roy was back in the shop less that a week later doing what he does best, building engines for his son and Ritchie Stevens.

"I’m just glad that I am here enjoying the day and doing what I love to do,’’ Roy Johnson said. "There were a couple of days nothing got done (at the shop). When I got home Tuesday night, I organized things and Wednesday morning I was back hard at work."

Roy said both he and Allen had won races at Bristol in the Sportsman ranks, Roy winning in 1973 while his son collected a victory in 1983, yet they were still winless in Pro Stock at Bristol over the past six years until Sunday.

"We finally got two rounds here," Roy Johnson said. "I don’t know how many times we have missed qualifying here. So just to qualify both cars that well [sixth and seventh] is a win for us. Its a little momentum and we’ll go forward from here."

The younger Johnson said his dad was fortunate to get the stint put in his heart while he was hospitalized in Phoenix and not suffer any major damage allowing the duo to continue to work together as a team.

"It’s awesome," said Johnson of the opportunity to work with his dad. "Not many people get the opportunity we’re having. We share a dream, and we’re living it and enjoy it. If it stops tomorrow, we’ve had a good one."

Back
Top Bottom