Happy Birthday Louise!!!

H

HardScrabble

One of the first ladies of NASCAR, and perhaps deserving of a spot whenever NASCAR legends are discussed.

Two quotes and a little history:

"I won a lot, crashed a lot, and broke just about every bone in my body, but I gave it everything I had"

"Sometimes it seemed like the more you drove the less money you had. I remember one time Buck Baker and Lee Petty and I had to put our money together just to split a hot dog and a Coke."

·
· she was born in 1916 in Barnsville Georgia, when women were not considered equal to men
· when she was four she moved to Greenville, South Carolina
· when she decided to learn to drive she ended up crashing the car into the chicken house
· she wanted to succeeded in a sport where women were not allowed
· she raced in the first stock car race she ever saw; and ran modifieds from 1946-1956
· Louise met Bill France before he created NASCAR.
· Louise helped Bill France Sr. promote NASCAR races in there early years because she was a novelty in the sport
· She had a hard charging, fearless style of driving and because of that she was a fan favourite.
· In her first race she finished third in a 1939 modified Ford coupe and after that experience Louise was hooked on racing.
· She raced for the love of the sport.
· During her eleven years of modifieds she won 38 races.
· Louise is remembered for her spectacular crashes and aggressive driving.
· She ended off with 48 stitches and four pins in her left knee after a crash that nearly took her life at Hillsborough.
· In 1956 she quit racing but in 1971 she returned to sponsor cars.
· her first Winston Cup race was a 166-mile race in Daytona where she finished 20th in a Ford after surviving a roll over
· she raced later at Hillsborough, North Carolina placing 27th
· and then again she raced in Langhorne Pennsylvania where she finished 16th
· She currently lives in Greenville, South Carolina
· She was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1999.

TRL,You are up way to late,Get your self in the rack,I need someone to keep me company at the office Thursday.:p

Thank you HS, I needed another history lesson, seriously.

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Back
Top Bottom