Homestead question

NJJammer

Team Owner
From what I've read on NASCAR's own website, first to cross the finish line at Homestead between the 4 finalists will be crowned champion.

So no stages/segments for the finale? Am I reading that right?

It would prevent something like Sunday where Larson, Kyle Busch and Keselowski earned more points than Newman during the race but it seems kind of odd to run only one race a year "the old-fashioned way."

Can someone clarify this for me?

6950242239364D0DAE98CE9D20D7C671.ashx

Thanks but is it then possible for the race winner to not win the championship based on points or is it first to cross the line among the final four contenders, points be damned?

From what I've read on NASCAR's own website, first to cross the finish line at Homestead between the 4 finalists will be crowned champion.

So no stages/segments for the finale? Am I reading that right?

It would prevent something like Sunday where Larson, Kyle Busch and Keselowski earned more points than Newman during the race but it seems kind of odd to run only one race a year "the old-fashioned way."

Can someone clarify this for me?
Your first statement is correct.

No, you're not reading that right. There will be stages.

Your mistake is in your third paragraph. Points don't matter to the championship, only who finishes in front of the other three. However, points will be awarded to everyone else, including the three finalists who finish behind the champion. Those points will determine final standings for everyone else.

Thanks but is it then possible for the race winner to not win the championship based on points or is it first to cross the line among the final four contenders, points be damned?
Now you've got it. That's the same way it's worked for the last two years.

I like the stage racing but not really a fan of the points it rewards. I think points in racing are dumb though anyway, only driver that deserves points after a race is the winner.

A perfect system to me would be similar to the 2014-2016 format without awarding points. Winning the race should be the only thing you are rewarded for in my opinion.

I will admit that I am starting to enjoy the stage racing but I will maintain that the champion should be crowned based on a season-wide point system and not some kind of artificial "final four lottery."

Reward race winners with more points (although I like that strong cars/drivers get rewarded for strong stage finishes) and scrap the "playoff system."

The champion should be crowned based on a strong, consistent season whose race wins are rewarded accordingly. That seems to be a difficult concept for NASCAR to grasp these days.

If the champion is the one to finish first, why even have the stages??
36 other cars on the track, remember? (Well, up to 36 others.)

Like I said earlier, the stages and their points affected all the drivers except the championship finalists. Actually, they'll affect the three drivers who don't win the championship, because those points and their finishing points will determine their final season points position.

Back
Top Bottom