Hermie Sadler benefit to help the autistic

H

HardScrabble

Have a bit of a personal dog in this fight since one of my closest friends daughters has an autistic child. Hope Hermie's efforts lead to more involvement by the NASCAR family.

Thumbs Up for Hermie!

NASCAR Driver Hermie Sadler is racing to increase autism awareness and raise funds for The Faison School for Autism (TFSA). Hermie’s daughter, Halie, 4, was diagnosed with autism in February of 2001. After learning that ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) is the only proven method of successful long term outcomes for children with autism, the Sadlers enrolled Halie in an early intervention program, utilizing ABA, offered at TFSA.

Hermie Sadler is now involved in a race to, in his own words, “give Halie the best possible chance to live a normal childhood and life.” In the three months that Halie has been at the school, Hermie commented, “Halie has made tremendous progress. Her communication and social skills are definitely improving.”

The story does not end there, however, because Hermie has made a commitment to help other families of children with autism. He is sponsoring a Bowl-a-Thon at AMF Hanover Lanes, 7317 Bell Creek Road, Mechanicsville, Virginia, on Saturday, November 23, 2002 at 3:00PM to raise money for TFSA in order to enable a child whose family cannot afford the tuition to be able to attend.

Featured events include bowling, a silent auction of signed NASCAR Driver memorabilia, photos of you with the Sadler NASCAR stockcars, and T-shirt sales. Fun for the whole family! Come out and meet Hermie who comments, “we will have some very unique NASCAR and NFL merchandise that has been donated to me.”

All donations received go directly to the school and its programs. Tickets to bowl are $25/person and include two games and shoes. Reserve your own lane for four for a minimum donation of $100. Sponsorships of $1,000 are available and include a banner on the lane, eight tickets to bowl, free advertising, four photos of you with the Sadler NASCAR stockcars, and a bowling contest for prizes.

Autism is a neuro-biological disorder of the brain that affects the development of language, intuitive thought, communication and social interaction. According to the Autism Society of America (ASA), autism occurs in one out of every 250 children. It is the third leading childhood disorder, occurring more often than childhood cancer, cystic fibrosis, and down syndrome. It is the fastest growing developmental disability increasing at a rate of 10-17% annually. The cost of treatment over a lifetime can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and early intervention.

Hermie’s plea to parents, “If you have concerns about your child, please get them evaluated as soon as possible. Many people are afraid to find out that something may be wrong with their child, but the child deserves help if they need it and at a young age.”

TFSA, affiliated with The Autism Center of Virginia at VCU, is the only school of its kind in the Richmond area. A not-for-profit organization, it relies heavily on the generosity of caring people. All donations are tax-deductible.

To learn more about The Faison School or get tickets to the event, call (804) 828-4708 or E-mail [email protected] and write Sadler in the subject line. To learn more about Hermie Sadler visit, www.sadlerfanclub.com.

Hermie is a class act. I wish he would be able to race more often than he has. I know he doesn't have the best talent out there, but it just bogs my mind why he doesn't have a full-time ride and guys like Shane Hmiel do.

Back
Top Bottom