Hints of Senna in Alonso

B

BebiF1

Patrick Faure said the 21-year-old's fighting drive with an oppressive fever in Malaysia - culminating in pole position and a maiden podium - hinted shades of the kind of determination represented by one of F1's greatest ever.

Team principal Flavio Briatore reckons the youngster is all set to follow in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher.

But Faure, the Frenchman, says Alonso reminds him of another driver who had an unlimited determination, right from the start of his career.

'He never deviated from it,' Patrick says - 'Ayrton Senna.'

Alonso became the youngest ace, and first Spaniard, to blitz the front row of the grid in Sepang before leading the opening stint of the Malaysian race in its heat and humidity.

To top it all, Fernando didn't feel well and nearly collapsed when he emerged from his R23 racer in parc ferme after 56 laps.

'I knew he was a bit ill,' said Patrick Faure, 'so I was a bit worried.

'At Sepang, the heat is unbelievable, and the humidity is awful. The lad was suffering but he is so determined.'

Faure travels often to the Formula One races and spent a lot of time with a notably frustrated Fernando Alonso in the racing garage last year.

At the seventeen 2002 grands prix, Fernando watched on as no more than racing reserve and test driver. 'I saw him and chatted to him a lot,' says the French marque's President.

'At only 21 years of age, this lad has a great deal of self-confidence. It was as if, when he looked at the other drivers, he was saying, 'I could do better than them.'

'You could tell, it was obvious.'

Alonso left his family and home-town of Ovierdo at just thirteen years of age to go racing in Italy. 'He hasn't had an easy life so far,' Faure continues.

'He has really earned his place in a Formula One car with a top team through his will-power, his strength and his energy.'

Faure says Fernando wants the world drivers' championship within three years.

Excellent performance indeed. What a ride.

He didn't look too ill jumping onto the podium and holding that trophy. :lol:

A championship with renault within 3 years? You gotta love renalut, espically with their different engine config. and other inovative ideas, but you gotta come back to reality, there are 3 really big teams ahead and last week a lotta things went right for them. As crazy as this season has started out though, who knows. He has got it tough in Brazil though, the F2003 should be there, Williams said they are better, Mclaren is hot, hot, hot. I will be real impressed if he is back on the poduim again in Brazil.

I believe that Renault is the real deal. Last year they consistantly out preformed McLaren, and this year they have been in the fight both races. A race like Monaco could easily see them winning because of the impossiblity of passing once they take the lead. I see great things from Alonso in the future weather it be with Renault or Ferrari, he will win races.

Back
Top Bottom