"Honesty" in broadcasting

H

HardScrabble

Man this article brings a lot of questions to my mind.

Equating Madden calling a teams play "horrendous" with commentators specifically assigning "blame" in a racing incident may not equate at all. The racing guys often say a team is performing terribly on the track, a legitimate, valid and factual observation which would equate with Madden's assessments. Incidents on the other hand are not so clearcut. How many times have you nearly "rearended" some clown who suddenly slows for no apparent reason and you have the benefit of brake lights and much reduced closing rates in your favor. Sometimes it may be fairly clear, and I recall certain instances where the guys in the booth have called it. Perhaps not harshly and with some gratutitous understatement, but called it nonetheless.

As to the participants "speaking their minds". Again some mixed thoughts. Don't recall Kurt Busch being penalized or reprimanded in any way for his "decrepit old has-beens" remark. (Just an example) I do recall players and coaches in the NFL, MLB, and NBA being fined for post game comments regarding the officiating.

Lot of room for perspectives on this one!

Read the article here

You mean when Kurt Busch called some drivers has-beens that wasn't an opinion??

Are you actually hoping NASCAR starts handing down pentalties for non-PC statements from drivers???:(

Of course you don't remember him being fined, because he didnt as it should be.

well, racing isnt full of college kids that are well rounded, ya know what i mean:p this is why it has been so popular and many people take their hard earned cash and scrimp and save to attend the races they can. its not fixed and anything can happen or tempers flare at the drop of a hat. its real. hope all this commercializing isnt going to ruin it, i think we already see some of that though, dont we:satisfied

I've often thought that sometimes announcers wrongly place the blame on a driver involved in a wreck. And sometimes they say someone was the cause of the accident when they really don't have the best camera angle to tell. It's often just a matter of the announcers' opinions, but fans seem to accept what they say sas being fact since the announcers have either broadcasted or raced themselves for many years and they trust their opinions.

Exactly my point TurboD!:)

The author seems to intimate that drivers such as Tony have been "conditioned" not to speak their minds. I don't think I fully agree with that assessment. Like in all major league sports, depends on what issue you attack.

I really don't agree w/ that article either. Why do we need to hear Wally D say "Robby didn't use his head right there and took two drivers out"? Fans need less opinions and ideas spoonfed to them. If we're watching the same race, we'll see it for ourselves.

I kinda like Wally speaking his mind. I find it alittle refreshing. I don't always agree, and have my own opinions, but I like Wally speaking his mind.

Lots of Nascar fans think that whatever a broadcaster says is gold.

nascar auto-racing is a SHOW under the direction of the France family. Always has been and probably always will be.

Rule Number One....The Boss is always right.
Rule Number Two....See rule number one.

It's a shame people listen to the broadcasters because it's just their opinion. Just like everyone else should have an opinion about a wreck or whatever happening. It's good that it's not the same as the announcers, but some people don't understand that announcers aren't perfect. They are seeing it just as you are seeing it, and they are staing their OPINION, just like you should be stating your opinion.

I think it's a bit differant with only 2 teams playing a sport,You cut down a player,and you have not knocked the whole team.If you cut a driver down it's a lot more damaging.Also some anouncers have been blamed for being partial to certain drivers,and may well have been.It's my opinion that most of these guys in the racing booths are not very experienced with the operations in the booth like the ones that are in the other sports broadcasting operations.;)

Back
Top Bottom