Home explodes a few miles from me

Bucky Badger

Go Kyle Go
26 houses damaged

fitchburg-explosion-4-jpg.jpg

mark-palma-edit-jpg.jpg

FITCHBURG, Wis. -
Madison Gas and Electric says there's no evidence of a leak or explosion in the underground gas distribution system in the area where a house exploded in Fitchburg.

Man critically injured in house explosion has broken bones, burns
The statement released Friday said MG&E didn't receive any calls regarding a gas leak before the house exploded Thursday at 5573Cheryl Drive, injuring a 57-year-old man inside.

MG&E said their crews were at the scene within 10 minutes and shut off gas to the home as soon as they could safely get to the scene. They also completed a survey of the area to check the safety of the surrounding neighborhood.

Officials said the explosion happened around 6:45 p.m.

The man was found in rubble in his front yard, and was the only person injured in the explosion. Officials said he was taken to UW Hospital with critical injuries.

Neighbors told News 3 they heard the explosion and then insulation started falling from the sky. Eldon McLauly said, "I live about half a mile from here and we were just finishing dinner and we heard this extraordinary explosion and the windows rattled and something blew."

Neighbor Ben Kjorlie told News 3, "It just felt like a bomb had gone off. Like it shook my entire car, the people next to me were walking their dog, they almost fell down it looked like."

"It was extremely loud and unlike anything I had heard in public before. Kind of like a bunch of fireworks all going off at once," he said.

Officials said debris from the explosion is spread across South Fish Hatchery Road. The road was closed overnight, but lanes reopened early Friday morning. East Cheryl Parkway and Cheryl Drive from Research Park Drive to the east to Florann Drive to the west will continue to be closed to traffic until the investigation has been completed.

According to the release, three houses sustained major structural damage and 23 other structures sustained minor to moderate damage.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/mge-no-evidence-explosion-caused-by-underground-system/41384684

Meth lab?

Too hot out to be a person blowing themselves up lighting their gas furnace. That will start happening in November.

Meth lab?

Too hot out to be a person blowing themselves up lighting their gas furnace. That will start happening in November.
Could have been a gas leak. There's a lot of things that could ignite it if there was enough gas in the house.

Don't know the cause yet, the last thing the guys remembers was, he open the fridge door...
Arial view
57c07712b86b5.image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom