‘Hey, I screwed up, the wheel might be loose!’ - Saving Keselowski's Day

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
And maybe the Championship.....

Hunter Masling faced a dilemma. What he would decide to do in less than a second could impact hundreds and alter how Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Chicagoland Speedway ended.

Keep quiet and maybe things would be OK.

Or admit a mistake that could cost Brad Keselowski a chance to win.

Those were Masling’s options.

No one else knew what he faced.

Good article by Dustin Long can be read here.

I wonder where this guy would be if it were Harvick's front tire changer? Just sayin.

And maybe the Championship.....

Hunter Masling faced a dilemma. What he would decide to do in less than a second could impact hundreds and alter how Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Chicagoland Speedway ended.

Keep quiet and maybe things would be OK.

Or admit a mistake that could cost Brad Keselowski a chance to win.

Those were Masling’s options.

No one else knew what he faced.

Good article by Dustin Long can be read here.

I wonder where this guy would be if it were Harvick's front tire changer? Just sayin.

Good read dp

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking as I read the article. LOL.

As Ted just said, racing is a team sport. You win and lose as a team. It was nice to see that nobody flipped out about what was an honest mistake that just happens from time to time. They stayed calm, corrected the mistake, and recovered nicely. I'm glad that everything worked out in the end.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

so I guess it is now the time where the fans and media get on there knees to start worshiping the greatness of Kesolowski and Wolfe. I cant wait for the articles to start claiming Wolfe is better than Knaus again.

so I guess it is now the time where the fans and media get on there knees to start worshiping the greatness of Kesolowski and Wolfe. I cant wait for the articles to start claiming Wolfe is better than Knaus again.
For some strange reason, I'm getting the vibe that you're not the biggest Brad fan. ;)

I don't think any current driver/CC combo is better than Jimmie and Chad, but Kes and Wolfe are probably second. Honestly, I dunno who else there is to put in that spot as of right now.

For some strange reason, I'm getting the vibe that you're not the biggest Brad fan. ;)

I don't think any current driver/CC combo is better than Jimmie and Chad, but Kes and Wolfe are probably second. Honestly, I dunno who else there is to put in that spot as of right now.

No, I just think that the Nascar Media and some of its fan base are so hard up for an Anti-Johnson right now that they will sniff whoever's jock they can to get it. Right now it is Brad. Just like the other thread about that pass sunday "making his career", like seriously? The winner of this year's championship will more than likely be the winner of Homestead. So that means Brad, and three other guys will have to be the best that day. Brad could win 9 out of 10 chase races and lose the championship at Homestead. So I am not ready to crown him the reining Mr Awesome just yet.

No, I just think that the Nascar Media and some of its fan base are so hard up for an Anti-Johnson right now that they will sniff whoever's jock they can to get it. Right now it is Brad. Just like the other thread about that pass sunday "making his career", like seriously? The winner of this year's championship will more than likely be the winner of Homestead. So that means Brad, and three other guys will have to be the best that day. Brad could win 9 out of 10 chase races and lose the championship at Homestead. So I am not ready to crown him the reining Mr Awesome just yet.
Agreed. I don't take any of that chatter too seriously, though. Like I said in that thread, it's just Chase hype. :mellow:

This thread wasn't a Keselowski love thread. It's a thread about a crew member on the team.

The other was about a pass that he made and how it could be looked at in the future. It may be one to remember.

I'm not even a Keselowski fan and could care less whether he takes home the trophy or not. Both were interesting stories IMO.

If that wheel fell off they would immediately know who left it loose, it took a lot of courage for this guy to step up and do his job :rolleyes:
My goodness

Except there were other stops the team absolutley nailed & Brad won the race.

Brad won the race because the people in front of him were racing it out and killing each others momentum. he found a hole and passed them up

If that wheel fell off they would immediately know who left it loose, it took a lot of courage for this guy to step up and do his job :rolleyes:
My goodness
Well, it kinda did take a lot of courage for that guy to step up and admit that he screwed up. His mistake could have cost the team the race. How would you feel if you were in his position, especially considering how a lot of crew guys get raked over the coals when they mess up? I bet you'd be just as nervous as he was. I certainly would have been nervous.

That's why I found that article interesting. It told a story from the perspective of the people no one normally pays attention to despite their importance, the crew guys. I also found it interesting because no one on the team used negative reinforcement like some on here advocate, and the guy and his team nailed the rest of the stops and they ended up coming back and winning the race.

Brad won the race because the people in front of him were racing it out and killing each others momentum. he found a hole and passed them up
still it looked like days of thunder, pretty cool. I have always wondered if the tire changer only gets 3 lugs tight if thats enough to keep the wheel on ok on a race car. on a street car 3 tight lugs will get the job done, heck 2 tight on a street car would work for a while anyways.

Well, it kinda did take a lot of courage for that guy to step up and admit that he screwed up. His mistake could have cost the team the race. How would you feel if you were in his position, especially considering how a lot of crew guys get raked over the coals when they mess up? I bet you'd be just as nervous as he was. I certainly would have been nervous.

That's why I found that article interesting. It told a story from the perspective of the people no one normally pays attention to despite their importance, the crew guys. I also found it interesting because no one on the team used negative reinforcement like some on here advocate, and they ended up coming back and winning the race.

The dude did what he had to do, I commend him for that and I commend Brad and his whole team for the awesome job that they do. I dont care for Brad but he is a formidable competitor, he is very determined and can make a good day out of a really bad one

still it looked like days of thunder, pretty cool. I have always wondered if the tire changer only gets 3 lugs tight if thats enough to keep the wheel on ok on a race car. on a street car 3 tight lugs will get the job done, heck 2 tight on a street car would work for a while anyways.

I would imagine that a few nuts get left loose pretty often but not sure of it

His crew had another stop after the messed up one & they hit it at 11.9 seconds. With the car brad had, He may have caught them anyway. We'll never know.

His crew had another stop after the messed up one & they hit it at 11.9 seconds. With the car brad had, He may have caught them anyway. We'll never know.

In the sport of motorcycle road racing its quite common for a guy thats pretty far back to catch the leaders if they start dicing with each other, same thing happens in auto racing. I imagine that Gordon explained all that to young mr Larson after the race.

Iwonder where this guy would be if it were Harvick's front tire changer? Just sayin.

If he is good most of the time, I think he would be OK. Harvick has bad pit stop issues the entire regular season. It wasn't like a rare problem benched his previous pit crew.
I missed Sundays race because I was at work, but I think I read something about an early pit road issue for Harvick as well.

But in any case Childers knew all about Harvick prior to agreeing to work with him. He also ran a team for a while and they were pretty successful, it isn't like he doesn't know how to maintain professional racing relationships.

Even when leaving RCR the reasons were obvious, he stayed there until it became clear that (RCRs) family ties was going to compromise his position, and racing future.

If you work for Harvick you will have to put up with his mouth, he isn't Kevin without it. But still the same I don't believe he is unreasonable. He just doesn't play the PR game as good as others imo. In fact the whole thing reflects a difference between SHR, then Penskie, or Hendrick imo. With those two everybody gets a hug a day, and a teddy bear story to take home as needed. They probably even have scribes on hand to pen down every sweet moment as well.

This thread wasn't a Keselowski love thread. It's a thread about a crew member on the team.

The other was about a pass that he made and how it could be looked at in the future. It may be one to remember.

I'm not even a Keselowski fan and could care less whether he takes home the trophy or not. Both were interesting stories IMO.

My responses had nothing to do with you. I know you are a Jr fan, my feelings are more directed towards the media.

Back
Top Bottom