Hindsight haunts Casey Atwood..

I was at that race at Milwaukee. He shocked everyone by passing (I think) Jeff Green late in the race to win. Even got his autograph on my hat. Really thought it'd be worth something someday.

Casey is another guy who was pushed up to Cup way too soon. I think he was only 19 when he moved up. Judging by the article, sounds like his maturity level wasn't quite where it needed to be.

i thought his castrol #27 car was the sharpest ever paint scheme, still to this day. my nephew just completed basic from the air force last week and he's home right now. he leaves tomorrow for las vegas where he will be for at least 4 years, and he asked if he could have a few 1:24 cars out of my collection, of course i said yes, that he could pick 12 cars, and the first car he chose and said he wanted more than any was the atwood 27 castrol car. funny i hadn't thought of casey in years till today with him and then this thread. funny how that happened.

Casey came up too soon and being touted the next Gorden added unnecessary pressure. And staring out with a new team did didn't help. He had the veteran Bill Elliot as a teammate but I wonder how much of a mentor he was. I imagine everyone on the Evernham team was distracted trying to figure out how to establish a new team. Casey might have done better starting with an established team where the day to day operation is established and someone might have been able to help him blend in.

When ever I hear the phrase "The next Gordon" I always think of Casey and his experience.

Casey came up too soon and being touted the next Gorden added unnecessary pressure. And staring out with a new team did didn't help. He had the veteran Bill Elliot as a teammate but I wonder how much of a mentor he was. I imagine everyone on the Evernham team was distracted trying to figure out how to establish a new team. Casey might have done better starting with an established team where the day to day operation is established and someone might have been able to help him blend in.

When ever I hear the phrase "The next Gordon" I always think of Casey and his experience.

It would be nice to know who the next Gordon is though, so all of us Gordon fans can prepare to become fans.

It would be nice to know who the next Gordon is though, so all of us Gordon fans can prepare to become fans.
No one can tell us who it will be, track performance will decide. So far I'm seeing Larson as one of the next stars. But they might call him the next Kyle Bush (minus the early attitude).

I have been looking up stats lately and I read the article on Casey and yet again lazy journalism touts from time to time "..Logano, could have been, Logano may be the next Casey Atwood, blah, blah blah. Casey's stat comps year to year were no where near Logano's. IMO just lazy. If you are going to compare apple to apples you darn well better make sure you are dealing with apples. Sad article by the way.

I have been looking up stats lately and I read the article on Casey and yet again lazy journalism touts from time to time "..Logano, could have been, Logano may be the next Casey Atwood, blah, blah blah. Casey's stat comps year to year were no where near Logano's. IMO just lazy. If you are going to compare apple to apples you darn well better make sure you are dealing with apples. Sad article by the way.

It is sad that , even though he made it to the top 43 of his profession , he and others don't consider that a success . I didn't see the comparison to Joey as a stats comparison . Just that you make decisions at crucial points in your career , some are diamonds like Joey's move to Penske , some are coal like Casey and Evernham's .

Casey got a lot better by the end of the 2001 season, then he got **** on by evernham and moved to the crappy 7 satellite team that was junk. His career essentially ended after that year, he never even got a chance in a competitive ride again. Real shame because I think he has the talent

It is sad that , even though he made it to the top 43 of his profession , he and others don't consider that a success . I didn't see the comparison to Joey as a stats comparison . Just that you make decisions at crucial points in your career , some are diamonds like Joey's move to Penske , some are coal like Casey and Evernham's .

Maybe I did not make my point clear, over and over throughout the years there was a reference to Logano and Atwoods career when somebody decided to write any article about Logano. I looked Caseys stats up after I read the article about Casey. I thought his stats based on what lazy journalists were always saying, would be at least in the ballpark of Logano and they were not. I have always had a problem with the way the media protrays many in a favorable light and most others not, from driving to blatant exceptions and praise regarding boorish behavior. The sport I feel would garner more fans if the spotlight was spread around a little more and give some backstories, not just the hand chosen media darlings. I know many reasons why they do it, I don't agree with it however.

I've mentioned Casey Atwood on here many times when it comes to people with potential because he is the first person that comes to my mind in a situation like his. I can't remember seeing anybody, besides maybe Kyle Busch who has as much just, what seemed like, pure natural, raw ability to just drive the hell out of a race car in a very long time. It was just a shame that that ability just drowned in all the other stuff that is required of a Cup driver.

I've mentioned Casey Atwood on here many times when it comes to people with potential because he is the first person that comes to my mind in a situation like his. I can't remember seeing anybody, besides maybe Kyle Busch who has as much just, what seemed like, pure natural, raw ability to just drive the hell out of a race car in a very long time. It was just a shame that that ability just drowned in all the other stuff that is required of a Cup driver.

Having a good owner would've helped as well. Evernham seems like a dousche

I agree , but sponsorship is everything today . Sponsors are handing over checks for many millions of dollars and they want squeaky clean drivers who do really well in front of a camera . That's just the way it is . None of those old tobacco chewin good old boys would stand a chance at getting a sponsor in today's Nascar. Absolutely amazing the guys like Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards have managed , through all their troubles , to keep their sponsors onboard.

