Heisman Hype

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
For months now, there has been an ever changing speculation as to who would be considered the front runner for the coveted trophy. Since I work most Saturdays, I don't get to watch very many games from those outside the ACC or those in the ACC for that matter, but I was able to watch several games this past weekend that featured players that should be considered. Those that I saw were limited to Tim Tebow, Jimmie Clausen, Mark Ingram and Toby Gerhart. There is no doubt that Tebow is a man without peers for what he does. His game Saturday against in-state rival Florida State was phenomenal. But was it enough to get him his second trophy? Clausen showed his mettle, but he isn't even in the scope, again, haven't seen enough to make that judgement. Ingram seems to be the front runner with the experts and I have seen him play just once...this weekend. His last game wasn't anything to write home about, but I know that he is one heck of a running back. Then there is who I like for the trophy, Toby Gerhart. His work ethic is second to none and his numbers are also second to none, including Ingram. However, Toby doesn't play for an annual powerhouse and as such, has to show much more success to get notice. His final regular season game against Notre Dame was his best for the season and was in front of a national audience. Throw in Colt McCoy of Texas (I never got to see him in action) and though his numbers aren't what they were last year, there are those who feel that he should have won it last year (I'm not one of them though... :) ). CJ Spiller and Kellen Moore are two more candidates that I've not seen but know of their achievements.

Soooooo, who do you think, hope or want to win?

Gerhart for sure, he is a stud, and has given it to every major openent he has faced this year. Tebow is great, McCoy is good, Ingram is also good but on the slide down. But Gerhart by the numbers is the most outstanding player this year, hands down. I hope he makes it to NYC as one of the top three, and I hope he wins it.

I'd say the last player that got the trophy that was the best player in the country was Ricky Williams. It's a popularity contest now. Tebow couldn't carry Vince Youngs jockstrap & VY didn't get it. McCoy shoulda gotten it last year for what he did for the horns..this year, he shouldnt get it & probably will, since he got shafted last year. Funny how the maxwell trophy always seems to go to someone other than the hypesman.

I think it is really a toss-up this year.

Toby Gerhart has some incredible numbers, but he played against some really poor defenses in the Pac-10 and they didn't have a great record even there.

Tebow has been very pedestrian except for a few really good games against teams like unranked Florida State. I really like the guy, but I think it would be a mistake if he won it.

Mark Ingram has been great, but he got held down by Auburn and unfortunately votors tend to put more weight on what you do at the end of the season than how you did for the whole season.

Colt McCoy hasn't had a really great year, but he was the preseason favorite because Bradford and Tebow already won theirs and Colt is seen as the other member of that quarterback class. If he wins it, much like Tebow, it will be based on other factors than who had the best year.

I would be happy with either Ingram or Gerhart winning it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd say the last player that got the trophy that was the best player in the country was Ricky Williams. It's a popularity contest now. Tebow couldn't carry Vince Youngs jockstrap & VY didn't get it. McCoy shoulda gotten it last year for what he did for the horns..this year, he shouldnt get it & probably will, since he got shafted last year. Funny how the maxwell trophy always seems to go to someone other than the hypesman.

It would probably help if you would look outside of the state of Texas. Bradford accumilated for 10 more touchdowns and a 1000 more yds. passing than McCoy in 2008. McCoy did win the head to head match up but that is just 1 game. Since Vince Young did not play against Tim Tebow thats stupid to associate them together. The year Tebow won it, he was by far the best player in the country. Now I will say you have an argument in 2005 with VY.
I think he was the best player that year. If they would have voted after the national championship if would have won it.
You say McCoy should'nt get this year but I think he should. He has been good all year and the A&M was unbelievable and I'm a Gator fan. Tebow should not even come close to winning this year, even know the Gators would not be undefeated without him.

The finalists are in. Gerhart, Ingram, McCoy, Suh and Tebow. I'd love to see Suh win, but if not him, then Gerhart.

suh's problem is he plays defense. nobody can argue that he's a great player and helped himself the most this past weekend. what a game he had! no. 1 to go in the draft?

It would probably help if you would look outside of the state of Texas. Bradford accumilated for 10 more touchdowns and a 1000 more yds. passing than McCoy in 2008. McCoy did win the head to head match up but that is just 1 game. Since Vince Young did not play against Tim Tebow thats stupid to associate them together. The year Tebow won it, he was by far the best player in the country. Now I will say you have an argument in 2005 with VY.
I think he was the best player that year. If they would have voted after the national championship if would have won it.
You say McCoy should'nt get this year but I think he should. He has been good all year and the A&M was unbelievable and I'm a Gator fan. Tebow should not even come close to winning this year, even know the Gators would not be undefeated without him.

Yeah..I do look outside the state of Texas. The reason he shoulda won it last year was his combined stats & what he did for his team. Bradford was surrounded with much more talent last year than McCoy(who also led the Horns in rushing last year)...wittout McCoy last year, the horns wuda dropped a few more games,IMO. This year, McCoy has NOT been sharp except for probaby 2 games..I've seen em all. His receivers have made him look great, bad pass, after bad pass. He also has thrown the OL, and several of the Rec under the bus in interviews this year, which shows no leadership quality IMO. Add to that, his turnovers this season, and he's only being thrown in the mix because he's percived as a "good kid" and because he got shafted last year. I'm a horn fan & have been since I was a toddler...McCoy doesn't even sniff my list of best Horns in history. Suh shud get it, IMO because he IS Nebraskas team. Without him, they are Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom