Hey old timers, did Bodine win at North Wilkesboro in 1990?

NC HillBilly

Back home where I belong
I watched this race on TV as a youngin' but I can't remember all the details from that day. Anyone at the actual race know if he was really running in 1st when the pace car picked up the field? Always been curious about this one.

It was a timing and scoring error. Brett Bodine was not the leader when the caution came out, as he had pitted under green and Earnhardt and Waltrip had not. Yet Bodine was mistakenly declared the leader and then drove away, having fresher tires. I believe NASCAR subsequently admitted the mistake, at least as much as they ever admitted anything in those days.

I have heard Larry Mac say they didn’t win the race and he was Brett’s CC at the time. Apparently Bill France told Darrell dude don’t take that win away, you will have many more, Brett not so much. Darrell probably hates it more because he would have 85 beating bobby Allison instead of tying. Ironically Darrel also was a relief driver for Donnie Allison and won another race but didn’t start the race, so Donnie got the win

There is also the argument that Bobby Allison was not given credit for a win as well...………..

There is also the argument that Bobby Allison was not given credit for a win as well...………..
I have heard that argument about bobby, something to do with winning in a mustang, what was allowed to run against cup cars at the time. for what its worth I think darrel has the better argument because his relief driving win and his win that brett got credit for were both in actual cup cars racing against other cup cars. To further that brett's CC says darrell won the race. I bet in his mind darrell would really like to have that 85th win so he would be above bobby. I think drivers think about this kind of stuff more than most people think.

Can't speak for who won this race in 1990, but we all know who won the championship that year.

Can't speak for who won this race in 1990, but we all know who won the championship that year.
Yes we do.....didn’t get credit for it but scored more points than the “champ” and his crybaby owner that year....

I watched this race on TV as a youngin' but I can't remember all the details from that day. Anyone at the actual race know if he was really running in 1st when the pace car picked up the field? Always been curious about this one.

Bodine won it just like the “champ” that won the title that year....

Got to feel a bit bad for the dude, his one Cup win, and he probably didn't even really win it. Think if something like that happened now a days and someone got a win like that. :XXROFL:with the point system they have now, it would be way way worse at that also since they would take a spot in the playoffs.

Got to feel a bit bad for the dude, his one Cup win, and he probably didn't even really win it. Think if something like that happened now a days and someone got a win like that. :XXROFL:with the point system they have now, it would be way way worse at that also since they would take a spot in the playoffs.

I doubt Brett worries too much on it. He at least got to enjoy his lone win more than Wendell Scott. THAT was a travesty....

Back
Top Bottom