How about NASCAR celebrating Podium finishes?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
What if one of the changes were a change from just celebrating the winner to celebrating the top 3 finish Podium Style?

I only ask because I just heard Rusty Wallace talking about the on NASCAR Radio a few minutes ago. He talked about finishing 3rd and getting to stand up and celebrate at Daytona in his most recent venture into racing. He thought that would be something good for NASCAR. What do you think?

I think it would be cool. Sponsors would love it as well. There'd be extra incentive for drivers to finish in the top 3. Also, more fans would be satisfied because the fans of 3 drivers would get to celebrate. They could even give a bonus point for podium finishes or perhaps 5 podiums could earn an automatic Chase birth. This would allow for consistency to be more aptly rewarded.

They could even give a bonus point for podium finishes or perhaps 5 podiums could earn an automatic Chase birth. This would allow for consistency to be more aptly rewarded.
I don't think I'm crazy about the podium thing as a whole, but I do think this is a great idea.

As long as the 2nd and third place finishers wouldn't do burnouts, I'd be OK with it.

I don't care much one way or the other. The other series that feature podium displays usually have fewer participants than Cup or X, so we're talking a smaller percentage of the field than they celebrate. I understand the top 3 have to hang around for press access anyway; might as well give them some face time with the fans too.

I'd love to see the top three or five finishers get more points than they currently do, but the points system is a whole 'nudder topic.

First the wave-around and now this?? NASCAR seems to be all about rewarding failure these days. Communism, I suspect it runs rampant down in there in Daytona.

First the wave-around and now this?? NASCAR seems to be all about rewarding failure these days. Communism, I suspect it runs rampant down in there in Daytona.
NASCAR hasn't announced anything. You may need to go back and read the first post.

Climb up on the l'il stair-steps for the nice camera people after the usual interviews.

Do it last. It'll be such fun. A "partner" to pay for naming rights will be necessary. They'll need little flags the drivers can hold when the photographers are ready.

More sponsor exposure can't be a bad thing? Plus making two guys who just were beating and banging on each other for a win stand next to each other might create more perceived rivalries between drivers.

Wow , three drivers in a race really tying . Why not honor 5 ? That would make a real race out of it .:(

I don't hate this idea. Gives sponsors a little more time on air (which is good for buy-in), and if you combine it with a points boost for the "podium" finishers, could make for more heated battles behind the leader. Could be good. But it would have to be more than just a gimmick. There'd have to be something in it other than a special step to stand on during the post race interview.

The more I think about it the more I like it...drivers could could fight on the podium....

Climb up on the l'il stair-steps for the nice camera people after the usual interviews.

Do it last. It'll be such fun. A "partner" to pay for naming rights will be necessary. They'll need little flags the drivers can hold when the photographers are ready.
It'd require three times as many hats :rolleyes: Danged if I know how they'd fit all three cars up there.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but it would probably also require three times as many Monster girls. That seems to be important to some around here lately.

Last edited:
The possibilities...........................

Does anyone know if one can shake the Monster stuff up for sprayin'? That's such a unexpected, original 'n spontaneous activity for the winners to engage in.

Would love to see the podium after the ole' chrome horn is used, i.e. after the Richmond race with Carl and KB. That could be interesting.

I think all of this could really be solved with better TV coverage. Right now, they show victory lane and then immediately punt post race coverage to FS1 or NBCSN. Just interview the top 3 or 5 finishers for more than 5 seconds and show it as the original broadcast after the race.

The possibilities...........................

Does anyone know if one can shake the Monster stuff up for sprayin'? That's such a unexpected, original 'n spontaneous activity for the winners to engage in.

Most varieties of Monster are indeed carbonated.

heres a question for ya...when Danica wins, do the monster girls kiss her?

I am sure it will bring back all the fans that left.

What if one of the changes were a change from just celebrating the winner to celebrating the top 3 finish Podium Style?

I only ask because I just heard Rusty Wallace talking about the on NASCAR Radio a few minutes ago. He talked about finishing 3rd and getting to stand up and celebrate at Daytona in his most recent venture into racing. He thought that would be something good for NASCAR. What do you think?

I don't like the idea.

“Second place is just the first loser.”

Dale Earnhardt

Dale is dead.

Thanks for the reminder as it had slipped my mind that Dale had passed. Regardless it doesn't change the fact that second place is just the first loser and maybe if podium finishes are adopted participation ribbons could be given to the rest of the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom