Has the time come to do away with the Yellow Line "rule"?

Old 97

Team Owner
I'll admit that I haven't been a fan of this judgement call since day one.
If memory serves me right it was Rudd complaining about Gordon that got us in this mess to begin with.

Has this "rule" worked?
Have there been less wrecks at Daytona and Talladega since it's institution?

They only use the "rule" for and against specific case by case drivers. Hamlin gets a pass...

No, keep the rule or you'll have a funnel going into 1 and 3. Change the rule to read out of bounds rule is exempt coming to the checkered flag from exit of turn 4 ( Track will be clearly marked) to the Start Finish line. Even with this change I wouldnt sit anywhere but row 30 or higher because unless you make a rule these guys will use the damn grass.

I think you have to do away with it. If you have some judgement based rule that you randomly have to decide if someone willingly broke or was forced to break you can't win.

IMO you either put a wall down there to stop them or let them race it out. At this point you probably get as many wrecks from guys holding the yellow line than guys going below and causing a crash.

It may cause a few messes, but I think you have to get rid of it. It's no bueno when NASCARS judgement is what determines the winner of the race. So many different opinions out there on who should and shouldn't have been penalized which obviously affected the outcome. Just get rid of the rule.

"Has the time come to do away with the Yellow Line "rule"?"

Not until something changes to break up the packs and / or eliminate wholesale blocking across multiple lanes.

only thing I can think of to have the rule is that if one of them gets into the grass and goes airborne and breaks his or other's necks Nascar doesn't get that big of a black eye out of it. They can point to their rule if the concered citizens and politicians try to make a big deal out of it. There was a congresswomen trying to ban auto racing after the Stewart/ Ward incident so anything is possible.

only thing I can think of to have the rule is that if one of them gets into the grass and goes airborne and breaks his or other's necks Nascar doesn't get that big of a black eye out of it. They can point to their rule if the concered citizens and politicians try to make a big deal out of it. There was a congresswomen trying to ban auto racing after the Stewart/ Ward incident so anything is possible.
Dont forget to clear pit road on the white flag. Have a bunker they can get behind

maybe put small speed bumps down there. like only 2inches high. and no one would go down there on purpose.

The rule was put in place because Mike Skinner drove Tony Stewart into the grass at Talladega and then came back into traffic and caused a huge crash. The rule was needed then. Do away with it and racing will get back to this.

They need to figure out a way to make it a non-judgement call. Probably make it where anyone goes below the yellow line, for any reason, get a penalty.

The rule was put in place because Mike Skinner drove Tony Stewart into the grass at Talladega and then came back into traffic and caused a huge crash. The rule was needed then. Do away with it and racing will get back to this.

They need to figure out a way to make it a non-judgement call. Probably make it where anyone goes below the yellow line, for any reason, get a penalty.

Does not look that bad...cool!

Then all you have to do to eliminate your competition is nudge them out of bounds.

No, keep the rule or you'll have a funnel going into 1 and 3. Change the rule to read out of bounds rule is exempt coming to the checkered flag from exit of turn 4 ( Track will be clearly marked) to the Start Finish line. Even with this change I wouldnt sit anywhere but row 30 or higher because unless you make a rule these guys will use the damn grass.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't even think you are wrong at the heart of it, but I'm not sure the result would be any more of a clusterfluck than what we had yesterday. I have seen every plate race since the out of bounds line was added, and I STILL don't understand how Denny was able to keep that win. He WAS NOT blocked, he DROVE below the line, and then passed cars when Byron, who DID get blocked below the line, took him and Matt up the track. In my opinion, Jones won that race.

Isn’t that area paved over with concrete now?

If there was any form of consistency with the enforcement of this rule, it would be one thing, but there's not. Seems like enforcement is based on who is involved. Just like the locking bumpers rule in Xfinity is sometimes ignored.

These superspeedway races are circuses and way too often decided by race control.

If there was any form of consistency with the enforcement of this rule, it would be one thing, but there's not. Seems like enforcement is based on who is involved. Just like the locking bumpers rule in Xfinity is sometimes ignored.

These superspeedway races are circuses and way too often decided by race control.

