Harvick steps into new realm..

S

slick-nick

In yet another sign of NASCAR going mainstream, one of its top drivers is about to get involved in the type of business deal that long ago became a staple of traditional stick-and-ball sports: the shoe endorsement.

Driver Kevin Harvick, who won the 2001 rookie of the year and last year's Brickyard 400, is endorsing a new line of sneakers from Lugz, a boot and shoe company looking to expand beyond its mostly "urban-based" clientele. The new shoes go on sale in July.

Harvick says a shoe endorsement deal is "definitely something that I never thought I would have, for sure. You look at a Michael Jordan or a Shaquille O'Neal or a Kobe Bryant or somebody like that and, you're right, it is something of a status symbol."

As NASCAR's marketing reach has expanded beyond its Southeastern roots in recent years, drivers and teams have expanded beyond traditional motor oil, fast food and beer sponsorships. Dale Earnhardt Jr. has an endorsement deal with Drakkar cologne, and Rusty Wallace endorses Callaway golf clubs.

"It's definitely a non-traditional sponsorship," Harvick, currently 11th in the Nextel Cup points race, says of his shoe deal. "It's not anything that anybody ever thought would be on a car, and it's a totally different market than anything around here is used to going for."

The shoes won't actually be named after Harvick — they're called "Rally" — but the company is calling them "Harvick-inspired." The Lugz logo appears on Harvick's No. 29 race car, and Harvick also will appear in the company's TV commercials and in-store displays. Harvick says Lugz might eventually make fire-resistant driving shoes for competition.

The sneaker Harvick will be endorsing is meant for casual wear and not for playing sports. But that's appropriate for Harvick who, while being in good shape, acknowledges that he isn't much of a workout fiend.

"My workout is (being) in the car too much," he says.

Web Link

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'll be buying a new pair of shoes come July! :) Way to go, Kevin!!

Who in the heck sees a driver's shoes anyway?

I realize reality left this topic years ago, but I remember when the idea behind an athlete promoting a shoe was that the shoe allegedly made him a better athlete. i.e. Air Jordan's allegedly made him (and therefore would make you) a better jumper. Bo Jackson's "cross trainers" helped Bo train for every type of sport he competed in.

Kevin could drive a car in pumps and it wouldn't make much difference. :unsure:

I think it was Ricky Rudd that almost saw Harvick's foot right up his %@*! last year? :p

Originally posted by redrock@Mar 23 2004, 04:15 PM
I think it was Ricky Rudd that almost saw Harvick's foot right up his %@*! last year? :p
You got that right!!

Maybe a brand of shoes that them people that wear their pants down to their knees don't wear would be a good idea.

I'll absolutely have to get me a pair of them Slugz shoes and see how far up their spokesman's keister one will go.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 23 2004, 03:50 PM
I'll absolutely have to get me a pair of them Slugz shoes and see how far up their spokesman's keister one will go.
Won't they be too big for your paws, EMP? ;) B)

Originally posted by nascarwoman+Mar 23 2004, 04:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nascarwoman @ Mar 23 2004, 04:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--EatMorePossum@Mar 23 2004, 03:50 PM
Won't they be too big for your paws, EMP? ;) B) [/b][/quote]
I'll manage.

Eating to many Possums will give you a buzz. Makes you say crazy things.
:lol:

I think it's great..........get the drivers out there for more people to see and maybe they will tune in on Sunday!! :D Or maybe Lutz shoes will get seen by more redneck race fans!! I've never heard of Lutz shoes myself! See? It's working!! :D

Originally posted by millermagic@Mar 23 2004, 04:19 PM
Maybe a brand of shoes that them people that wear their pants down to their knees don't wear would be a good idea.
Im going to try hard to ignore this comment... <_<

Back
Top Bottom