Harvick killing RCR?

P

Parkfan

After being bashed by all the RCR and DEI fans when I wrote something kind of similar about Harvick after the Infineon deal, I thought I would post someone else's opinion.
RCR's 29 Problems
by Steve Nash-Staff Writer
07/02/2003

Driver of the 29 RCR's problem?
Who knew that Dale, Jr. was a foreseer of future events? Back in Daytona for Speedweeks in February, Jr. qualified second to Jeff Green's pole spot for the Daytona 500. After he had been knocked off, he came out being ticked off. About losing the pole spot for the most prestigious race? Nope, he was ticked off about Richard Childress Racing.

The fact that Jr. drives for Dale Earnhardt, Inc. shouldn't have given any discredit to his claims that RCR was in chaos. Jeff Green counterclaimed that Jr. was full of chicken feces, and he couldn't have been more wrong.

Well, move forward to May, and Jeff Green is spun out by teammate Kevin Harvick during the Pontiac Excitement 400 at Richmond. After his #30 AOL Chevy was punted in the wall, Green angrily confronted Harvick's crew chief, Todd Berrier, and their owner, Richard Childress himself.

The very next Monday, Green was let go by RCR. He quickly found a spot at, lo and behold, DEI. The same man he had angrily called a bad name was now his teammate.

But something seemed amiss at RCR. The teammates never seemed to work together, as Dale Jr. said, and they were, in Dale Jr.'s words, disgracing Richard Childress and the legacy of the team.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, at the Infineon Raceway. Robby Gordon and Kevin Harvick, the same Kevin Harvick, get together. Gordon then passes, legally, his teammate before the caution stripe to gain a spot, and goes on to win the Dodge/Save Mart 350.

After the race, Harvick is quite livid. He calls Gordon's move "chicken", and goes on to say that Gordon isn't too good of a teammate, and that things will come back to Gordon.

RCR had just finished first and third in a Winston Cup event, two of their drivers are in the top 15 in points, it was RCR's first win since Chicago in July of '02...and all teammates can talk about is how wrong each other is?

Wherever the problem began is a mystery. Just remember that in 2001, when Dale Earnhardt, the soul of RCR, died at Daytona and the fresh young talent of Kevin Harvick came in, RCR was in peril. But it banded together and Harvick finished 9th in points with two wins, even though he had missed the first race.

But lost in the euphoria, is that Mike Skinner lost his ride in a bizarre state of affairs. The 31 car had never run too well with Skinner, but he was let go after being injured in the Chicago race. Robby Gordon, who had a big run-in with Harvick earlier in the year at, ironically, Sears Point (now Infineon), as Harvick was a lapped car and Gordon was racing for the win, was hired to become the new driver of the 31.

Gordon won at New Hampshire, the final race of the year, and RCR was all giddy about it's 2002 season approaching.

Instead, RCR suffered it's worst year since it was just Richard Childress driving the car. Jeff Green, who had been hired to drive a third car, Harvick and Gordon didn't do squat all year. Harvick's lone win at Chicago was the only bright spot for the team, and nobody ran well.

The garage knows all however, and Jr. had to have picked up on some of the reasons of the squabbling. Remember that Harvick had goofed up during a Truck Series race at Martinsville in April of '02, and got suspended for the Winston Cup race the next day.

Is the problem, then, Kevin Harvick? He came into RCR telling people he was not Dale Earnhardt, but ended the year, 2001, trying to rough anyone and everyone he could. That continued into 2002, when he finally calmed down a bit after NASCAR parked him.

But has the ego gotten to Harvick and caused a riff at RCR? Every teammate that Harvick's had, he's never truly acted as a teammate to. And two of them, Green and Skinner, have been fired. Of course, he and Gordon aren't best friends, but shouldn't they act as teammates?

If the problem is Harvick, how does RC address the issue? Harvick is RCR's best driver, but he runs too inconsistently to be a championship contender. Robby Gordon only runs good every now and then, and Steve Park hasn't run well since 2001.

But there is a problem. It's eating RCR up, and it's hurting the team's performance. The other main Chevrolet teams couldn't run bad if they only had one tire on the car, and there was no gas in the tank. Hendrick is 2nd in points, DEI is 3rd, and Joe Gibbs is 4th. RCR does have the 9th place man in points, but Harvick hasn't exactly scored a lot of good solid runs this year.

They are starting to rebuild after just a horrible 2002 season, but having these internal problems will only cause any efforts they've made to progress to degress into the point of having to rebuild all over again.