I have to agree with you there. He was a hell of a crew chief for Jeff Gordon back in the day, but some people are just really cut out for certain things and not others.

Not to mention it was a start up team with a new manufacturer, and a new owner with little patience. Bad recipe for success

I agree , but sponsorship is everything today . Sponsors are handing over checks for many millions of dollars and they want squeaky clean drivers who do really well in front of a camera . That's just the way it is . None of those old tobacco chewin good old boys would stand a chance at getting a sponsor in today's Nascar. Absolutely amazing the guys like Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards have managed , through all their troubles , to keep their sponsors onboard.

I agree about Kyle, I always think there is a rebel(bad boy) in the Mars family that can relate to Kyle. I think of poor Coach, that guy must be sweating bullets all the time, waiting for another hammer to drop. Jd, not so much. "Eddie Haskel" Carl Edwards is kinda a sneaky one. I can only think when the deals are made in the Subway HQ's in Milford, Ct. news of his past exploits don't make it that far north..lol.

Casey got a lot better by the end of the 2001 season, then he got **** on by evernham and moved to the crappy 7 satellite team that was junk. His career essentially ended after that year, he never even got a chance in a competitive ride again. Real shame because I think he has the talent
I remember watching him and thinking he was gonna be the next big thing...... but I moved back downunder in '99 so thats why I don't recall what happened to him.

i thought his castrol #27 car was the sharpest ever paint scheme, still to this day. my nephew just completed basic from the air force last week and he's home right now. he leaves tomorrow for las vegas where he will be for at least 4 years, and he asked if he could have a few 1:24 cars out of my collection, of course i said yes, that he could pick 12 cars, and the first car he chose and said he wanted more than any was the atwood 27 castrol car. funny i hadn't thought of casey in years till today with him and then this thread. funny how that happened.

Can I have some 1:24 diecast?

I have a diecast of his Castrol car he raced in Busch somewhere. Back from the day when I collected diecast cars.

I've got a lot of 1:64 but have never had the cajones to spend big money on bigger cars.
I liked the 1:24 better when I was a kid. I didn't buy them of course lol. But, I would only get one for birthdays/christmas, so I would only have like three to play with lol. I don't collect diecast anymore but my desk at work is kinda empty and I was thinking the other day I might need to get a 1:24 IndyCar diecast and have it signed and put it there.

I've got a lot of 1:64 but have never had the cajones to spend big money on bigger cars.

about 100 1:24
maybe 200 1:64
1 can of davey allison chili
roughly 250 autographed magazine, cards, hats, cars
15 remote controlled cars
alot more miscellaneous stuff

sold hollywood hammond a bunch of cars a few years ago, claimed he was starting a store.

about 100 1:24
maybe 200 1:64
1 can of davey allison chili
roughly 250 autographed magazine, cards, hats, cars
15 remote controlled cars
alot more miscellaneous stuff

sold hollywood hammond a bunch of cars a few years ago, claimed he was starting a store.

Wow that's awesome! Could have been for dwstore.com

DW had a store(May still have it) off exit 36 in Mooresville.

I have probably 120 1:64 and less than 10 1:24 and random mags and programs...

I liked the 1:24 better when I was a kid. I didn't buy them of course lol. But, I would only get one for birthdays/christmas, so I would only have like three to play with lol. I don't collect diecast anymore but my desk at work is kinda empty and I was thinking the other day I might need to get a 1:24 IndyCar diecast and have it signed and put it there.

Yeah that's why I have less than 10. Haha. Racing champions 1:64 and the occasional action collectibles in 1:64 were much easier on the wallet. Lately I have had a cankering for putting stuff on display. Everything of mine is just so dated at this point.

he said he was starting his own, he had a website for a year, but it was always under construction. he bought alot dale sr and jr cars, and a couple autographed cars. he was cool, but he didn't want to pay hardly anything, told him i would just keep em, but we reached a deal on a few.

he said he was starting his own, he had a website for a year, but it was always under construction. he bought alot dale sr and jr cars, and a couple autographed cars. he was cool, but he didn't want to pay hardly anything, told him i would just keep em, but we reached a deal on a few.

Cheap azz Hammond. Haha. Pretty cool though. Wonder if he sold everything.

Sorry for the thread jack. Casey Atwood isn't washed up, I'm sure. He needs to get in some racecars. He probably would have a hard time adjusting to a new car though...

i tried to give a few friends on another racing forum some autographed cards and other things and i was surprised that they wanted me to pay for shipping, even though i was giving them items for free.

yes. i'm sorry too for getting off topic.

I saw (didn't meet) Atwood at an autograph appearance where he and several other drivers were attending. He tried his best to stay away from the fans as much as possible. When he wasn't signing and no one in his line, he went somewhere else to hang out. I figured he was just an immature kid.

Back
Top Bottom