Help please

Dwayne

Team Owner
Everyone is talking about the #10 being out of the top 35 yet when I look online David Rutimen(sp) is in 32'nd and Stremme is in 36'th but Tommy Baldwin Racing is listed 36'th in owners points. I'm confused please help.
Dwayne

Everyone is talking about the #10 being out of the top 35 yet when I look online David Rutimen(sp) is in 32'nd and Stremme is in 36'th but Tommy Baldwin Racing is listed 36'th in owners points. I'm confused please help.
Dwayne

I too was confused, but dpk saved me from further embarassment. The top 35 is based on OWNER points, which sometimes don't match driver points.

Ok thanks :rolleyes: But Stremme has been in the same car all year so how does TBR end up in 36'th and not Inception Motorsports?

The driver has no bearing on owner points. Theoretically an owner could use 36 different drivers and still win the owners point championship.

The driver has no bearing on owner points. Theoretically an owner could use 36 different drivers and still win the owners point championship.

So does that meen the driver and owners earn a different amount of points? Sorry for the dumb questions but this doesn't make any sense, how does a driver end up with a different amount of points than the team he has driven for all year? Remember Stremme has driven for the same team in all the races this year.

So does that meen the driver and owners earn a different amount of points? Sorry for the dumb questions but this doesn't make any sense, how does a driver end up with a different amount of points than the team he has driven for all year? Remember Stremme has driven for the same team in all the races this year.
They don't earn different point that I'm aware of. In Stremme's case he has 63 points as a driver and the owner, Inception Motorsports, also has 63 points as Stremme has been in the seat for all of the races. The #10 car, owned by Tommy Baldwin Racing, has 97 points. David Reutimann didn't driver the car in all of the races. David Reutimann earned 88 of those and the remaining were earned as a result of Danica being behind the wheel. Do a quick search at NASCAR.com and you'll find your answers.

"Both car owner and driver points are awarded based on the same declining scale. The winner and his car owner each get 46 points plus one bonus point for leading a lap and one more bonus point for whoever lead the most laps."

Hmmmmmm......my statement is confirmed.

It's simple. Owners points and Driver Points are separate. A driver can accumulate points racing for several teams and an owner can accumulate points for their car regardless of driver.

You need to re-read my statement.

"Both car owner and driver points are awarded based on the same declining scale. The winner and his car owner each get 46 points plus one bonus point for leading a lap and one more bonus point for whoever lead the most laps."

Hmmmmmm......my statement is confirmed.

You are not getting the big picture here. Is this a joke?

Let me help you...

"The driver of record has everything to do with owner points for any given week."

That's very different from what you said, which is that "the driver has NOTHING to do with owner points".

It's cumulative. The owners even get points of the don't qualify. It's 2 separate points standings.

Bloody hell man. I can't believe that you didn't already know this stuff.

Let me help you...

"The driver of record has everything to do with owner points for any given week."

That's very different from what you said, which is that "the driver has NOTHING to do with owner points".

Oh jesus h christ
You want to split hairs over semantics? And guess what, if Trevor Bayne drives in a Cup race he gets zero points but the owners still get points.

Let me explain further so you can understand. There is only ONE driver of record each week, and he is the one that scores points for the owner for any given week.

So, the driver does indeed have plenty to do with scoring owner points.

So, your statement that "The driver has no bearing on owner points." is completely false and confusing.

If you don't get it after this neat little walk through, I give up.

It's cumulative. The owners even get points of the don't qualify. It's 2 separate points standings.

Bloody hell man. I can't believe that you didn't already know this stuff.

This is new to me and I've followed stock racing since the late sixties, just read up on it I guess it's so smaller teams will keep coming out and try to qualify.
This has turned into a fun post thanks for all the replies. :headbang:

FB and Matt, you are both essentially saying the same thing. We get it.

An owner gets points for where his car finishes on any given week. The name above the door does not change that.
Would it make a difference to the car owner if the driver was named Jeff Gordon as opposed to Jennifer Jo Cobb? Most likely.
A driver gets points based upon where he finishes on any given week. The name of the car owner does not change that.
Would it make a difference to the driver if the car were owned by Rick Hendrick as opposed to Tommy Baldwin? Probably.
The result each week is based upon a number of factors including owner, driver, crew and Lady Luck.
But owner and driver points, while co-dependent, are separate.

You can try to twist my words all you want. I'm not gonna bite...

LOL! Dude, you need to READ before you post.

Now READ dwaynes reply to that little bit of help from Matt, and you'll be all caught. You all have your heels dug in, and your not making much sense.

LOL! Dude, you need to READ before you post.

Talk about someone digging in their heels. Man!!

Yes, the owner and driver get the same number of points on any given week - and the quality of the driver can have a dramatic impact on how many points the owner gets.

We understand, FB! JEEZ!!.

If Trevor Bayne leads the most laps and wins a race, he will get zero driver points but the owner of the car would get 47 owner points. In conclusion, driver point standings and owner point standings can be completely independent of one another. Only FB would complicate something so simple.:D

From NASCAR.com
Overview
All teams get owner points, as long as they pass inspection and make a qualifying attempt, whether they qualify for the race or not. The 43 owners who make the race earn points equal to the driver points. Those who do not qualify for the race are awarded points, starting with the fastest car that failed to qualify, down to the slowest car that attempted to qualify. These points establish priority in gaining provisionals for future races.

Back
Top Bottom