Something is wrong at RCR, and that something has to be fixed. And maybe the main driver of RCR is the person they should start with.

That's pretty harsh on Kevin, IMO. Not saying that he isn't at fault to a degree, but have you ever listened to Robby on the scanner during a race? He whines worse than a 12 year old girl. Having him as my teammate would be enough to send me over the edge.

Originally posted by DeeDee@Jul 2 2003, 02:45 PM
That's pretty harsh on Kevin, IMO. Not saying that he isn't at fault to a degree, but have you ever listened to Robby on the scanner during a race? He whines worse than a 12 year old girl. Having him as my teammate would be enough to send me over the edge.
Kevin is just as bad, and I know this for a fact. Which driver doesnt whine? They all do.

I have this to say though:

Kevin has gone through 2 teammates.
Kevin has gone through 3 crew cheifs.
All this in two years.
And he is still not happy.

In my opinion Kevin is better suited in a single car operation.

Well, the favorite driver of the guy who started this thread isnt doing too well. At least Kevin has 3 wins and Green doesnt. Maybe its Green that should be fired from DEI. ^_^

I dont think that Harvick is doing anything. If hes doing anything he is improving it. I dont get some people... :wacko:

Within in two years, either Robby or Kevin will be gone for sure. Both think they are bigger than the team; guess what this is a team sport. Anybody know when their contracts are up?

Originally posted by redrock@Jul 2 2003, 07:29 PM
Within in two years, either Robby or Kevin will be gone for sure. Both think they are bigger than the team; guess what this is a team sport. Anybody know when their contracts are up?
That could be true. But RC had a lot of faith in Dale sr. And he picked Harvick out to drive a car. So I would say Robby would be gone. But who knows things can change.

I think I said this in another thread, but RC has a better working relationship with Robby than Kevin. RC still has emotional ties to the 29 car, but in x number of starts for each driver both are basically equal in their average finish.

My opinion: both stay.

Park will definetely be out by the end of September or October if he continues on this streak. Heres the question I ask you: Why would RCR want to cut it's best driver? Thats like the Cavaliers releasing Lebron James.

Originally posted by Happy29@Jul 2 2003, 03:50 PM
Park will definetely be out by the end of September or October if he continues on this streak. Heres the question I ask you: Why would RCR want to cut it's best driver? Thats like the Cavaliers releasing Lebron James.
Its been done before, if the best driver/player has an ego the size of Jupiter and doesnt work well with his teammates. Remember, the Cavs were looking to trade Ricky Davis, who was easily their best player last season.

Well, I defend Robby for that yellow-flag pass and this is what I get. :huh:

Firstly, Robby G, I have not seen or heard Kevin Harvick speak out this year or piss off anyone so I can say he's changed and matured. Jeff Green for basically bitching at Harvick's crew chief even though it was an accident, I mean now that is an Ego problem but Kevin Harvick just trying to be a politically correct driver just like anyone else isnt an ego problem.

Originally posted by Happy29@Jul 2 2003, 04:01 PM
Well, I defend Robby for that yellow-flag pass and this is what I get. :huh:

Firstly, Robby G, I have not seen or heard Kevin Harvick speak out this year or piss off anyone so I can say he's changed and matured. Jeff Green for basically bitching at Harvick's crew chief even though it was an accident, I mean now that is an Ego problem but Kevin Harvick just trying to be a politically correct driver just like anyone else isnt an ego problem.
Im not accusing of Harvick having a big ego bro, Im just saying that the best driver/player on a team is always available and/or open to be fired (unless his last name is Earnhardt :p ) regardless. Im not defending Green in any way, Im just saying that give him time to show what he has to prove in the #1 car. He was wrong for what he did at Richmond(?) and I support what RC did, if anything I think Green wanted himself out of there more than anything.

Lets face it, its not always going to be a love-knit family/team. Look at Roush with Busch and Biffle. Those two have had run ins together and dont get along but they co-exist. Harvick and Robby will be fine.

One thing fans have to realize, every driver out there has an ego the size of Texas. Some keep it under wraps better than others.

Robby and Kevin are cut out of the same cloth. They are both hot-tempered and have the burning desire to win.

I think most team owners would give a lot to have the same kind of talent in their cars.

I also think RC will get a handle on it, too.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Jul 2 2003, 01:57 PM

Which driver doesnt whine? They all do.

somehow I just can't see Sterlin Marlin whining.

Back
Top Bottom