Consistency is the key. You absolutely can NOT give Hamlin the win, but DQ Regan Smith all those years ago...yet that is exactly what they did. It either means they haven't learned how to enforce the rules through all the years since or it means they place favorites. I think it's option 2 and that isn't a good reputation for any sport to have.

Put a curb along the line so drivers can't go below and every driver should be willing to crash anyone who tries to push you there. The hell with being nice, if a driver screws up, crash him out of the race. There won't be a next time.
I also believe that Nascar could stop this if they want. Very simple, if you try to force another driver below the line you get to watch the next race from home.

10 feet is a pretty big difference to still go flying to the fence...

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk
Bro, I like ya,, but 10 feet woudlnt have stopped anything on that wreck. What did stop him is that fence and 10 feet nor 20 feet wouldnt have stopped him from hitting the fence, if it wasnt there he would have been 20 + yards in the stands

Bro, I like ya,, but 10 feet woudlnt have stopped anything on that wreck. What did stop him is that fence and 10 feet nor 20 feet wouldnt have stopped him from hitting the fence, if it wasnt there he would have been 20 + yards in the stands

So you're telling me....he would've went all the way from the grass, across the track and into the fence? :XXROFL: :XXROFL: No damn way he flies that far. Like he would have to clear sooooooooooo much room.

Put a curb along the line so drivers can't go below and every driver should be willing to crash anyone who tries to push you there. The hell with being nice, if a driver screws up, crash him out of the race. There won't be a next time.
I also believe that Nascar could stop this if they want. Very simple, if you try to force another driver below the line you get to watch the next race from home.
What? Really? A curb at 200 mph? You might want to rethink that .

So you're telling me....he would've went all the way from the grass, across the track and into the fence? :XXROFL: :XXROFL: No damn way he flies that far. Like he would have to clear sooooooooooo much room.
Do your little roll emojis and stuff but you really dont have a clue. Just watch the replay, he didnt graze the fence he pounded it, Yes He would have gone that far, easily .

Do your little roll emojis and stuff but you really dont have a clue. Just watch the replay, he didnt graze the fence he pounded it, Yes He would have gone that far, easily .

Well we got to agree to disagree, because I don't see any damn way he flies that far. He only flew into the fence because he got hit while spinning, the car easily was going to come down before it got launched.

Well we got to agree to disagree, because I don't see any damn way he flies that far. He only flew into the fence because he got hit while spinning, the car easily was going to come down before it got launched.
ok great, you are assuming no other cars are on the track.

ok great, you are assuming no other cars are on the track.

Show me where I said that? Because those words are not in my post at all. But if he's in the grass when he starts to go up he very likely would not get hit by another car and just land right on his wheels. We'll never know, but I mean the yellow line rule for sure did cause it that day. Brad even said he knows he couldn't go below the line.

The rule causes more wrecks than it prevents imo. And also creates more judgement officiating calls that no one wants.

The problem for nascar is it now becomes a liability issue if they remove and something happens. They're caught in a pickle.

Show me where I said that? Because those words are not in my post at all. But if he's in the grass when he starts to go up he very likely would not get hit by another car and just land right on his wheels. We'll never know, but I mean the yellow line rule for sure did cause it that day. Brad even said he knows he couldn't go below the line.
Damn dude. Brad was trying to get the inside, Carl was trying to stop him, even if you took the yellow line away the 99 would have driven him to the dirt. I've got 30 years in this ****. No yellow line and Brad would have said " I had no where to go but in to the grass" and he would have hooked him. Done deal. Just so you understand these cars are moving a football field a second and the 99 probably went a tenth of a mile in the air so dont try to tell me 10 feet would have made a difference.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't even think you are wrong at the heart of it, but I'm not sure the result would be any more of a clusterfluck than what we had yesterday. I have seen every plate race since the out of bounds line was added, and I STILL don't understand how Denny was able to keep that win. He WAS NOT blocked, he DROVE below the line, and then passed cars when Byron, who DID get blocked below the line, took him and Matt up the track. In my opinion, Jones won that race.

I always thought they were supposed to atleast momentarily stop trying to advance forward (Denny continued to pass more cars during/after) even if forced instead of using it to their advantage and being allowed to keep the win.

Back
Top Bottom