Have some extra $$$ to spend

There is NO WAY I could part with this stuff if I were King Richard. I am much too sentimental. I also can't imagine why his family members wouldn't be interested. Heck, I still have the helmet, shoes, gloves and spare lug nuts from my last ever pit stop, all displayed on a shelf. :)

There is NO WAY I could part with this stuff if I were King Richard. I am much too sentimental. I also can't imagine why his family members wouldn't be interested. Heck, I still have the helmet, shoes, gloves and spare lug nuts from my last ever pit stop, all displayed on a shelf. :)
I can understand it. I'm not a sentimental guy at all. I kept almost nothing after 21 years in the National Guard.

I'm just the opposite. I not only have my own stuff, I have select items from other friends and relatives too. . I have the license plate from the first vehicle that was mine, I have the program and the ticket stub from every Cup race I ever attended, a chunk of the Berlin Wall, a piece of bodywork from Jason Leffler's very first Busch race, the tags from my deceased dogs, a set of roof flaps out of a late 90's Hendrick Monte Carlo, the baseball glove I used all through my teen years.

I'm just the opposite. I not only have my own stuff, I have select items from other friends and relatives too. . I have the license plate from the first vehicle that was mine, I have the program and the ticket stub from every Cup race I ever attended, a chunk of the Berlin Wall, a piece of bodywork from Jason Leffler's very first Busch race, the tags from my deceased dogs, a set of roof flaps out of a late 90's Hendrick Monte Carlo, the baseball glove I used all through my teen years.
You, sir, are a true packrat. LOL

Okay, I do have all the tickets from the races I've attended, but those only take up a couple of linear inches in a desk drawer. I also have five dog and cat tags on a collar in the truck; they don't take up much space either.

I went to Level Cross last May and toured the place, got to see that dodge. good thing I did....

Maybe they'd rather have the money?

He cant take it with him.

True, but they aren't interested in the items that are going up for bid either.

And that in itself is sad to me. If I was Richard's son, grandson, great grandson, nephew, whatever, you couldn't keep me from that stuff.

Perhaps there’s an over-abundance of “stuff”.

According to Mr. Petty the museum is full.

The last time I was at level Cross there was quite a few buildings there. I'm also curious why the museum would be any more full than it was three and a half decades ago, the last time Petty Enterprises did something relevant. Nobody ever said they had to display everything at the same time....

Hopefully there’s enough inventory left to refresh the lug nut display every two or three weeks.

The last time I was at level Cross there was quite a few buildings there. I'm also curious why the museum would be any more full than it was three and a half decades ago, the last time Petty Enterprises did something relevant. Nobody ever said they had to display everything at the same time....
The stuff has to be stored somewhere. Rotating the displays requires a someplace to store the stuff that's off line, and labor to swap the stuff around.

And maybe their Sentimental Index is closer to mine than yours.

I guess we all do things differently but after clearing out when my Mother died and trying to get rid of things she had accumulated over the years, then doing the same thing with my sister, who never threw anything away, I decided I wasn't going to leave those choices up to my kids and held an estate sale. Sold many things I wish now I had but quite honestly, can do without. I had a NASCAR collection beginning in the early '80s, die cast cars and transporters displayed in specially made showcases, posters, sheet metal, you name, it was probably in my collection. Even had the first flag used when I was starter at races beginning in 1957. All gone and with it, knowing my children do not have to deal with it.

We left the house the two days of the estate sale so I wouldn't run in and grab something. :(

Not everyone feels the same way but I've been through it, twice, and that was enough. Somehow, and this is just me, it doesn't seem fair to burden my kids with having to sell or give away my toys and collections after I die. YOMV.

Just curious is there a story how you got a piece of the Berlin Wall?

Just curious is there a story how you got a piece of the Berlin Wall?

My wife is first generation American, her entire family is from what was East Germany. My mother-in-law's sister and her children live not too far from Berlin. When the wall came down, my wife's cousin went to Berlin and gathered up souvenirs, as many others did. It's just a chunk a little bigger than your fist. My father-in-law fought in the German army as a teenager in WWII, and spent six years as slave labor in a Russian prison camp in the Ukraine. His brother spent two years in a British prison camp. Their grandparents were native Prussians that owned a small brewery in Russia. When the revolution of 1917 took place, they were killed, and my father-in-law's father escaped to Germany proper. My mother-in-law was just a girl when the Russians invaded Germany, and they had to flee their home with only what they could carry. They spent a couple of years living in barns and fields, begging and laboring for food. A sizable chunk of my father-in-law's family migrated to the US in 1956, making the crossing on a cargo ship.

My wife is first generation American, her entire family is from what was East Germany. My mother-in-law's sister and her children live not too far from Berlin. When the wall came down, my wife's cousin went to Berlin and gathered up souvenirs, as many others did. It's just a chunk a little bigger than your fist. My father-in-law fought in the German army as a teenager in WWII, and spent six years as slave labor in a Russian prison camp in the Ukraine. His brother spent two years in a British prison camp. Their grandparents were native Prussians that owned a small brewery in Russia. When the revolution of 1917 took place, they were killed, and my father-in-law's father escaped to Germany proper. My mother-in-law was just a girl when the Russians invaded Germany, and they had to flee their home with only what they could carry. They spent a couple of years living in barns and fields, begging and laboring for food. A sizable chunk of my father-in-law's family migrated to the US in 1956, making the crossing on a cargo ship.
Fascinating, thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom